Jared K. Smith | 11 Oct 03:02 2011

Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

The voting has concluded for the Fedora 16 release name, and the
results are in!  Thank you to the Fedora community members who made
name suggestions and participated in the voting.

The Fedora 16 release name is: Beefy Miracle

Voting period:  Tuesday 2011-11-04 00:00:00 UTC to Monday 2011-10-10
23:59:59 UTC
Number of valid ballots cast:  292

Using the range voting method, each release name candidate could
attain a maximum of (292*8) = 2336 votes.

Results:

Votes :: Name
-------------------------------
 1182 :: Beefy Miracle
 1035 :: Liege
  881 :: Never
  791 :: Gernsback
  641 :: Rocky Ripple
  628 :: Alpharabius
  550 :: Panguipulli
  505 :: Tubeteika

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader

Jared K. Smith | 11 Oct 03:05 2011

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Jared K. Smith
<jsmith <at> fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> The voting has concluded for the Fedora 16 release name, and the
> results are in!  Thank you to the Fedora community members who made
> name suggestions and participated in the voting.
>
> The Fedora 16 release name is: Beefy Miracle

Sorry for the confusion... that's the Fedora 17 name.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader

Ed Greshko | 11 Oct 03:16 2011

On 10/11/2011 09:05 AM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Jared K. Smith
> <jsmith <at> fedoraproject.org>  wrote:
>> The voting has concluded for the Fedora 16 release name, and the
>> results are in!  Thank you to the Fedora community members who made
>> name suggestions and participated in the voting.
>>
>> The Fedora 16 release name is: Beefy Miracle
> Sorry for the confusion... that's the Fedora 17 name.

OK....  But let's hope F17 isn't high in cholesterol.  :-)

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Thomas Dineen | 11 Oct 03:40 2011
Picon

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

"Beefy Miracle"

     Sounds like a new brand of dog food.

Thomas Dineen

On 10/10/2011 6:16 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 09:05 AM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Jared K. Smith
>> <jsmith <at> fedoraproject.org>   wrote:
>>> The voting has concluded for the Fedora 16 release name, and the
>>> results are in!  Thank you to the Fedora community members who made
>>> name suggestions and participated in the voting.
>>>
>>> The Fedora 16 release name is: Beefy Miracle
>> Sorry for the confusion... that's the Fedora 17 name.
>>
> OK....  But let's hope F17 isn't high in cholesterol.  :-)

Alan Cox | 11 Oct 12:09 2011
Face
Picon

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 18:40:42 -0700
Thomas Dineen <tdineen <at> ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> "Beefy Miracle"
>
>      Sounds like a new brand of dog food.

I imagine all the p0rn sites are busy trying to googlebomb the phrase
ready 8)

Dick Roark | 12 Oct 13:36 2011
Picon

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

On 10/10/2011 6:16 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 09:05 AM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Jared K. Smith
>> <jsmith <at> fedoraproject.org>   wrote:
>>> The voting has concluded for the Fedora 16 release name, and the
>>> results are in!  Thank you to the Fedora community members who made
>>> name suggestions and participated in the voting.
>>>
>>> The Fedora 16 release name is: Beefy Miracle
>> Sorry for the confusion... that's the Fedora 17 name.
>>
> OK....  But let's hope F17 isn't high in cholesterol.  :-)

Chris Kloiber | 11 Oct 03:40 2011

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

Wow...

That just sounds wrong on *SO* many levels.

On 10/10/2011 09:05 PM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Jared K. Smith
> <jsmith <at> fedoraproject.org>  wrote:
>> The voting has concluded for the Fedora 16 release name, and the
>> results are in!  Thank you to the Fedora community members who made
>> name suggestions and participated in the voting.
>>
>> The Fedora 16 release name is: Beefy Miracle
> Sorry for the confusion... that's the Fedora 17 name.
>
> --
> Jared Smith
> Fedora Project Leader

Ranjan Maitra | 11 Oct 03:58 2011

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

I agree....

