naveen yadav | 22 Nov 09:35 2011
Picon

busybox utility

Dear all,

I am checking busybox utility, Is there any other package available
similar to busybox which  we can use in embedded system .

Thanks
Geoff Levand | 24 Nov 21:02 2011

Re: busybox utility

Hi Naveen,

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 14:05 +0530, naveen yadav wrote:
> I am checking busybox utility, Is there any other package available
> similar to busybox which  we can use in embedded system .

I don't know anything about it, but I've recently heard  mention of
toybox as an alternative to busybox because of its BSD-type license:

  http://www.landley.net/code/toybox/about.html

-Geoff

Thomas Petazzoni | 22 Nov 10:34 2011

Re: busybox utility

Le Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:05:14 +0530,
naveen yadav <yad.naveen <at> gmail.com> a écrit :

> I am checking busybox utility, Is there any other package available
> similar to busybox which  we can use in embedded system .

This question is not kernel-related, so it shouldn't be posted on
linux-kernel <at>  or kernelnewbies <at> .

As an alternative to Busybox, you might want to have a look at
Embutils <http://www.fefe.de/embutils/> or probably the Toolbox thing
from Android. But none of them have the same amount of features that
Busybox has.

Thomas

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Jeff Haran | 22 Nov 19:11 2011

RE: busybox utility

Oh, give me a break. "kernelnewbies", as in "newbie", as in don't know their way around yet.

It's a valid point that questions like this shouldn't go to linux-kernel, but if newbies can't post
questions to a newbies mailing list without fear of being chastised for it, then I don't what the list is for.

Jeff Haran

Thomas Petazzoni | 22 Nov 19:52 2011

Re: busybox utility

Le Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:11:26 -0800,
"Jeff Haran" <jharan <at> bytemobile.com> a écrit :

> > This question is not kernel-related, so it shouldn't be posted on
> > linux-kernel <at>  or kernelnewbies <at> .
>
> Oh, give me a break. "kernelnewbies", as in "newbie", as in don't
> know their way around yet.
>
> It's a valid point that questions like this shouldn't go to
> linux-kernel, but if newbies can't post questions to a newbies
> mailing list without fear of being chastised for it, then I don't
> what the list is for.

Sorry if my sentence felt offensive. I think the purpose of the newbies
mailing list is also for newbies to *learn* their way around, and
explaining that posting a question on the right mailing list is I think
important. I have no problem with "newbies" doing mistakes, otherwise I
wouldn't be subscribed on this list and I wouldn't reply to questions.
So, really, my statement was really for information, but I understand
that my wording might have been understood differently. Apologies if
that was the case.

Best regards,

Thomas

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons

naveen yadav | 23 Nov 05:52 2011
Picon

Re: busybox utility

Dear Friends thanks for reply,

I post on Kernel newbies since i could not found any good place to post.
We do not want to use busybox due to its licence and security issue.
So is there any alternate to busybox ..

Thanks

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni <at> free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Le Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:11:26 -0800,
> "Jeff Haran" <jharan <at> bytemobile.com> a écrit :
>
>> > This question is not kernel-related, so it shouldn't be posted on
>> > linux-kernel <at>  or kernelnewbies <at> .
>>
>> Oh, give me a break. "kernelnewbies", as in "newbie", as in don't
>> know their way around yet.
>>
>> It's a valid point that questions like this shouldn't go to
>> linux-kernel, but if newbies can't post questions to a newbies
>> mailing list without fear of being chastised for it, then I don't
>> what the list is for.
>
> Sorry if my sentence felt offensive. I think the purpose of the newbies
> mailing list is also for newbies to *learn* their way around, and
> explaining that posting a question on the right mailing list is I think
> important. I have no problem with "newbies" doing mistakes, otherwise I
> wouldn't be subscribed on this list and I wouldn't reply to questions.
> So, really, my statement was really for information, but I understand
(Continue reading)

Mandeep Sandhu | 23 Nov 06:12 2011
Picon

Re: busybox utility

> I post on Kernel newbies since i could not found any good place to post.
> We do not want to use busybox due to its licence and security issue.

What security issue are you concerned about? Can you explain your
concern a little more.

Also, if you have some busybox specific question, ppl on the busybox
mailing list will be able to help you better.

-mandeep
Ezequiel García | 24 Nov 14:52 2011
Picon

Re: busybox utility

> I post on Kernel newbies since i could not found any good
> place to post.

Have you tried this?

http://busybox.net/lists.html

Ezequiel.