Terry Polzin | 22 Oct 01:58 2010

realtek rtl8188S

Broke down and bought a cheap mini usb wireless N device.
lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8171 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Oct 21 19:17:19 excaliber kernel: usb 1-1: new high speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 3
Oct 21 19:17:19 excaliber kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device found,
idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8171
Oct 21 19:17:19 excaliber kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device strings:
Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Oct 21 19:17:19 excaliber kernel: usb 1-1: Product: RTL8188S WLAN
Adapter 
Oct 21 19:17:19 excaliber kernel: usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Manufacturer
Realtek 
Oct 21 19:17:19 excaliber kernel: usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001

Naturally, there doesn't seem to be kernel support for it just some
vague linux folder on the mini cd-rom that came with it and barely what
can be considered documentation in english with some source code.

Kernel: 2.6.34.7-56.fc13.i686.PAE

Anyone have some experience with this device.
It's been a long time since 2.4 kernel when I did this a lot.
I'm going to need almost step by step instructions if someone has the
time.

(Continue reading)

Chris Smart | 22 Oct 02:37 2010

Re: realtek rtl8188S

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Terry Polzin <foxec208 <at> wowway.com> wrote:
> Broke down and bought a cheap mini usb wireless N device.

Hi Terry,

I have a similar device:
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0bda:8172 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8191S
WLAN Adapter

Which is a ginormous pain. AFAIK, there is a driver in kernel staging
(r8192s_usb), but it's not shipped with standard Fedora kernel. I
downloaded the driver from Realtek and compiled it, but loading the
module segfaulted (and hard-locked) my F13 machine - even magic keys
couldn't save it!

This device "works" on Ubuntu 10.10 out of the box, because they ship
the unstable driver. It also loads the eeprom_93cx6 module, presumably
for loading firmware or something.

I guess if you can build the staging drivers out of kernel, then you
might have some luck.

-c
--

-- 
users mailing list
users <at> lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

(Continue reading)

JD | 22 Oct 02:42 2010
Picon

Re: realtek rtl8188S

  On 10/21/2010 05:37 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Terry Polzin<foxec208 <at> wowway.com>  wrote:
>> Broke down and bought a cheap mini usb wireless N device.
> Hi Terry,
>
> I have a similar device:
> Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0bda:8172 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8191S
> WLAN Adapter
>
> Which is a ginormous pain. AFAIK, there is a driver in kernel staging
> (r8192s_usb), but it's not shipped with standard Fedora kernel. I
> downloaded the driver from Realtek and compiled it, but loading the
> module segfaulted (and hard-locked) my F13 machine - even magic keys
> couldn't save it!
>
> This device "works" on Ubuntu 10.10 out of the box, because they ship
> the unstable driver. It also loads the eeprom_93cx6 module, presumably
> for loading firmware or something.
>
> I guess if you can build the staging drivers out of kernel, then you
> might have some luck.
>
> -c
Hi Chris,
I just posted the how-to.

Good luck to you too.

Cheers,

(Continue reading)

Chris Smart | 22 Oct 02:49 2010

Re: realtek rtl8188S

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:42 AM, JD <jd1008 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> I just posted the how-to.
>
> Good luck to you too.
>

Thanks JD.

Using the staging drivers supplied with RPMFusion works for me, except
that it can't load the firmware (RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin)

I still get a wireless device, though.

-c
--

-- 
users mailing list
users <at> lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Chris Smart | 22 Oct 02:53 2010

Re: realtek rtl8188S

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Chris Smart <mail <at> christophersmart.com> wrote:
>
> Using the staging drivers supplied with RPMFusion works for me, except
> that it can't load the firmware (RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin)
>

And finally, if I grab the firmware from the CD that the device came
with, and put it under /lib/firmware/ then the module loads along with
the firmware.

