Matthias Clasen | 2 Nov 02:12 2010
Picon

coming libnotify bump

I am planning to push libnotify 0.7.0 into rawhide by the end of this
week; this is going to be a little painful, since there are some api
changes that will require minor adjustment of all users. And there's
quite a few of them (see below). I will hopefully be able to handle most
of the GNOME dependencies, for the rest I need to ask for some help.

Scratch builds of libnotify 0.7.0 rpms can be found here:
http://mclasen.fedorapeople.org/libnotify/

Here is an overview of the api changes:

notify_notification_new_with_status_icon   is gone
notify_notification_attach_to_status_icon  is gone
notify_notification_attach_to_widget       is gone
notify_notification_set_geometry_hints     is gone
notify_notification_new                    has lost its widget argument

A typical patch will look like this one:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/review?bug=632327&attachment=172525

For some background on these changes, see
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Guidelines/MessageTray/Compatibility

Possibly affected packages:

NetworkManager-gnome-1:0.8.1-9.git20100831.fc15.x86_64
abrt-gui-0:1.1.13-2.fc15.x86_64
audacious-plugins-0:2.4.0-6.fc15.x86_64
awn-extras-applets-0:0.4.0-25.fc15.x86_64
balsa-0:2.4.7-2.fc14.x86_64
(Continue reading)

Tom "spot" Callaway | 2 Nov 16:33 2010
Picon

Re: coming libnotify bump

On 11/01/2010 09:12 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> I am planning to push libnotify 0.7.0 into rawhide by the end of this
> week; this is going to be a little painful, since there are some api
> changes that will require minor adjustment of all users. And there's
> quite a few of them (see below). I will hopefully be able to handle most
> of the GNOME dependencies, for the rest I need to ask for some help.
>
> Scratch builds of libnotify 0.7.0 rpms can be found here:
> http://mclasen.fedorapeople.org/libnotify/
>
> Here is an overview of the api changes:
>
> notify_notification_new_with_status_icon   is gone
> notify_notification_attach_to_status_icon  is gone
> notify_notification_attach_to_widget       is gone
> notify_notification_set_geometry_hints     is gone
> notify_notification_new                    has lost its widget argument

Matthias, this seems like it will break the python bindings... will you
be fixing them at the same time?

Things that repoquery thinks depend on notify-python:

ailurus-0:10.10.3-1.fc14.noarch
audio-convert-mod-0:3.46.0b-3.fc14.noarch
batti-0:0.3.7-3.fc14.noarch
blueman-0:1.21-6.fc14.x86_64
coda-gcodacon-0:6.9.5-3.fc14.x86_64
decibel-audio-player-0:1.05-1.fc14.noarch
deluge-0:1.3.0-1.fc14.noarch
(Continue reading)

Adam Jackson | 2 Nov 17:11 2010
Picon

Re: coming libnotify bump

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 11:33 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On 11/01/2010 09:12 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > I am planning to push libnotify 0.7.0 into rawhide by the end of this
> > week; this is going to be a little painful, since there are some api
> > changes that will require minor adjustment of all users. And there's
> > quite a few of them (see below). I will hopefully be able to handle most
> > of the GNOME dependencies, for the rest I need to ask for some help.
> >
> > Scratch builds of libnotify 0.7.0 rpms can be found here:
> > http://mclasen.fedorapeople.org/libnotify/
> >
> > Here is an overview of the api changes:
> >
> > notify_notification_new_with_status_icon   is gone
> > notify_notification_attach_to_status_icon  is gone
> > notify_notification_attach_to_widget       is gone
> > notify_notification_set_geometry_hints     is gone
> > notify_notification_new                    has lost its widget argument
>
> Matthias, this seems like it will break the python bindings... will you
> be fixing them at the same time?

python-notify exposes only the attach_to_{status_icon,widget} methods
and implicitly exposes the new method through the constructor.  The
constructor allows you to pass a GtkWidget* as an optional named
argument, so we need only look for ctors that say attach=something.

Of the packages mentioned:

coda-gcodacon-0:6.9.5-3.fc14.x86_64
(Continue reading)

Adam Jackson | 2 Nov 18:54 2010
Picon

Re: coming libnotify bump

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 12:11 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:

> As far as I can tell, none of the callers to pynotify.init() pass any
> named arguments, so nothing should notice the lack of attach=.  I only
> searched for explicit calls to pynotify.init, if someone's doing like
>
>     foo = pynotify
>     foo.init("I'm far too clever", attach=my_bar_widget)
>
> then they get what they deserve.

I got the API wrong here, it's actually pynotify.Notification(), but it
still appears that callers never set attach-widget to anything.

- ajax

Matthias Clasen | 2 Nov 17:13 2010
Picon

Re: coming libnotify bump

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 11:33 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> Matthias, this seems like it will break the python bindings... will you
> be fixing them at the same time?

I can certainly not do it all by myself. At least not in one day...
Looking at notify-python, it seems that running update-defs inside src/
seems enough to update the bindings. Of course, users of the old wrapped
api will still need to be updated.

Tom "spot" Callaway | 2 Nov 18:03 2010
Picon

Re: coming libnotify bump

On 11/02/2010 12:13 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 11:33 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>
>> Matthias, this seems like it will break the python bindings... will you
>> be fixing them at the same time?
>
> I can certainly not do it all by myself. At least not in one day...
> Looking at notify-python, it seems that running update-defs inside src/
> seems enough to update the bindings. Of course, users of the old wrapped
> api will still need to be updated.

FWIW, I meant "the python bindings" then I said "them". I'm not trying
to volunteer you to fix all packages. :)

~spot

Matthias Clasen | 3 Nov 12:36 2010
Picon

Re: coming libnotify bump

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 21:12 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> I am planning to push libnotify 0.7.0 into rawhide by the end of this
> week; this is going to be a little painful, since there are some api
> changes that will require minor adjustment of all users. And there's
> quite a few of them (see below). I will hopefully be able to handle most
> of the GNOME dependencies, for the rest I need to ask for some help.

I have built libnotify 0.7.0 in rawhide now. I have filed a number of
patches for affected modules, and I am going through some rebuilds now.
If your module uses libnotify or notify-python, please check if it needs
changes to work with the new libnotify.

Christoph Wickert | 5 Nov 13:31 2010

Re: coming libnotify bump

Am Montag, den 01.11.2010, 21:12 -0400 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> I am planning to push libnotify 0.7.0 into rawhide by the end of this
> week;

Next time you are making an update that affects a large number of
packages, please use devel-announce.

TIA,
Christoph