Bruce Dubbs | 5 Jul 23:46 2013
Picon

spidermonkey

As I go through the packages in the book, I've looked upstream at
spidermonkey.  There appear to be two versions:

js185-1.0.0.tar.gz   31-Mar-2011
mozjs17.0.0.tar.gz   25-Mar-2013

We are using the older version.  I do not see any references to this
elsewhere in the book.

What I find about the newer version is:

"SpiderMonkey 17 is the JavaScript engine that shipped in Firefox 17."

"SpiderMonkey 17 is not binary-compatible with previous releases, nor is
it source-code compatible. Many JSAPI types, functions, and callback
signatures have changed, though most of them still have the same names
and do the same things. Applications will need significant changes, but
most of those changes will be detected by the C/C++ compiler, so they
are easy to detect and updating the code is a fairly straightforward job."

My question is whether we need the later version or the earlier version?
  Both?  Neither?

Ken, you added spidermonkey in Jan 2012.  Can you give some background?

   -- Bruce

P.S. There is a new program, js17.

$ ./js17 --help
(Continue reading)

Armin K. | 6 Jul 00:00 2013
Picon

Re: spidermonkey

On 07/05/2013 11:46 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> As I go through the packages in the book, I've looked upstream at
> spidermonkey.  There appear to be two versions:
>
> js185-1.0.0.tar.gz   31-Mar-2011
> mozjs17.0.0.tar.gz   25-Mar-2013
>
> We are using the older version.  I do not see any references to this
> elsewhere in the book.

Polkit uses it in current BLFS. It is required for GNOME JS engine
(gjs), too. I think newer version of GJS can use SpiderMonkey 17.0, but
I am not sure about Polkit.

$ grep -r linkend=\"SpiderMonkey\"
gnome/platform/gjs.xml:      <xref linkend="SpiderMonkey"/>
postlfs/security/polkit.xml:      <xref linkend="SpiderMonkey"/>

> What I find about the newer version is:
>
> "SpiderMonkey 17 is the JavaScript engine that shipped in Firefox 17."
>
> "SpiderMonkey 17 is not binary-compatible with previous releases, nor is
> it source-code compatible. Many JSAPI types, functions, and callback
> signatures have changed, though most of them still have the same names
> and do the same things. Applications will need significant changes, but
> most of those changes will be detected by the C/C++ compiler, so they
> are easy to detect and updating the code is a fairly straightforward job."

(Continue reading)

Bruce Dubbs | 6 Jul 00:02 2013
Picon

Re: spidermonkey

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> As I go through the packages in the book, I've looked upstream at
> spidermonkey.  There appear to be two versions:
>
> js185-1.0.0.tar.gz   31-Mar-2011
> mozjs17.0.0.tar.gz   25-Mar-2013
>
> We are using the older version.  I do not see any references to this
> elsewhere in the book.
>
> What I find about the newer version is:
>
> "SpiderMonkey 17 is the JavaScript engine that shipped in Firefox 17."
>
> "SpiderMonkey 17 is not binary-compatible with previous releases, nor is
> it source-code compatible. Many JSAPI types, functions, and callback
> signatures have changed, though most of them still have the same names
> and do the same things. Applications will need significant changes, but
> most of those changes will be detected by the C/C++ compiler, so they
> are easy to detect and updating the code is a fairly straightforward job."
>
> My question is whether we need the later version or the earlier version?
>   Both?  Neither?
>
> Ken, you added spidermonkey in Jan 2012.  Can you give some background?

Oh, I see now.  It's needed indirectly for Gnome applications (polkit
and gjs).  I was confused because there are capital letters in the id.

It looks like a mistake to try to do something with mozjs17.
(Continue reading)

Ken Moffat | 6 Jul 01:38 2013

Re: spidermonkey