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 20:40:01 -0500 Chris Kloiber
<ckloiber <at> ckloiber.com> wrote:

> Wow...
>
> That just sounds wrong on *SO* many levels.
>

> On 10/10/2011 09:05 PM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Jared K. Smith
> > <jsmith <at> fedoraproject.org>  wrote:
> >> The voting has concluded for the Fedora 16 release name, and the
> >> results are in!  Thank you to the Fedora community members who made
> >> name suggestions and participated in the voting.
> >>
> >> The Fedora 16 release name is: Beefy Miracle
> > Sorry for the confusion... that's the Fedora 17 name.
> >
> > --
> > Jared Smith
> > Fedora Project Leader

Paul Allen Newell | 11 Oct 04:41 2011
Picon

On 10/10/2011 06:58 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> I agree....
>
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 20:40:01 -0500 Chris Kloiber
> <ckloiber <at> ckloiber.com>  wrote:
>
>> Wow...
>>
>> That just sounds wrong on *SO* many levels.

Actually, I have to believe this is a joke email  .... if it is true,
then all I can wonder is if Fedora naming is under the control of 13
year olds just learning about wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

It is so wrong ... its actually a bit replusive

Chris Kloiber | 11 Oct 04:43 2011

On 10/10/2011 10:41 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 06:58 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>> I agree....
>>
>> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 20:40:01 -0500 Chris Kloiber
>> <ckloiber <at> ckloiber.com>   wrote:
>>
>>> Wow...
>>>
>>> That just sounds wrong on *SO* many levels.

> Actually, I have to believe this is a joke email  .... if it is true,
> then all I can wonder is if Fedora naming is under the control of 13
> year olds just learning about wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
>
> It is so wrong ... its actually a bit replusive
Queue up the "Pr0n Groove" soundtrack...

Michael Cronenworth | 11 Oct 04:57 2011

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

> Actually, I have to believe this is a joke email   .... if it is true,
> then all I can wonder is if Fedora naming is under the control of 13
> year olds just learning about wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
>
> It is so wrong ... its actually a bit replusive

I voted a 0 on this name. Did anyone else complaining even vote? There was low voter turnout.

Rohan Ferris | 11 Oct 05:44 2011

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

I gave 0 for Beefy Miracle also. Is this a joke?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike <at> cchtml.com> wrote:
> Actually, I have to believe this is a joke email   .... if it is true,
> then all I can wonder is if Fedora naming is under the control of 13
> year olds just learning about wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
>
> It is so wrong ... its actually a bit replusive

I voted a 0 on this name. Did anyone else complaining even vote? There was low voter turnout.

Bruno Wolff III | 11 Oct 06:12 2011
Picon

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 13:44:53 +1000,
  Rohan Ferris <rohan <at> rferris.org> wrote:
> I gave 0 for Beefy Miracle also. Is this a joke?

Sort of. "Beefy Miracle" has been an inside joke going back at least
several releases now. A number of people who like it decided to try
to get a release named after it. They just succeeded. I would have preferred
that they actually tried to get a legitimate connection from a previous
name to "Beefy Miracle", but they took a cheap short cut there that I
think takes away from the naming process.

In the end it isn't really a big deal and might end up getting extra
publicity for Fedora.

Paul Allen Newell | 11 Oct 07:39 2011
Picon

On 10/10/2011 09:12 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 13:44:53 +1000,
>    Rohan Ferris<rohan <at> rferris.org>  wrote:
>> I gave 0 for Beefy Miracle also. Is this a joke?
> Sort of. "Beefy Miracle" has been an inside joke going back at least
> several releases now. A number of people who like it decided to try
> to get a release named after it. They just succeeded. I would have preferred
> that they actually tried to get a legitimate connection from a previous
> name to "Beefy Miracle", but they took a cheap short cut there that I
> think takes away from the naming process.
>
> In the end it isn't really a big deal and might end up getting extra
> publicity for Fedora.
So, "a number of people" want to develop our next beefy miracle?

Will you folks f-ing grow up !?!

Unless you are happy with everyone telling the "these number of people"
where to put their beefy miracle --- fill in the cliche yourself (does
it still sound "cute" in this context and an inside joke you wish to
exhibit to the world?)

Ed Greshko | 11 Oct 08:07 2011

On 10/11/2011 01:39 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Unless you are happy with everyone telling the "these number of people"
> where to put their beefy miracle --- fill in the cliche yourself (does
> it still sound "cute" in this context and an inside joke you wish to
> exhibit to the world?)

Not to mention, that if this is indeed an "inside joke" it just goes
further to advance the opinion of some that Fedora is "run" by a small
group of "insiders" and everyone else (the user base) are "outsiders".

