durga prasad | 13 Apr 15:41 2011
Picon

Cross Compilation Issue of OProfile 0.96 for ARM cortex A9

Hi All,

I am trying to Cross compile the Oprofile-0.96 for ARM Cortex A9 target board.
I am facing issue while cross compiling the oprofile for target.

when I issue command the for configuration like
./configure --host=arm-linux --with-kernel-support

 I am getting the error as mentioned below.

"checking for C compiler default output file name...
See `config.log' for more details."

Here I attached the log file config.log for the reference.

Also I am facing another issue with pre-built binaries of oprofile 0.95

I have pre-built binaries for the ARM board of Oprofile version 0.95

I compiled the kernel and build the oprofile.ko module.
I inserted the module oprofile.ko into the kernel and it is successful

The dmesg output will gives like

# dmesg | grep oprofile
oprofile: using arm/armv7

when I tried to run the command  opcontol --init on the target(ARM Cortex A9)

I am getting the error like

cpu_type 'unset' is not valid
you should upgrade oprofile or force the use of timer mode

I tried to find the cpu_type from the entry
cat /dev/oprofile/cpu_type
I can able read the cpu_type as arm/armv7-ca9

But when I run any commands on the target like opcontrol or ophelp or oprofiled

I am always getting the error like cpu_type 'unset' is not valid

Can anyone help me how to solve the above issues and how to steps to run the Oprofile on the target board.

Thanks in Advance,
Durga Prasad.

durga prasad | 13 Apr 15:48 2011
[...]

I can able to read the cpu_type as arm/armv7-ca9

But when I run any commands on the target like opcontrol or ophelp or oprofiled

I am always getting the error like cpu_type 'unset' is not valid

Can anyone help me how to solve the above issues and how to steps to run the Oprofile on the target board.

Thanks in Advance,
Durga Prasad.

Attachment (config.log): application/octet-stream, 12 KiB
Maynard Johnson | 13 Apr 16:27 2011
Picon

Re: Cross Compilation Issue of OProfile 0.96 for ARM cortex A9

durga prasad wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to Cross compile the Oprofile-0.96 for ARM Cortex A9 target
> board.
> I am facing issue while cross compiling the oprofile for target.
>
> when I issue command the for configuration like
> .*/configure --host=arm-linux* *--with-kernel-support*
>
>  I am getting the error as mentioned below.
>
> *"checking for C compiler default output file name...
> See `config.log' for more details."*

This seems like it's probably a setup issue with cross-compilation.  Sorry, that's not my bailiwick.
Hopefully Richard or someone else familiar with ARM can help.

> Here I attached the log file config.log for the reference.
>
> Also I am facing another issue with pre-built binaries of oprofile 0.95
>
> I have pre-built binaries for the ARM board of Oprofile version 0.95
>
> I compiled the kernel and build the oprofile.ko module.
> I inserted the module oprofile.ko into the kernel and it is successful
>
> The dmesg output will gives like
>
> *# dmesg | grep oprofile
> oprofile: using arm/armv7*
>
> when I tried to run the command  *opcontol --init* on the target(ARM Cortex
> A9)
>
> I am getting the error like
>
> *cpu_type 'unset' is not valid
> you should upgrade oprofile or force the use of timer mode*
The second part of the message is telling you to upgrade oprofile since the version you're running doesn't
support the processor type reported by the kernel (in /dev/oprofile/cpu_type).  We don't have an
official release yet with armv7-ca9 support, so you'd have to do a 'git clone' from our SF repo.  See http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/download/.

-Maynard

> I tried to find the cpu_type from the entry
> *cat /dev/oprofile/cpu_type*
> I can able to read the cpu_type as *arm/armv7-ca9*
>
> But when I run any commands on the target like opcontrol or ophelp or
> oprofiled
>
> I am always getting the error like *cpu_type 'unset' is not valid
>
> *Can anyone help me how to solve the above issues and how to steps to run
> the Oprofile on the target board.
>

> Thanks in Advance,
> Durga Prasad.
> *
> *

Forrester Wave Report - Recovery time is now measured in hours and minutes
not days. Key insights are discussed in the 2010 Forrester Wave Report as
part of an in-depth evaluation of disaster recovery service providers.
Forrester found the best-in-class provider in terms of services and vision.
Read this report now!  http://p.sf.net/sfu/ibm-webcastpromo
William Cohen | 13 Apr 23:20 2011

On 04/13/2011 09:41 AM, durga prasad wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to Cross compile the Oprofile-0.96 for ARM Cortex A9 target board.
> I am facing issue while cross compiling the oprofile for target.

Hi Durga,

cross-compile refers to building something on one machine (or architecture) to run on different  target
architecture. Arm packages for Fedora are being built self-hosted (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM).

For cross-compiling on fedora there is some information at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/CrossToolchain

You will either need to set the your PATH to use the cross compile tools (assuming they are gcc, g++, etc.) or
set the environment variable CC, CPP, CXX, CXXCPP, and LD to point at the proper tools.

You will also need the appropriate headers for things like popt to do the local build

Also take a look at the omapedia page for some tips on how to build oprofile:

http://omapedia.org/wiki/Android_Debugging

> when I issue command the for configuration like
> .*/configure --host=arm-linux* *--with-kernel-support*
>
>  I am getting the error as mentioned below.
>
> *"checking for C compiler default output file name...
> See `config.log' for more details."*
>
> Here I attached the log file config.log for the reference.
>
> Also I am facing another issue with pre-built binaries of oprofile 0.95
>
> I have pre-built binaries for the ARM board of Oprofile version 0.95
>
> I compiled the kernel and build the oprofile.ko module.
> I inserted the module oprofile.ko into the kernel and it is successful
>
> The dmesg output will gives like
>
> # dmesg | grep oprofile
> oprofile: using arm/armv7
>
> when I tried to run the command  *opcontol --init* on the target(ARM Cortex A9)

OProfile 0.9.5 likely doesn't have the support for the particular processor you are using. You should be
able find out what type of processor with:

more /dev/oprofile/cpu_type

> I am getting the error like
>
> *cpu_type 'unset' is not valid
> you should upgrade oprofile or force the use of timer mode*

You need to "opcontrol --deinit; modprobe oprofile timer=1; opcontrol --init" to force oprofile to use
timer mechanism.

> I tried to find the cpu_type from the entry
> *cat /dev/oprofile/cpu_type*
> I can able read the cpu_type as *arm/armv7-ca9*
>
> But when I run any commands on the target like opcontrol or ophelp or oprofiled
>
> I am always getting the error like *cpu_type 'unset' is not valid
>
> *Can anyone help me how to solve the above issues and how to steps to run the Oprofile on the target board.

-Will