dmesg:

usb 1-2.3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 10
usb 1-2.3: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8172
usb 1-2.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-2.3: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
==>ep_num:4, in_ep_num:1, out_ep_num:3
==>RtInPipes:3
==>RtOutPipes:4  6  13
==>txqueue_to_outpipemap for BK, BE, VI, VO, HCCA, TXCMD, MGNT, HIGH, BEACON:
1  1  0  0  2  2  2  2  2
Dot11d_Init()
rtl819xU: --->FirmwareDownload92S()

usb 1-2.3: firmware: requesting RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin
rtl819xU:signature:8192, version:902b, size:30, imemsize:7408, sram size:9688

rtl819xU:--->FirmwareDownloadCode()

rtl819xU:--->FirmwareCheckReady(): LoadStaus(1),
(Continue reading)

JD | 22 Oct 03:00 2010
Picon

Re: realtek rtl8188S

  On 10/21/2010 05:53 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Chris Smart<mail <at> christophersmart.com>  wrote:
>> Using the staging drivers supplied with RPMFusion works for me, except
>> that it can't load the firmware (RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin)
>>
>
> And finally, if I grab the firmware from the CD that the device came
> with, and put it under /lib/firmware/ then the module loads along with
> the firmware.
OK, So when you run wpa_supplicant, does it associate with you AP?

--

-- 
users mailing list
users <at> lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Chris Smart | 22 Oct 03:14 2010

Re: realtek rtl8188S

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM, JD <jd1008 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, So when you run wpa_supplicant, does it associate with you AP?

I don't have an AP here that I can associate with to test the
connection, but with the firmware loaded iwlist does indeed print out
available access points. Without the firmware however, the device
doesn't support scanning at all.

2.6.36 has lots of work on Realtek audio, but nothing much on
wireless, it appears.

-c
--

-- 
users mailing list
users <at> lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

JD | 22 Oct 03:21 2010
Picon

Re: realtek rtl8188S

  On 10/21/2010 06:14 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM, JD<jd1008 <at> gmail.com>  wrote:
>> OK, So when you run wpa_supplicant, does it associate with you AP?
> I don't have an AP here that I can associate with to test the
> connection, but with the firmware loaded iwlist does indeed print out
> available access points. Without the firmware however, the device
> doesn't support scanning at all.
>
> 2.6.36 has lots of work on Realtek audio, but nothing much on
> wireless, it appears.
>
> -c
Well, if it is a laptop, see if you can
take it to a nearby starbucks where the wifi is free,
and try to associate. The real test is to see how well
it can handle continuous traffic, like a download
and an upload.

--

-- 
users mailing list
users <at> lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Chris Smart | 22 Oct 03:29 2010

Re: realtek rtl8188S

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:21 PM, JD <jd1008 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, if it is a laptop, see if you can
> take it to a nearby starbucks where the wifi is free,
> and try to associate. The real test is to see how well
> it can handle continuous traffic, like a download
> and an upload.
>

It's a USB dongle unfortunately, but either way we don't have any
Starbucks in Canberra anymore - they all closed down :-)

I'll take it home tonight and test it at home, although Terry might be
able to confirm before I get a chance..

-c
--

-- 
users mailing list
users <at> lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

JD | 22 Oct 02:58 2010
Picon

Re: realtek rtl8188S

  On 10/21/2010 05:49 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:42 AM, JD<jd1008 <at> gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I just posted the how-to.
>>
>> Good luck to you too.
>>
> Thanks JD.
>
> Using the staging drivers supplied with RPMFusion works for me, except
> that it can't load the firmware (RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin)
>
> I still get a wireless device, though.
>
> -c
Yeah... that's why it is called staging, and there is not support for it 
to boot :)
Just hope that when Fedora updates the kernel, rpmfusion will also update
the kmods to match it.
--

-- 
users mailing list
users <at> lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Chris Smart | 22 Oct 03:01 2010

Re: realtek rtl8188S

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM, JD <jd1008 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah... that's why it is called staging, and there is not support for it
> to boot :)

Indeed. I appreciate that Fedora ships stable drivers - Ubuntu puts
them all in to "make everything work" but..

> Just hope that when Fedora updates the kernel, rpmfusion will also update
> the kmods to match it.

Yeah, an akmod would be great..