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Michael Schwendt | 11 Oct 12:58 2011
Picon

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:07:45 +0800, EG (Ed) wrote:

> On 10/11/2011 01:39 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> > Unless you are happy with everyone telling the "these number of people"
> > where to put their beefy miracle --- fill in the cliche yourself (does
> > it still sound "cute" in this context and an inside joke you wish to
> > exhibit to the world?)
>
> Not to mention, that if this is indeed an "inside joke" it just goes
> further to advance the opinion of some that Fedora is "run" by a small
> group of "insiders" and everyone else (the user base) are "outsiders".

If it bugs you that much, consider taking part in the voting next time. ;)
That might also make it more difficult for small groups to push their
names.

It isn't about "insiders vs. outsiders" anymore (as with old Red Hat Linux
dist names), but just that release name proposals, discussing them and
voting for them isn't of much interest to many people. It may be considered
fun by some, but all that matters afterall is the quality of the distribution
not its name.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/voting

One could vote only from 2011-10-04 to 2011-10-10, which isn't a lot of
time. Only a fraction of the possible voters have taken part. One must
know that "range voting" has been used, so the results are not a 1-to-1
mapping of votes to voters.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/voting/results/relnamef17

I've voted for a different name. Only to support the effort and
the fact that one can influence the release name a little bit. Some
of the background for the final name proposals has been outright
boring: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_17

However, there has been some group effort behind the Beefy Miracle name
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Hot_Dog
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meat_SIG
and I presume they have managed to attract a couple of voters for
reasons unknown.

Ed Greshko | 11 Oct 13:25 2011

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

> If it bugs you that much, consider taking part in the voting next time.;)
> That might also make it more difficult for small groups to push their
> names.

It really doesn't bug me very much at all.  I have no idea what the
names of F10, F11, F12, etc. are...and I get the feeling most people
don't know and don't really care.

One would just hope that the name somehow embodies the spirit of Fedora
and the Linux movement.  I don't see where this name does.  Guess I'm
not "hip" or part of the "in" crowd.

   I've been using Red Hat products since the Red Hat 7 days...before
their was a Fedora or Fedora Core.  I don't recall any "Beefy Miracle".

I frankly (no pun intended) don't think "Beefy Miracle" is a name to be
proud of.

But, like you said, voting on a name isn't of interest to many people.
Seems like more of a popularity contest like DWTS.  The best name/dancer
doesn't always win only because one side puts on a better campaign and
manages to get their friends to vote.

As I said, Frankly (pun intended) the name isn't a wiener with me.

I really should have left it at the "cholesterol" joke except that I had
a thought of what others may think.

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Christoph Wickert | 11 Oct 14:09 2011

Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2011, 19:25 +0800 schrieb Ed Greshko:
> I frankly (no pun intended) don't think "Beefy Miracle" is a name to be
> proud of.

I do. Even though I am vegetarian.

Regards,
Christoph

Ranjan Maitra | 11 Oct 15:17 2011

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 07:09:29 -0500 Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert <at> googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2011, 19:25 +0800 schrieb Ed Greshko:
> > I frankly (no pun intended) don't think "Beefy Miracle" is a name to be
> > proud of.
>
> I do. Even though I am vegetarian.

My problem with the name is that it conveys two different things, none
of which I want in my linux distribution.

The term "Beefy" does not chime with a lean and efficient distribution.

The term "Miracle" is something that is even worse. It is some
phenomenon that can not be explained (except by divinity). Do we really
want that in a linux distribution?

There may well be other interpretations that come to mind, but these
are what came to me right away.

I did not know the proceedings for voting or even that it was on, so it
is correct, I did not vote. Of course, that gives me no voice (which is
appropriate). However, it does not preclude me from having an opinion.

Ranjan

T.C. Hollingsworth | 11 Oct 15:31 2011
Picon

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:17 AM, Ranjan Maitra <maitra <at> iastate.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 07:09:29 -0500 Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2011, 19:25 +0800 schrieb Ed Greshko:
>> > I frankly (no pun intended) don't think "Beefy Miracle" is a name to be
>> > proud of.
>>
>> I do. Even though I am vegetarian.
>>

> My problem with the name is that it conveys two different things, none
> of which I want in my linux distribution.
>
> The term "Beefy" does not chime with a lean and efficient distribution.

Wiktionary lists two non-meat related definitions for the word "beefy".

> 3. (informal) Strong or muscular.
> 4. (informal) Sturdy; robust.

