Omar | 26 Jun 04:53 2012
Picon

wget: unable to resolve host address

Hi, all,

I used wget to download and got the following prompt.

http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/files/BLFS/svn/xorg/proto-7.7-1.md5
Resolving anduin.linuxfromscratch.org... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address `anduin.linuxfromscratch.org'

I doubt that my parsing of domain name is wrong. For other example I can get response from "ping 192.168.x.x"
but can't from "ping www.google.com" and it tells me "unknown host".

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Omar

Armin K. | 26 Jun 12:39 2012
Picon

Re: wget: unable to resolve host address

On 06/26/2012 04:53 AM, Omar wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I used wget to download and got the following prompt.
>
> http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/files/BLFS/svn/xorg/proto-7.7-1.md5
> Resolving anduin.linuxfromscratch.org... failed: Name or service not known.
> wget: unable to resolve host address `anduin.linuxfromscratch.org'
>

> I doubt that my parsing of domain name is wrong. For other example I can get response from "ping
192.168.x.x" but can't from "ping www.google.com" and it tells me "unknown host".

> Any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance.
> Omar

You did not create /etc/resolv.conf at the end of LFS or you created it
wrong. Copy /etc/resolv.conf from your host if you are still in chroot.

Andrew Benton | 26 Jun 17:24 2012

Re: wget: unable to resolve host address

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:55:32 +0100
Omar <vicpli <at> yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I used wget to download and got the following prompt.
>
> http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/files/BLFS/svn/xorg/proto-7.7-1.md5
> Resolving anduin.linuxfromscratch.org... failed: Name or service not known.
> wget: unable to resolve host address `anduin.linuxfromscratch.org'
>

> I doubt that my parsing of domain name is wrong. For other example I can get response from "ping
192.168.x.x" but can't from "ping www.google.com" and it tells me "unknown host".

> Any suggestions?

cat > /etc/resolv.conf << HERE_DOC
nameserver 8.8.4.4