David Fries | 27 Feb 04:12 2012
Picon

ath5k phy0: gain calibration timeout

Wireless network stopped working after 22 hours with ath5k, I have the
following message repeating, suspending to ram and back was enough to
get it talking again.
ath5k phy0: gain calibration timeout (2462MHz)

I previously was running 3.2-rc5 for a month and a half straight
without any wireless issues, I just upgraded to 3.3-rc1, the message
started 22 hours after booting the newer kernel.  This ath5k is
running hostapd 1:0.7.3-4 with WPA-EAP and had no clients for the 12
hours before the calibration message started, and had no clients for
hours after until I tried to connect and found I couldn't.
While I was unable to connect, I flipped
the laptop rfkill switch and the gain calibration timeouts continued,
disabling rfkill and they still continued.  That's when I did a
suspend to memory and resume and found it recovered.  While it was
working I tried rfkill and it no longer was talking after disabling
rfkill, I thought it was resuming previously, but I don't use that
very often.

I revered the following two comments and will see if I run into any
more problems.  I can test patches.
ath5k: We always do full calibration on AR5210
dafae6af0336958e9e2eb67cc5e4e31d6d13b308
ath5k: Calibration re-work
ce169aca0d823d38465127023e3d571816e6666c

Feb 24 21:54:23 Pulsar kernel: ath5k 0000:06:02.0: registered as 'phy0'
Feb 24 21:54:23 Pulsar kernel: ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x63
Feb 24 21:54:23 Pulsar kernel: ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a direct regpair map
Feb 24 21:54:23 Pulsar kernel: ath: Country alpha2 being used: 00
(Continue reading)

Felix Fietkau | 27 Feb 13:07 2012

Re: ath5k phy0: gain calibration timeout

On 2012-02-27 4:12 AM, David Fries wrote:
> Wireless network stopped working after 22 hours with ath5k, I have the
> following message repeating, suspending to ram and back was enough to
> get it talking again.
> ath5k phy0: gain calibration timeout (2462MHz)
>
> I previously was running 3.2-rc5 for a month and a half straight
> without any wireless issues, I just upgraded to 3.3-rc1, the message
> started 22 hours after booting the newer kernel.  This ath5k is
> running hostapd 1:0.7.3-4 with WPA-EAP and had no clients for the 12
> hours before the calibration message started, and had no clients for
> hours after until I tried to connect and found I couldn't.
> While I was unable to connect, I flipped
> the laptop rfkill switch and the gain calibration timeouts continued,
> disabling rfkill and they still continued.  That's when I did a
> suspend to memory and resume and found it recovered.  While it was
> working I tried rfkill and it no longer was talking after disabling
> rfkill, I thought it was resuming previously, but I don't use that
> very often.
>
> I revered the following two comments and will see if I run into any
> more problems.  I can test patches.
> ath5k: We always do full calibration on AR5210
> dafae6af0336958e9e2eb67cc5e4e31d6d13b308
> ath5k: Calibration re-work
> ce169aca0d823d38465127023e3d571816e6666c
Please try applying the following two patches:
http://nbd.name/gitweb.cgi?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=package/mac80211/patches/440-ath5k_calibrate_no_queue_stop.patch;hb=HEAD
http://nbd.name/gitweb.cgi?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=package/mac80211/patches/441-ath5k_no_agc_recalibration.patch;hb=HEAD

(Continue reading)

David Fries | 27 Feb 15:42 2012
Picon

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 01:07:14PM +0100, Felix Fietkau wrote:
> On 2012-02-27 4:12 AM, David Fries wrote:
> > Wireless network stopped working after 22 hours with ath5k, I have the
> > following message repeating, suspending to ram and back was enough to
> > get it talking again.
> > ath5k phy0: gain calibration timeout (2462MHz)
> >
> > I previously was running 3.2-rc5 for a month and a half straight
> > without any wireless issues, I just upgraded to 3.3-rc1, the message
> > started 22 hours after booting the newer kernel.  This ath5k is
> > running hostapd 1:0.7.3-4 with WPA-EAP and had no clients for the 12
> > hours before the calibration message started, and had no clients for
> > hours after until I tried to connect and found I couldn't.
> > While I was unable to connect, I flipped
> > the laptop rfkill switch and the gain calibration timeouts continued,
> > disabling rfkill and they still continued.  That's when I did a
> > suspend to memory and resume and found it recovered.  While it was
> > working I tried rfkill and it no longer was talking after disabling
> > rfkill, I thought it was resuming previously, but I don't use that
> > very often.
> >
> > I revered the following two comments and will see if I run into any
> > more problems.  I can test patches.
> > ath5k: We always do full calibration on AR5210
> > dafae6af0336958e9e2eb67cc5e4e31d6d13b308
> > ath5k: Calibration re-work
> > ce169aca0d823d38465127023e3d571816e6666c
> Please try applying the following two patches:
> http://nbd.name/gitweb.cgi?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=package/mac80211/patches/440-ath5k_calibrate_no_queue_stop.patch;hb=HEAD
> http://nbd.name/gitweb.cgi?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=package/mac80211/patches/441-ath5k_no_agc_recalibration.patch;hb=HEAD
(Continue reading)