Both seem to be rather desirable qualities in a Linux distribution.  :-)

> The term "Miracle" is something that is even worse. It is some
> phenomenon that can not be explained (except by divinity). Do we really
> want that in a linux distribution?
>
> There may well be other interpretations that come to mind, but these
> are what came to me right away.
>
> I did not know the proceedings for voting or even that it was on, so it
> is correct, I did not vote. Of course, that gives me no voice (which is
> appropriate). However, it does not preclude me from having an opinion.
>
> Ranjan

-T.C.

Andrew Haley | 11 Oct 15:47 2011
Picon

On 10/11/2011 02:17 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 07:09:29 -0500 Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2011, 19:25 +0800 schrieb Ed Greshko:
>>> I frankly (no pun intended) don't think "Beefy Miracle" is a name to be
>>> proud of.
>>
>> I do. Even though I am vegetarian.
>
> My problem with the name is that it conveys two different things, none
> of which I want in my linux distribution.
>
> The term "Beefy" does not chime with a lean and efficient distribution.

Lean?  Fedora?  Shome mishtake shurely.

> The term "Miracle" is something that is even worse. It is some
> phenomenon that can not be explained (except by divinity). Do we really
> want that in a linux distribution?

I think that "miracle" is more often used as a metaphor.  As a
description of free (as in gratis) software that's better than
software you have to pay for, "miracle" isn't entirely inappropriate.

Andrew.

Fernando Cassia | 14 Oct 01:20 2011
Picon

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:47, Andrew Haley <aph <at> redhat.com> wrote:
> I think that "miracle" is more often used as a metaphor.  As a
> description of free (as in gratis) software that's better than
> software you have to pay for, "miracle" isn't entirely inappropriate.

Here´s what I first thought:

Beefy Miracle: it takes a lot of space, and runs by pure chance (with
divine intervention) - ie it takes a miracle for it to run.

FC

--
"Nunca te pelees con alguien que ya no tiene nada que perder" -anónimo

Rahul Sundaram | 11 Oct 21:38 2011
Picon

On 10/11/2011 06:47 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> I did not know the proceedings for voting or even that it was on, so it
> is correct, I did not vote. Of course, that gives me no voice (which is
> appropriate). However, it does not preclude me from having an opinion.

Sure but the fact is that,  suggestions have been taken in openly,
announced widely (via fedora announce list),  voted upon etc gives you
the ability to have more than just a opinion here (which doesn't count
for anything).  Maybe for the next release onwards, people with strong
opinions on codenames should participate.

Rahul

Rahul Sundaram | 12 Oct 10:02 2011
Picon

On 10/11/2011 11:37 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 01:39 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> Unless you are happy with everyone telling the "these number of people"
>> where to put their beefy miracle --- fill in the cliche yourself (does
>> it still sound "cute" in this context and an inside joke you wish to
>> exhibit to the world?)
>
> Not to mention, that if this is indeed an "inside joke" it just goes
> further to advance the opinion of some that Fedora is "run" by a small
> group of "insiders" and everyone else (the user base) are "outsiders".

These people are "insiders" only to the extend that they have been
involved for a long time and care enough to know to these sort of
trivia. Other than that the information is transparently available in
many public places.   This is a open source project after all.

http://darkmattermatters.com/2011/10/11/the-origins-of-the-beefy-miracle/

In addition to that, I don't prefer to talk about a "user base" since
there is no bright line diving contributors and users.  Anyone who
bothers enough to say report a bug should be considered a contributor.

Rahul

Thomas Dineen | 12 Oct 20:25 2011
Picon

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

Gentle People:

"Last night I received a message via Twitter from a hot dog."

See the difficulty we are in!!! This is what happens when you
take political advice from a Hot Dog!

Hey, I know that most will consider this to be a dumb idea, but,,,
what about just naming it "Fedora Release 17", No, No No,
that will never work as it is way to adult!

Thomas Dineen

On 10/12/2011 1:02 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
[...]

Chris Kloiber | 11 Oct 06:32 2011

On 10/10/2011 10:57 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> [...]

I'm not a developer, therefore no vote.

But I sure can have an opinion.

Queue the Pr0n-groove music (somewhat safe for work):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLb9jPuDS9Y

Christoph Wickert | 11 Oct 10:24 2011

Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2011, 00:32 -0400 schrieb Chris Kloiber:
> On 10/10/2011 10:57 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:

You don't need to be a developer, you just need to have a FAS Account.

