Anatoly Pugachev | 16 Jul 22:37 2010

Re: update from cvs

On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 10:57:44AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 11:41:33AM +0400, Anatoly Pugachev wrote:
> > How do i update my /usr/src/world from the cvs tree ?
>
> Owl/doc/DOWNLOAD, also available via the web at:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/Owl/DOWNLOAD.shtml
>
> gives some basic information for accessing our FTP mirrors and anoncvs.
>
> As it relates to your specific question - namely, updating an existing
> local copy of the Owl CVS tree - you may do it as follows:
>
> su - build
> CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs:anoncvs <at> anoncvs.owl.openwall.com:/cvs make checkout
>
> or maybe:
>
> su - build
> export CVS_RSH=ssh CVSROOT=anoncvs <at> anoncvs.owl.openwall.com:/cvs
> cd native/Owl
> cvs -z3 up -P
> anoncvs <at> anoncvs.owl.openwall.com's password: <type anoncvs here>
>
> Lots of other variations are possible as well.
>
> Our "native" tree is quite small - just 2 MB gzipped - so if you're on a
> fast link, you may as well re-download native.tar.gz from one of the FTP
> mirrors.  And you do in fact have to access an FTP mirror in order to
> update the "sources" tree as well (which contains mostly the original
(Continue reading)

Solar Designer | 17 Jul 15:09 2010

Re: update from cvs

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 12:37:50AM +0400, Anatoly Pugachev wrote:
> well, docs (at http://openwall.com/Owl/BUILD.shtml) and your
> instructions suggest to use 'build' user, but my freshly owl openvz
> install (from owl-current-20100323-x86_64.tar.gz template) have
> sources:sources as owner for /usr/src (and below), so 'build' username
> can't create any files in it's $HOME directory.

Oops.  You've just reported a bug in the OpenVZ container templates.
Thank you!  The bug is not present in Owl "host systems" installed from
our ISOs (with those, /usr/src/world has user "build" as its owner).

> Do we need to change docs so they will tell to use
> 'sources' username instead of 'build' now?

No, it's not so simple.

We'll likely fix the bug in "make vztemplate", so the next set of
templates will match the ISOs in this respect.

Alexander

Gmane