Sergio Belkin | 10 Aug 15:08 2012
Picon

Disable lvm mondorestore

Hi,

I'm trying to restore from a system with LVM, I'd want to use non-lvm
partitions, I've edited the fstab but still is failing. How can I
disable lvm creation and tell mondo to use common partitions?

Thanks in advance

Sergio Belkin  http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

Live Security Virtual Conference
Sergio Belkin | 10 Aug 16:15 2012
Picon

Re: Disable lvm mondorestore

2012/8/10 Sergio Belkin <sebelk <at> gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to restore from a system with LVM, I'd want to use non-lvm
> partitions, I've edited the fstab but still is failing. How can I
> disable lvm creation and tell mondo to use common partitions?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
Sorry for the insistance, but forget it about LVM I'd want to recover
the system in standard partitions, but mondorestore persists on try to
configure LVM,  is there a way to tell it hey it doesn't matter for me
if lvm cannot be restored.

Thanks in advance

Sergio Belkin  http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

Live Security Virtual Conference

Ross, Matthew S | 10 Aug 17:46 2012

Re: Disable lvm mondorestore

I wonder if the problem is coming from the i-want-my-lvm file? This would contain all the instructions to
recreate your LVM setup. You could edit this file directly (/tmp/i-want-my-lvm) or it looks like there
may be a mindi boot parameter excludedevs which will remove the devices from the mountlist and
i-want-my-lvm file (I have not tried this).

2012/8/10 Sergio Belkin <sebelk <at> gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to restore from a system with LVM, I'd want to use non-lvm
> partitions, I've edited the fstab but still is failing. How can I
> disable lvm creation and tell mondo to use common partitions?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
Sorry for the insistance, but forget it about LVM I'd want to recover
the system in standard partitions, but mondorestore persists on try to
configure LVM,  is there a way to tell it hey it doesn't matter for me
if lvm cannot be restored.

Thanks in advance

Peter Clark | 10 Aug 18:02 2012

Re: Disable lvm mondorestore

Hi,

Use expert mode, create the partitions by hand with fdisk and mke2fs etc and when you restore don't let it
format or partition anything.

On Aug 10, 2012, at 11:46 AM, "Ross, Matthew S" <matthew.s.ross <at> lmco.com> wrote:

> I wonder if the problem is coming from the i-want-my-lvm file? This would contain all the instructions to
recreate your LVM setup. You could edit this file directly (/tmp/i-want-my-lvm) or it looks like there
may be a mindi boot parameter excludedevs which will remove the devices from the mountlist and
i-want-my-lvm file (I have not tried this).

(Continue reading)

Sergio Belkin | 13 Aug 21:44 2012
Picon

Re: Disable lvm mondorestore

But how can I restore with no restoring anything?

2012/8/10 Peter Clark <pclark <at> pclark.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Use expert mode, create the partitions by hand with fdisk and mke2fs etc and when you restore don't let it
format or partition anything.

> On Aug 10, 2012, at 11:46 AM, "Ross, Matthew S" <matthew.s.ross <at> lmco.com> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if the problem is coming from the i-want-my-lvm file? This would contain all the instructions to
recreate your LVM setup. You could edit this file directly (/tmp/i-want-my-lvm) or it looks like there
may be a mindi boot parameter excludedevs which will remove the devices from the mountlist and
i-want-my-lvm file (I have not tried this).

(Continue reading)

Sergio Belkin | 13 Aug 21:45 2012

2012/8/13 Sergio Belkin <sebelk <at> gmail.com>:
> But how can I restore with no restoring anything?
>
> 2012/8/10 Peter Clark <pclark <at> pclark.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Use expert mode, create the partitions by hand with fdisk and mke2fs etc and when you restore don't let it
format or partition anything.

>> On Aug 10, 2012, at 11:46 AM, "Ross, Matthew S" <matthew.s.ross <at> lmco.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if the problem is coming from the i-want-my-lvm file? This would contain all the instructions
to recreate your LVM setup. You could edit this file directly (/tmp/i-want-my-lvm) or it looks like there
may be a mindi boot parameter excludedevs which will remove the devices from the mountlist and
i-want-my-lvm file (I have not tried this).

(Continue reading)

Peter Clark | 13 Aug 21:57 2012

Re: Disable lvm mondorestore

Hi,

Boot into expert mode, create the partitions you want, then start
'mondorestore'. It will load up the GUI. Don't let it do anything to the
partitions you created before starting mondorestore, just continue to the
file selection and restoral phase.

> But how can I restore with no restoring anything?
>
> 2012/8/10 Peter Clark <pclark <at> pclark.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Use expert mode, create the partitions by hand with fdisk and mke2fs etc
>> and when you restore don't let it format or partition anything.
>>
>> On Aug 10, 2012, at 11:46 AM, "Ross, Matthew S"
>> <matthew.s.ross <at> lmco.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if the problem is coming from the i-want-my-lvm file? This
>>> would contain all the instructions to recreate your LVM setup. You
>>> could edit this file directly (/tmp/i-want-my-lvm) or it looks like
>>> there may be a mindi boot parameter excludedevs which will remove the
>>> devices from the mountlist and i-want-my-lvm file (I have not tried
>>> this).