Regards,
Christoph

Tim | 11 Oct 15:35 2011
Picon

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 21:57 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> I voted a 0 on this name. Did anyone else complaining even vote? There
> was low voter turnout.

So, if someone proposes an inappropriate name, and if enough people vote
for it, it'll get through.  There's no vetting of appropriate proposals,
in the first place?

Granted that this one's borderline, rather than extremely gross.  But it
makes you wonder what else might get through.

--
[tim <at> localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

I keep telling my friends that I like a good double entendre, but they
never give me one.

Tom Horsley | 11 Oct 15:50 2011
Picon

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

So where do we go to propose names?

I'd like to be able to vote for the ultra secret squirrel
code name for fedora 18 to be: "fedora 18".

Now *there's* a code name for you!

Dokuro | 11 Oct 16:17 2011
Picon

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

I could not vote because the sing in site always gave me bad captcha
as result...

--
OS: http://fedoraproject.org/es/ - http://www.linuxmint.com/
Graficos: http://www.blender.org - http://www.gimp.org

Rahul Sundaram | 11 Oct 21:35 2011
Picon

On 10/11/2011 07:47 PM, Dokuro wrote:
> I could not vote because the sing in site always gave me bad captcha
> as result...

Report such issues.  Admin  AT fedoraproject.org

Rahul

Rex Dieter | 11 Oct 16:22 2011

Tom Horsley wrote:

> So where do we go to propose names?

It was done on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_17

I suppose when the nomination period opens for f18, there will be
corresponding,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_18

-- rex

Rahul Sundaram | 11 Oct 21:34 2011
Picon

On 10/11/2011 07:05 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 21:57 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> I voted a 0 on this name. Did anyone else complaining even vote? There
>> was low voter turnout.
>
> So, if someone proposes an inappropriate name, and if enough people vote
> for it, it'll get through.  There's no vetting of appropriate proposals,
> in the first place?
>
> Granted that this one's borderline, rather than extremely gross.  But it
> makes you wonder what else might get through.

Other than a legal check for conflicts with trademarks etc,  that is
correct.  Any name can get through if someone proposes and enough people
vote for it.  Anyone with a Fedora account can vote and getting a
account takes only a few minutes.   You can't always get the name of
your choice but if you like a particular name or don't, you have the
ability to influence the result.  Use it.

Rahul

inode0 | 11 Oct 21:39 2011
Picon

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Other than a legal check for conflicts with trademarks etc,  that is
> correct.  Any name can get through if someone proposes and enough people
> vote for it.  Anyone with a Fedora account can vote and getting a
> account takes only a few minutes.   You can't always get the name of
> your choice but if you like a particular name or don't, you have the
> ability to influence the result.  Use it.

Well, the Board does screen the names and only passes on to legal the
short list it chooses from those nominated by the community. This
makes good sense to not overburden legal and to discard things that
don't meet the requirements ... except in those cases where the Board
chooses to overlook the requirements. There is a filter before the
names get to legal though.

John

Paul Allen Newell | 11 Oct 23:35 2011
Picon

On 10/11/2011 12:34 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Other than a legal check for conflicts with trademarks etc,  that is
> correct.  Any name can get through if someone proposes and enough people
> vote for it.  Anyone with a Fedora account can vote and getting a
> account takes only a few minutes.   You can't always get the name of
> your choice but if you like a particular name or don't, you have the
> ability to influence the result.  Use it.
>
> Rahul

John and your emails certainly make it clear that this was handled
within the bounds of democracy within Fedora and with Board/legal
getting a look.

At this point, all I want to say is if the folks putting out F17 want
that codename and they are prepared to make F17 good enough to justify
their choice, all power to them and I look forward to seeing how it
plays out.

Cheers

Erik P. Olsen | 11 Oct 08:40 2011
Picon

On 11/10/11 03:02, Jared K. Smith wrote:

> The Fedora 16 release name is: Beefy Miracle

Childish.

--
Erik

Christoph Wickert | 11 Oct 10:23 2011

Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2011, 08:40 +0200 schrieb Erik P. Olsen:
> On 11/10/11 03:02, Jared K. Smith wrote:
>
> > The Fedora 16 release name is: Beefy Miracle
>
> Childish.

Why?

