Kristian Poul Herkild | 7 Jun 01:09 2012
Picon

AMD Catalyst drivers and LFS-7.1ish

How on Earth does one manage to get that binary piece of junk to work?
I've tried several approaches now, and after a few weeks with no luck
getting first 12.2 and now 12.4 to work I'm about to give up.

Has anybody managed to get AMD Catalyst drivers to work with
LFS-7.1ish?

Kind regards
Kristian Poul Herkild

Eleanore Boyd | 7 Jun 01:16 2012

Re: AMD Catalyst drivers and LFS-7.1ish

On 6/6/2012 6:09 PM, Kristian Poul Herkild wrote:
> How on Earth does one manage to get that binary piece of junk to work?
> I've tried several approaches now, and after a few weeks with no luck
> getting first 12.2 and now 12.4 to work I'm about to give up.
>
> Has anybody managed to get AMD Catalyst drivers to work with
> LFS-7.1ish?
>
> Kind regards
> Kristian Poul Herkild

.......what? What are you talking about? The LFS system, the Linux
kernel, the drivers, what?

And no binary can be called a piece of junk unless it's 1: ancient, or
2: buggy. Plus, it's rather rude to say such things on this list, so
please clean up your language.

Elly

Kristian Poul Herkild | 7 Jun 01:39 2012
Picon

On 2012-06-07 01:16:27 +0200 Eleanore Boyd <cara117 <at> cox.net> wrote:

> On 6/6/2012 6:09 PM, Kristian Poul Herkild wrote:
>> How on Earth does one manage to get that binary piece of junk to
>> work?
>> I've tried several approaches now, and after a few weeks with no luck
>> getting first 12.2 and now 12.4 to work I'm about to give up.
>>
>> Has anybody managed to get AMD Catalyst drivers to work with
>> LFS-7.1ish?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Kristian Poul Herkild
>>
> ........what? What are you talking about? The LFS system, the Linux
> kernel,
> the drivers, what?
>
> And no binary can be called a piece of junk unless it's 1: ancient,
> or 2:
> buggy. Plus, it's rather rude to say such things on this list, so
> please
> clean up your language.
>
> Elly

Don't get your knickers wet, Elly. And don't mail me directly again.
Only reply to the list. If your mail client cannot do that, please
change mail client.
(Continue reading)

Ken Moffat | 7 Jun 02:16 2012

Re: [lfs-support] AMD Catalyst drivers and LFS-7.1ish

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 01:39:00AM +0200, Kristian Poul Herkild wrote:

> The 'binary piece of junk' I referred to was the proprietary, binary
> blob from AMD known as AMD Catalyst (drivers for Radeon graphics
> cards), as is evident from the subject line. They are known to be
> buggy, and besides that all proprietary, non-free, closed-source,
> binary-blob software qualify as junk - by definition.

 Why would you want to run such junk ?  For most of us,
xf86-video-ati is ok - for bleeding edge hardware you might want to
use the master branch from
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/ (you can get
.tar.gz there, instead of doing a git pull)

[...]
> P.S. Anybody who replies directly to my private mail address will have
> their mail address added to my kill-filter. Only reply to list.
> Please.

 In that case, please fix YOUR mail client to not request a personal
reply.  Your mail headers, as received here:

Subject: Re: [lfs-support] AMD Catalyst drivers and LFS-7.1ish
(Continue reading)

Andrew Benton | 7 Jun 02:17 2012

Re: AMD Catalyst drivers and LFS-7.1ish

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 00:09:31 +0100
Kristian Poul Herkild <kristian <at> herkild.dk> wrote:

> How on Earth does one manage to get that binary piece of junk to work?
> I've tried several approaches now, and after a few weeks with no luck
> getting first 12.2 and now 12.4 to work I'm about to give up.
>
> Has anybody managed to get AMD Catalyst drivers to work with
> LFS-7.1ish?

I did use it for a while but it was years ago (long before LFS 7.1). If
I were to try again I'd install Xorg (maybe an old version as newer
versions of Xorg always used to break frglx) then I'd recompile the
kernel (maybe an old version as frglx often didn't work with the
current kernel) and I would enable modules and disable some of the
graphics options (IIRC it didn't like the framebuffer so no more
penguins for you!) then I would install the kernel,
make modules_install and leave the kernel source where it was. Reboot
into the new kernel and and try and run the catalyst frglx
installer. Then I'd spend a couple of days Googling on the error
messages and reading posts from the Gentoo forums until I gave up again
in disgust. Why did I waste my time on this junk again?

Actually I may be going round this cycle again in the near future if
the stories about Steam coming to Linux pan out :)

Andy

PS, as this topic involves Xorg it should really be discussed on the
BLFS Support mailing list
(Continue reading)

Simon Geard | 7 Jun 09:39 2012
Picon

On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 01:09 +0200, Kristian Poul Herkild wrote:
> How on Earth does one manage to get that binary piece of junk to work?
> I've tried several approaches now, and after a few weeks with no luck
> getting first 12.2 and now 12.4 to work I'm about to give up.
>
> Has anybody managed to get AMD Catalyst drivers to work with
> LFS-7.1ish?

Is there a reason you want to (or have to) use the Catalyst drivers
instead of the open ones? The latter are probably less painful, and
probably good enough unless you're doing something particularly
demanding...

Simon.