Humble Chirammal | 22 Oct 06:41 2007
Picon

lvreduce

Hi All,
  One of the customer ran  "lvreduce" command without reducing the
filesystem (resize2fs ).  After the system was rebooted got this error.

<<snip>>

The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 19922944 blocks
The physical size of the device is 13369344 blocks
Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
 <<snip>>

Is there any way for data recovery???

Welcomes your valid responses

Regards
Humble

Itamar Reis Peixoto | 22 Oct 08:14 2007
Picon

Re: lvreduce

try to grow the partition again

make a backup first (dd is your friend)

--------------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto

e-mail/msn: itamar <at> ispbrasil.com.br
skype: itamarjp
icq: 81053601
+55 11 4063 5033
>  One of the customer ran  "lvreduce" command without reducing the
> filesystem (resize2fs ).  After the system was rebooted got this error.
>
> <<snip>>
>
> The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 19922944 blocks
> The physical size of the device is 13369344 blocks
> Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
> <<snip>>
>
> Is there any way for data recovery???
(Continue reading)

Stuart D. Gathman | 23 Oct 02:36 2007

Re: lvreduce

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Humble Chirammal wrote:

>   One of the customer ran  "lvreduce" command without reducing the
> filesystem (resize2fs ).  After the system was rebooted got this error.
>
> <<snip>>
>
> The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 19922944 blocks
> The physical size of the device is 13369344 blocks
> Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
>  <<snip>>
>
> Is there any way for data recovery???

Stop them from doing anymore LVM operations until recovery.
If nothing else has been done, undo the lvreduce with vgrestore.
LVM keeps backup versions of the metadata (/etc/lvm/archive on my
system).  I'll let the experts provide the exact syntax.  I haven't
had to do it yet :-)
If they have used the freed extents (lvextend or lvcreate or ...),
then they are hosed.

	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart <at> bmsi.com>

Alasdair G Kergon | 23 Oct 03:08 2007
Picon

Re: lvreduce

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 08:36:26PM -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Humble Chirammal wrote:
> >   One of the customer ran  "lvreduce" command without reducing the
> > filesystem (resize2fs ).  After the system was rebooted got this error.
> > <<snip>>
> > The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 19922944 blocks
> > The physical size of the device is 13369344 blocks
> > Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
> >  <<snip>>
> > Is there any way for data recovery???
> Stop them from doing anymore LVM operations until recovery.
> If nothing else has been done, undo the lvreduce with vgrestore.
> LVM keeps backup versions of the metadata (/etc/lvm/archive on my
> system).  I'll let the experts provide the exact syntax.  I haven't
> had to do it yet :-)
> If they have used the freed extents (lvextend or lvcreate or ...),
> then they are hosed.

Indeed - as long as they made no other changes, 'vgcfgrestore' will undo the
lvreduce operation.  You can use '-ll' to check.

If they're using X, suggest trying the GUI (packages system-config-lvm)
interface to carry out resizing.

Alasdair

agk <at> redhat.com