Beefy Miracle has a long history in Fedora, in fact it dates back to the
days of Red Hat Linux and as a tribute to one of the greatest Red Hat
releases ever it's just fair to have Fedora named "Beefy Miracle" 10
years later.

Just my 2 cents,
Christoph

Michael Schwendt | 11 Oct 13:25 2011
Picon

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:23:15 +0200, CW (Christoph) wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2011, 08:40 +0200 schrieb Erik P. Olsen:
> > On 11/10/11 03:02, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> >
> > > The Fedora 16 release name is: Beefy Miracle
> >
> > Childish.
>
> Why?

Well, try to explain it to the users without talking in riddles.
A mistake would be to link to pages, such as:
http://beefymiracle.org/history.html

Christoph Wickert | 11 Oct 14:07 2011

Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2011, 13:25 +0200 schrieb Michael Schwendt:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:23:15 +0200, CW (Christoph) wrote:

> > > Childish.
> >
> > Why?
>
> Well, try to explain it to the users without talking in riddles.

Have we ever explained names like Tettnang or Zod?

Regards,
Christoph

Michael Schwendt | 11 Oct 14:21 2011
Picon

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:07:50 +0200, CW (Christoph) wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2011, 13:25 +0200 schrieb Michael Schwendt:

> > > Why?
> >
> > Well, try to explain it to the users without talking in riddles.
>
> Have we ever explained names like Tettnang or Zod?

Of course, except that early Fedora release names have been decided on
without voting.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/History_of_Fedora_release_names
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora-_und_Red-Hat-Versionsnamen

The Fedora Release name process has become much more open compared with
Red Hat Linux ( http://www.smoogespace.com/documents/behind_the_names.html ).

Even during the RHL era. Red Hat Linux users that tried to figure out
the connection between consecutive release names. With Red Hat Linux
employees laughing their ass off about what connections the community
came up with in sometimes longer discussions.

Christoph Wickert | 13 Oct 16:48 2011

Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2011, 14:21 +0200 schrieb Michael Schwendt:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:07:50 +0200, CW (Christoph) wrote:

> > > Well, try to explain it to the users without talking in riddles.
> >
> > Have we ever explained names like Tettnang or Zod?
>
> Of course, except that early Fedora release names have been decided on
> without voting.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/History_of_Fedora_release_names
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora-_und_Red-Hat-Versionsnamen

None of these links explains the actual choices, they just explain how
the games works and what the connections are.

Explaining the *name* doesn't mean to explain that Heidelberg is a City
in the German state of Baden-Württemberg but why Heidelberg was chosen
in favor of any other city in Baden-Württemberg.

> The Fedora Release name process has become much more open compared with
> Red Hat Linux ( http://www.smoogespace.com/documents/behind_the_names.html ).
>
> Even during the RHL era. Red Hat Linux users that tried to figure out
> the connection between consecutive release names.

You see: You are again explaining the rules rather than the choices.
While I have to admit that the connection is a little week this time,
the name itself is easy to explain. It is more related to Fedora than
any other name before.

Regards,
Christoph

Michael Schwendt | 13 Oct 23:07 2011
Picon

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:48:40 +0200, CW (Christoph) wrote:

> > > Have we ever explained names like Tettnang or Zod?
> >
> > Of course, except that early Fedora release names have been decided on
> > without voting.
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/History_of_Fedora_release_names
> > http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora-_und_Red-Hat-Versionsnamen
>
> None of these links explains the actual choices, they just explain how
> the games works and what the connections are.
>
> Explaining the *name* doesn't mean to explain that Heidelberg is a City
> in the German state of Baden-Württemberg but why Heidelberg was chosen
> in favor of any other city in Baden-Württemberg.

You could have rephrased your question (above) where you wrote
"Have we ever explained names like Tettnang or Zod?".

I don't care whether any other city in DE-BW or DE would have met the
requirements in the same way. It doesn't interest me _why_ Tettnang had
been proposed or _why_ Krosno and Uzhgorod had been the other choices
besides Heidelberg. If it's a fun game for some people to enter the
"competition" with a personal favourite release name that meets the
requirements, I tolerate that.

When the release name process opened up, voters could learn about _what_ a
name is, what it refers to, and the connections (if disclosed in the Wiki).
Later users of a Fedora release would also start with figuring out what a
name refers to and then possibly ask why it had been chosen. They would
look up "Heidelberg" and draw their own conclusions. What would you tell
them if they asked why the dist was named after a city? Would you point
them at the guidelines or mention that the _real why_ is a secret?

