Todd Simpson | 8 Nov 19:21 2011

Missing /lib/lsb/init_params file

The /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions file, which is part of the LFS 7.0 boot
scripts package, tries to source the contents of /lib/lsb/init_params.
I don't think the latter file is provided by any LFS package and I
didn't see anything in the book that directed the reader to create it.
I suspected that /lib/lsb/init_params was an obsolete name
for /etc/sysconfig/rc.site, so I assume /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions could
be changed to source that instead.

I also noticed that in the LFS book, Section 7.7.1 says
that /lib/lsb/init-functions reads an optional configuration
file, /etc/sysconfig/init_params.  I think this should
be /etc/sysconfig/rc.site.

Bruce Dubbs | 8 Nov 19:49 2011
Picon

Re: Missing /lib/lsb/init_params file

Todd Simpson wrote:
> The /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions file, which is part of the LFS 7.0 boot
> scripts package, tries to source the contents of /lib/lsb/init_params.
> I don't think the latter file is provided by any LFS package and I
> didn't see anything in the book that directed the reader to create it.
> I suspected that /lib/lsb/init_params was an obsolete name
> for /etc/sysconfig/rc.site, so I assume /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions could
> be changed to source that instead.
>
> I also noticed that in the LFS book, Section 7.7.1 says
> that /lib/lsb/init-functions reads an optional configuration
> file, /etc/sysconfig/init_params.  I think this should
> be /etc/sysconfig/rc.site.

You are right about the text in 7.7.1.  There was a change between rc1
and the final release and this was missed.  /etc/sysconfig/init_params
should be /etc/sysconfig/rc.site.

The /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions file is only present for backward BLFS
compatibility, but it should not source anything.  It is not used in
LFS.  The sequence is:

inittab calls /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc
   rc sources /lib/lsb/init_functions
     init_functions sources /etc/sysconfig/rc.site (if used)

Other bootscripts also source /lib/lsb/init_functions.

I will make an errata entry and update the current development book.
Thanks for the report.