-c
--

-- 
users mailing list
users <at> lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Chris Smart | 22 Oct 02:43 2010

Re: realtek rtl8188S

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Chris Smart <mail <at> christophersmart.com> wrote:
>
> I guess if you can build the staging drivers out of kernel, then you
> might have some luck.
>

I just realised that staging drivers are available in RPMFusion Free
repo. So if you enable that, just run:

yum install kmod-staging
depmod -a

And insert your USB device.

See how you go!

-c
--

-- 
users mailing list
users <at> lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

JD | 22 Oct 02:41 2010
Picon

Re: realtek rtl8188S

  On 10/21/2010 04:58 PM, Terry Polzin wrote:
> Broke down and bought a cheap mini usb wireless N device.
> lsusb
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:8171 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
>
>
> Oct 21 19:17:19 excaliber kernel: usb 1-1: new high speed USB device
> using ehci_hcd and address 3
> Oct 21 19:17:19 excaliber kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device found,
> idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8171
> Oct 21 19:17:19 excaliber kernel: usb 1-1: New USB device strings:
> Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
> Oct 21 19:17:19 excaliber kernel: usb 1-1: Product: RTL8188S WLAN
> Adapter
> Oct 21 19:17:19 excaliber kernel: usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Manufacturer
> Realtek
> Oct 21 19:17:19 excaliber kernel: usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
>
> Naturally, there doesn't seem to be kernel support for it just some
> vague linux folder on the mini cd-rom that came with it and barely what
> can be considered documentation in english with some source code.
>
> Kernel: 2.6.34.7-56.fc13.i686.PAE
>
> Anyone have some experience with this device.
> It's been a long time since 2.4 kernel when I did this a lot.
> I'm going to need almost step by step instructions if someone has the
(Continue reading)

Chris Smart | 22 Oct 03:28 2010

Re: realtek rtl8188S

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Terry Polzin <foxec208 <at> wowway.com> wrote:
> rtl819xU:request firmware fail!
>
> rtl819xU:Firmware Download Fail!!a
>
> rtl819xU: --->FirmwareDownload92S()
>
> usb 1-1: firmware: requesting RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin
> rtl819xU:request firmware fail!
>
> rtl819xU:Firmware Download Fail!!a
>
> rtl819xU:ERR!!! _rtl8192_up(): initialization is failed!
>
>
> Looks like finding the firmware may be a wild goose chase.
>

Cool, it needs the same firmware as my Billion device.

So, download it from Billion's website:
http://au.billion.com/product/wireless/fd_wireless/bipac3011n.php

Unzip it, and the file you want is here:
./rtl8192su_linux_2.4_2.6.0003.1019.2009.p1/rtl8192su_linux_2.4_2.6.0003.1019.2009/firmware/RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin

Copy the RTL8192SU *directory* to /lib/firmware as root.

Re-plug in your device and check again with dmesg.

(Continue reading)

Terry Polzin | 22 Oct 03:31 2010

Re: realtek rtl8188S

On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 12:28 +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Terry Polzin <foxec208 <at> wowway.com> wrote:
> > rtl819xU:request firmware fail!
> >
> > rtl819xU:Firmware Download Fail!!a
> >
> > rtl819xU: --->FirmwareDownload92S()
> >
> > usb 1-1: firmware: requesting RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin
> > rtl819xU:request firmware fail!
> >
> > rtl819xU:Firmware Download Fail!!a
> >
> > rtl819xU:ERR!!! _rtl8192_up(): initialization is failed!
> >
> >
> > Looks like finding the firmware may be a wild goose chase.
> >
> 
> Cool, it needs the same firmware as my Billion device.
> 
> So, download it from Billion's website:
> http://au.billion.com/product/wireless/fd_wireless/bipac3011n.php
> 
> Unzip it, and the file you want is here:
> ./rtl8192su_linux_2.4_2.6.0003.1019.2009.p1/rtl8192su_linux_2.4_2.6.0003.1019.2009/firmware/RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin
> 
> Copy the RTL8192SU *directory* to /lib/firmware as root.
> 
> Re-plug in your device and check again with dmesg.
(Continue reading)