David Fries | 10 Mar 19:56 2012
Picon

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 08:42:55AM -0600, David Fries wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 01:07:14PM +0100, Felix Fietkau wrote:
> > On 2012-02-27 4:12 AM, David Fries wrote:
> > > Wireless network stopped working after 22 hours with ath5k, I have the
> > > following message repeating, suspending to ram and back was enough to
> > > get it talking again.
> > > ath5k phy0: gain calibration timeout (2462MHz)
> > >
> > Please try applying the following two patches:
> > http://nbd.name/gitweb.cgi?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=package/mac80211/patches/440-ath5k_calibrate_no_queue_stop.patch;hb=HEAD
> > http://nbd.name/gitweb.cgi?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=package/mac80211/patches/441-ath5k_no_agc_recalibration.patch;hb=HEAD

No problems running with the above two patches after 12 days.  No
calibration timeout messages either.  Thanks.

David Fries <david@...>    PGP pub CB1EE8F0
http://fries.net/~david/

Adrian Chadd | 10 Mar 23:32 2012
Picon

On 10 March 2012 10:56, David Fries <david@...> wrote:

>> > http://nbd.name/gitweb.cgi?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=package/mac80211/patches/440-ath5k_calibrate_no_queue_stop.patch;hb=HEAD
>> > http://nbd.name/gitweb.cgi?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=package/mac80211/patches/441-ath5k_no_agc_recalibration.patch;hb=HEAD
>
> No problems running with the above two patches after 12 days.  No
> calibration timeout messages either.  Thanks.

Sweet. I did do a bit of digging (and forgot to email the list) - yes,
those initial calibrations should only be done once, after a (full)
chip cold reset. They shouldn't be done periodically.

Adrian

Adrian Chadd | 10 Mar 23:32 2012
Picon

Re: ath5k phy0: gain calibration timeout

On 10 March 2012 10:56, David Fries <david@...> wrote:

>> > http://nbd.name/gitweb.cgi?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=package/mac80211/patches/440-ath5k_calibrate_no_queue_stop.patch;hb=HEAD
>> > http://nbd.name/gitweb.cgi?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=package/mac80211/patches/441-ath5k_no_agc_recalibration.patch;hb=HEAD
>
> No problems running with the above two patches after 12 days.  No
> calibration timeout messages either.  Thanks.

Sweet. I did do a bit of digging (and forgot to email the list) - yes,
those initial calibrations should only be done once, after a (full)
chip cold reset. They shouldn't be done periodically.

Adrian
David Fries | 10 Mar 19:56 2012
Picon

Re: ath5k phy0: gain calibration timeout

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 08:42:55AM -0600, David Fries wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 01:07:14PM +0100, Felix Fietkau wrote:
> > On 2012-02-27 4:12 AM, David Fries wrote:
> > > Wireless network stopped working after 22 hours with ath5k, I have the
> > > following message repeating, suspending to ram and back was enough to
> > > get it talking again.
> > > ath5k phy0: gain calibration timeout (2462MHz)
> > >
> > Please try applying the following two patches:
> > http://nbd.name/gitweb.cgi?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=package/mac80211/patches/440-ath5k_calibrate_no_queue_stop.patch;hb=HEAD
> > http://nbd.name/gitweb.cgi?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=package/mac80211/patches/441-ath5k_no_agc_recalibration.patch;hb=HEAD

No problems running with the above two patches after 12 days.  No
calibration timeout messages either.  Thanks.

David Fries <david@...>    PGP pub CB1EE8F0
http://fries.net/~david/
hamelg | 11 Apr 13:39 2012
Picon

Felix Fietkau <nbd <at> ...> writes:

> On 2012-02-27 4:12 AM, David Fries wrote:
> > Wireless network stopped working after 22 hours with ath5k, I have the
> > following message repeating, suspending to ram and back was enough to
> > get it talking again.
> > ath5k phy0: gain calibration timeout (2462MHz)
> >
> > I revered the following two comments and will see if I run into any
> > more problems.  I can test patches.
> > ath5k: We always do full calibration on AR5210
> > dafae6af0336958e9e2eb67cc5e4e31d6d13b308
> > ath5k: Calibration re-work
> > ce169aca0d823d38465127023e3d571816e6666c
> Please try applying the following two patches:

http://nbd.name/gitweb.cgi?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=package/mac80211/patches/440-ath5k_calibrate_no_queue_stop.patch;hb=HEAD

http://nbd.name/gitweb.cgi?p=openwrt.git;a=blob_plain;f=package/mac80211/patches/441-ath5k_no_agc_recalibration.patch;hb=HEAD

Hello,
archlinux users are affected by this issue after upgrading the linux kernel in
3.3.1 :
Do you known if these two patches have been merged in the mainstream branch ?
thank you

hamelg | 11 Apr 19:55 2012
Picon

hamelg <hamelg <at> ...> writes:

> archlinux users are affected by this issue after upgrading the linux kernel in
> 3.3.1 :
> Do you known if these two patches have been merged in the mainstream branch ?

I have checked : these patches are not in the v3.3.1.
They are merged in 3.4-rc1. Must I wait the 3.4 ?

David Fries | 27 Feb 15:42 2012
Picon