Sergio Belkin | 13 Aug 22:05 2012

2012/8/13 Peter Clark <pclark <at> pclark.com>:
> Don't let it do anything to the
> partitions

Sorry for the stupid question, but how can I do that, I don't find
such a option, I'm using mondo  v3.0.2-r3018

Sergio Belkin  http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

Live Security Virtual Conference
Sergio Belkin | 13 Aug 22:06 2012
Picon

Re: Disable lvm mondorestore

2012/8/13 Sergio Belkin <sebelk <at> gmail.com>:
> 2012/8/13 Peter Clark <pclark <at> pclark.com>:
>> Don't let it do anything to the
>> partitions
>
> Sorry for the stupid question, but how can I do that, I don't find
> such a option, I'm using mondo  v3.0.2-r3018

I mean: the GUI only give me again the Automatic and Interactive
options to restore...

Sergio Belkin  http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

Live Security Virtual Conference
Peter Clark | 13 Aug 22:11 2012

Re: Disable lvm mondorestore

When you boot the mindi CD there should be an 'expert' option. It will
boot to a bash prompt. From there partition and format your drives, then
start the mondorestore GUI and when it asks about formatting or
partitioning your drives don't let it since you've already done that by
hand. It's been a while since I've done a DR restore to bare metal by hand
so I'm not sure of the exact screens or language offhand.

> 2012/8/13 Sergio Belkin <sebelk <at> gmail.com>:
>> 2012/8/13 Peter Clark <pclark <at> pclark.com>:
>>> Don't let it do anything to the
>>> partitions
>>
>> Sorry for the stupid question, but how can I do that, I don't find
>> such a option, I'm using mondo  v3.0.2-r3018
>
> I mean: the GUI only give me again the Automatic and Interactive
> options to restore...

> Sergio Belkin  http://www.sergiobelkin.com
> Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
> LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

> Live Security Virtual Conference

Sergio Belkin | 13 Aug 22:30 2012
Picon

Re: Disable lvm mondorestore

2012/8/13 Peter Clark <pclark <at> pclark.com>:
> When you boot the mindi CD there should be an 'expert' option. It will
> boot to a bash prompt. From there partition and format your drives, then
> start the mondorestore GUI and when it asks about formatting or
> partitioning your drives don't let it since you've already done that by
> hand. It's been a while since I've done a DR restore to bare metal by hand
> so I'm not sure of the exact screens or language offhand.

>>> Sorry for the stupid question, but how can I do that, I don't find
>>> such a option, I'm using mondo  v3.0.2-r3018
>>
>> I mean: the GUI only give me again the Automatic and Interactive
>> options to restore...

Oh I see you say mindi, not mondo CD/DVD?

Sergio Belkin  http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

Live Security Virtual Conference
(Continue reading)

Sergio Belkin | 13 Aug 22:30 2012
Picon

Re: Disable lvm mondorestore

2012/8/13 Sergio Belkin <sebelk <at> gmail.com>:
> 2012/8/13 Peter Clark <pclark <at> pclark.com>:
>> When you boot the mindi CD there should be an 'expert' option. It will
>> boot to a bash prompt. From there partition and format your drives, then
>> start the mondorestore GUI and when it asks about formatting or
>> partitioning your drives don't let it since you've already done that by
>> hand. It's been a while since I've done a DR restore to bare metal by hand
>> so I'm not sure of the exact screens or language offhand.

>>> I mean: the GUI only give me again the Automatic and Interactive
>>> options to restore...
>>>

> Oh I see you say mindi, not mondo CD/DVD?

> Sergio Belkin  http://www.sergiobelkin.com
> Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
> LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org
(Continue reading)

Peter Clark | 13 Aug 22:52 2012

Re: Disable lvm mondorestore

The bootable CD Mondo makes when you run it is created by Mindi. Same CD.

On Aug 13, 2012, at 4:30 PM, Sergio Belkin <sebelk <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/8/13 Peter Clark <pclark <at> pclark.com>:
>> When you boot the mindi CD there should be an 'expert' option. It will
>> boot to a bash prompt. From there partition and format your drives, then
>> start the mondorestore GUI and when it asks about formatting or
>> partitioning your drives don't let it since you've already done that by
>> hand. It's been a while since I've done a DR restore to bare metal by hand
>> so I'm not sure of the exact screens or language offhand.

>>> I mean: the GUI only give me again the Automatic and Interactive
>>> options to restore...
>>>

> Oh I see you say mindi, not mondo CD/DVD?

Sergio Belkin | 15 Aug 23:42 2012