> > The Fedora Release name process has become much more open compared with
> > Red Hat Linux ( http://www.smoogespace.com/documents/behind_the_names.html ).
> >
> > Even during the RHL era. Red Hat Linux users that tried to figure out
> > the connection between consecutive release names.
>
> You see: You are again explaining the rules rather than the choices.

The rules are public and official. A person's self-motivation isn't --
when entering the release name voting process with a personal favourite
name, which may meet the requirements but have some secret rationale.

> While I have to admit that the connection is a little week this time,
> the name itself is easy to explain. It is more related to Fedora than
> any other name before.

And still you cannot avoid that users will find the story "childish" or
"silly". If they did, I would tolerate that.

Anyway, I don't think I want to hear the full story. Fragments of it
didn't sound too exciting. I do remember the pictures Anaconda displayed
during installation, such as the various hot-dog e.g. dancing "Limbo",
but why to continue there many years later, uhm... ;-)

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc9.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.06 0.04 0.07

Roger | 14 Oct 00:35 2011

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

<snip>
The Fedora 16 release name is: Beefy Miracle
</snip>

Curious.
To me Fedora is neither beefy  nor a miracle.
Fedora renditions - here today gone tomorrow, life span of a moth
dancing round a flame, a year passes and we update or suffer. At least
that, to me, is the perceived threat.

What is beefy about that? Beefy to me means tasty, of substance,
fulfilling, delicious. Not, as the image implies,  full of fat, gristle
and bone flavoured with condiment and stuffed in an over aerated bread roll.

None of these are Fedora why? because Fedora is "Bleeding Edge" full of
bugs and problems for the unwary and just when one has it working a
treat, it's gone, like a will-o-wisp.

Miracle, I'd say not. Just a much better operating system which takes
into account the lightening fast changes in technology. Fedora is out
there on the edge, leading the way, it is the light at the end of the
tunnel, the shining beacon to a better way.

  Personally I would have preferred names that signify leadership,
quality, rapid development and resolution.

Having said that though, a beefy miracle in a roll is out of the
digestive system in 24 hours as waste matter, flushed away without a
thought. Is this an image for Fedora?
FWIW
Roger

Alan Cox | 14 Oct 00:40 2011
Face
Picon

Re: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

> What is beefy about that? Beefy to me means tasty, of substance,
> fulfilling, delicious. Not, as the image implies,  full of fat, gristle
> and bone flavoured with condiment and stuffed in an over aerated bread roll.

I guess Hindu's will see it differently

Craig White | 14 Oct 03:45 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 23:40 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > What is beefy about that? Beefy to me means tasty, of substance,
> > fulfilling, delicious. Not, as the image implies,  full of fat, gristle
> > and bone flavoured with condiment and stuffed in an over aerated bread roll.
>

> I guess Hindu's will see it differently
----
and Clara Peller will rise up from her grave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aISkVvi5iI8

;-)

Craig

believed to be clean.

Frank Murphy | 11 Oct 13:26 2011
Picon

On 11/10/11 09:23, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> Beefy Miracle has a long history in Fedora, in fact it dates back to the
> days of Red Hat Linux and as a tribute to one of the greatest Red Hat
> releases ever it's just fair to have Fedora named "Beefy Miracle" 10
> years later.
>
> Just my 2 cents,
> Christoph

Is  not "Dead Beef" kernel coding?

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Erik P. Olsen | 12 Oct 14:43 2011
Picon

On 11/10/11 10:23, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 11.10.2011, 08:40 +0200 schrieb Erik P. Olsen:
>> On 11/10/11 03:02, Jared K. Smith wrote:
>>
>>> The Fedora 16 release name is: Beefy Miracle
>>
>> Childish.
>
> Why?
>
> Beefy Miracle has a long history in Fedora, in fact it dates back to the
> days of Red Hat Linux and as a tribute to one of the greatest Red Hat
> releases ever it's just fair to have Fedora named "Beefy Miracle" 10
> years later.

What purpose do these codenames serve?

--
Erik

Miner, Jonathan W (US SSA | 12 Oct 14:45 2011

RE: Results of the voting for the Fedora 17 release name

> What purpose do these codenames serve?

First, the code name gets recorded in /etc/redhat-release..

Second, and more importantly, if gives us all something to discuss on the mailing list! :)