Terry Polzin | 22 Oct 03:32 2010

Re: realtek rtl8188S

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 21:31 -0400, Terry Polzin wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 12:28 +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Terry Polzin <foxec208 <at> wowway.com> wrote:
> > > rtl819xU:request firmware fail!
> > >
> > > rtl819xU:Firmware Download Fail!!a
> > >
> > > rtl819xU: --->FirmwareDownload92S()
> > >
> > > usb 1-1: firmware: requesting RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin
> > > rtl819xU:request firmware fail!
> > >
> > > rtl819xU:Firmware Download Fail!!a
> > >
> > > rtl819xU:ERR!!! _rtl8192_up(): initialization is failed!
> > >
> > >
> > > Looks like finding the firmware may be a wild goose chase.
> > >
> > 
> > Cool, it needs the same firmware as my Billion device.
> > 
> > So, download it from Billion's website:
> > http://au.billion.com/product/wireless/fd_wireless/bipac3011n.php
> > 
> > Unzip it, and the file you want is here:
> > ./rtl8192su_linux_2.4_2.6.0003.1019.2009.p1/rtl8192su_linux_2.4_2.6.0003.1019.2009/firmware/RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin
> > 
> > Copy the RTL8192SU *directory* to /lib/firmware as root.
> > 
(Continue reading)

Terry Polzin | 22 Oct 03:36 2010

Re: realtek rtl8188S

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 21:31 -0400, Terry Polzin wrote:

> On my home wireless now.  Thanks for the help mates.
> 
BTW my wireless network is wpa authenticated I made no changes to the
wpa config I also let NetworkManager run the show to make the
connections.

--

-- 
users mailing list
users <at> lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

JD | 22 Oct 03:57 2010
Picon

Re: realtek rtl8188S

  On 10/21/2010 06:31 PM, Terry Polzin wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 12:28 +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Terry Polzin<foxec208 <at> wowway.com>  wrote:
>>> rtl819xU:request firmware fail!
>>>
>>> rtl819xU:Firmware Download Fail!!a
>>>
>>> rtl819xU: --->FirmwareDownload92S()
>>>
>>> usb 1-1: firmware: requesting RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin
>>> rtl819xU:request firmware fail!
>>>
>>> rtl819xU:Firmware Download Fail!!a
>>>
>>> rtl819xU:ERR!!! _rtl8192_up(): initialization is failed!
>>>
>>>
>>> Looks like finding the firmware may be a wild goose chase.
>>>
>> Cool, it needs the same firmware as my Billion device.
>>
>> So, download it from Billion's website:
>> http://au.billion.com/product/wireless/fd_wireless/bipac3011n.php
>>
>> Unzip it, and the file you want is here:
>> ./rtl8192su_linux_2.4_2.6.0003.1019.2009.p1/rtl8192su_linux_2.4_2.6.0003.1019.2009/firmware/RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin
>>
>> Copy the RTL8192SU *directory* to /lib/firmware as root.
>>
>> Re-plug in your device and check again with dmesg.
(Continue reading)

Chris Smart | 22 Oct 05:55 2010

Re: realtek rtl8188S

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Terry Polzin <foxec208 <at> wowway.com> wrote:
>
> On my home wireless now.  Thanks for the help mates.

I've blogged it
(http://blog.christophersmart.com/2010/10/22/realtek-usb-wireless-on-linux-fedora/)
for future reference, and will add anything new that I find there.

-c
--

-- 
users mailing list
users <at> lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
JD | 22 Oct 06:15 2010
Picon

Re: realtek rtl8188S

  On 10/21/2010 08:55 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Terry
It would be even more helpful if you entered
into a new topic on fedoraforum.org
--

-- 
users mailing list
users <at> lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Chris Smart | 22 Oct 06:40 2010

Re: realtek rtl8188S

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 3:15 PM, JD <jd1008 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be even more helpful if you entered
> into a new topic on fedoraforum.org

Done.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1408465

The wiki next? ;-)

-c
--

-- 
users mailing list
users <at> lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines


Gmane