lifrsc.m.klswlff | 29 May 13:47 2012

LLVM 3.1 and MesaLib 8.0.[23]

BLFS updated LLVM to Version 3.1 on May 26th, 2012. I compiled LLVM 3.1
successfully, but compiling MesaLib failed. The code snippets at the end
of this message show why: LLVM has changed a function definition
incompatibly from v3.0 to v3.1 but MesaLib is using the old version
(even in version 8.0.3). As long as MesaLib doesn't know differences in
LLVM 3.x versions BLFS shouldn't go past LLVM 3.0.
In my opinion MesaLib is be the most important user of LLVM in the
context of BLFS ; the gallium drivers for ATI/AMD-chips need it.

And here are the code snippets:

--- llvm-3.0.src/include/llvm/Support/TargetRegistry.h	2011-09-07
19:24:38.000000000 +0200
+++ llvm-3.1.src/include/llvm/Support/TargetRegistry.h	2012-04-02
08:09:36.000000000 +0200

     MCInstPrinter *createMCInstPrinter(unsigned SyntaxVariant,
                                        const MCAsmInfo &MAI,
+                                       const MCInstrInfo &MII,
+                                       const MCRegisterInfo &MRI,
                                        const MCSubtargetInfo &STI) const {
       if (!MCInstPrinterCtorFn)
         return 0;
-      return MCInstPrinterCtorFn(*this, SyntaxVariant, MAI, STI);
+      return MCInstPrinterCtorFn(*this, SyntaxVariant, MAI, MII, MRI, STI);
     }

Mesa-8.0.[23]/src/gallium/auxiliary/gallivm/lp_bld_debug.cpp :

(Continue reading)

Thomas de Roo | 29 May 14:40 2012

Re: LLVM 3.1 and MesaLib 8.0.[23]

I can confirm that MesaLib 8.0.2 and 8.0.3 do not compile with llvm-3.1.

Groet,
Thomas

Namens lifrsc.m.klswlff <at> spamgourmet.com
[...]

Bruce Dubbs | 29 May 17:28 2012
Picon

Re: LLVM 3.1 and MesaLib 8.0.[23]

lifrsc.m.klswlff <at> spamgourmet.com wrote:
> BLFS updated LLVM to Version 3.1 on May 26th, 2012. I compiled LLVM 3.1
> successfully, but compiling MesaLib failed. The code snippets at the end
> of this message show why: LLVM has changed a function definition
> incompatibly from v3.0 to v3.1 but MesaLib is using the old version
> (even in version 8.0.3). As long as MesaLib doesn't know differences in
> LLVM 3.x versions BLFS shouldn't go past LLVM 3.0.
> In my opinion MesaLib is be the most important user of LLVM in the
> context of BLFS ; the gallium drivers for ATI/AMD-chips need it.

It looks like it's being addressed in Mesalib, e.g.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-commit/2012-May/036915.html

I'd rather patch Mesalib than revert llvm and then update both later.

   -- Bruce

> And here are the code snippets:
>
> --- llvm-3.0.src/include/llvm/Support/TargetRegistry.h	2011-09-07
> 19:24:38.000000000 +0200
> +++ llvm-3.1.src/include/llvm/Support/TargetRegistry.h	2012-04-02
> 08:09:36.000000000 +0200
>
>      MCInstPrinter *createMCInstPrinter(unsigned SyntaxVariant,
>                                         const MCAsmInfo &MAI,
> +                                       const MCInstrInfo &MII,
> +                                       const MCRegisterInfo &MRI,
(Continue reading)

Bruce Dubbs | 29 May 17:32 2012
Picon

Re: LLVM 3.1 and MesaLib 8.0.[23]

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> lifrsc.m.klswlff <at> spamgourmet.com wrote:
>> BLFS updated LLVM to Version 3.1 on May 26th, 2012. I compiled LLVM 3.1
>> successfully, but compiling MesaLib failed. The code snippets at the end
>> of this message show why: LLVM has changed a function definition
>> incompatibly from v3.0 to v3.1 but MesaLib is using the old version
>> (even in version 8.0.3). As long as MesaLib doesn't know differences in
>> LLVM 3.x versions BLFS shouldn't go past LLVM 3.0.
>> In my opinion MesaLib is be the most important user of LLVM in the
>> context of BLFS ; the gallium drivers for ATI/AMD-chips need it.
>
> It looks like it's being addressed in Mesalib, e.g.
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-commit/2012-May/036915.html
>
> I'd rather patch Mesalib than revert llvm and then update both later.

See if this patch works for you.

https://417363.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=313071

   -- Bruce