Timothy Murphy | 1 Jun 02:05 2011
Picon

Bluetooth under KDE?

Is it possible to install and setup Bluetooth under Fedora-15/KDE?
I gather kbluetooth (or kdebluetooth) no longer exists,
and bluez seems to be departing in favour of  bluedevil,
which unfortunately appears to be completely undocumented.

Assuming KDE and Bluetooth are compatible,
is there a howto or tutorial explaining how
a Fedora laptop can communicate with a mobile phone through bluetooth?

Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Kevin Kofler | 2 Jun 01:09 2011
Picon

Re: Bluetooth under KDE?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Is it possible to install and setup Bluetooth under Fedora-15/KDE?
> I gather kbluetooth (or kdebluetooth) no longer exists,
> and bluez seems to be departing in favour of  bluedevil,
> which unfortunately appears to be completely undocumented.

BlueDevil is the replacement for KBluetooth which itself was the replacement
for kdebluetooth. They all are based on BlueZ, and are frontends developed
by the KDE Project to integrate BlueZ into the KDE Plasma Workspace. Only
BlueDevil is actively maintained and works with the Plasma Workspace in KDE
SC 4.6.x, so this is what we ship in Fedora 14 updates and Fedora 15.

> Assuming KDE and Bluetooth are compatible,

They are, that's what BlueDevil is for.

> is there a howto or tutorial explaining how a Fedora laptop can
> communicate with a mobile phone through bluetooth?

The author's blog: http://www.afiestas.org/ has some screenshots and
screencasts.

        Kevin Kofler

Timothy Murphy | 2 Jun 21:15 2011
Picon

Re: Bluetooth under KDE?

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> The author's blog: http://www.afiestas.org/ has some screenshots and
> screencasts.

Thanks, I'm studying that.
I misunderstood what BlueDevil was for -
I didn't realise it was KDE-oriented.

Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Anne Wilson | 6 Aug 18:18 2011

Re: Bluetooth under KDE?

There is some info at http://userbase.kde.org/Bluedevil - it looks a bit
sparse, but when I tried following it, it "just worked".so that may be all you
need.

Anne
There is some info at http://userbase.kde.org/Bluedevil - it looks a bit
sparse, but when I tried following it, it "just worked".so that may be all you
need.

Anne
Jaroslav Reznik | 2 Jun 14:08 2011
X-Face
Picon

Re: Bluetooth under KDE?

On Wednesday, June 01, 2011 02:05:28 AM Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Is it possible to install and setup Bluetooth under Fedora-15/KDE?
> I gather kbluetooth (or kdebluetooth) no longer exists,
> and bluez seems to be departing in favour of  bluedevil,
> which unfortunately appears to be completely undocumented.
>
> Assuming KDE and Bluetooth are compatible,
> is there a howto or tutorial explaining how
> a Fedora laptop can communicate with a mobile phone through bluetooth?

As Kevin already answered - yes, Libbluedevil/Bluedevil are replacements for
KBluetooth and of course it's using BlueZ.

Usually it works very well - file transfers and device browsing works (and it's
very nice integrated to the whole desktop!!!), input devices works (tested with
BT mouse). Audio works too, I have an issue with multi service BT headset -
already reported upstream.

If you have any question, feel free to ask me.

Jaroslav

Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik <at> redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275
Mobile: +420 602 797 774

Timothy Murphy | 2 Jun 21:10 2011
Picon

Re: Bluetooth under KDE?

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:

> As Kevin already answered - yes, Libbluedevil/Bluedevil are replacements
> for KBluetooth and of course it's using BlueZ.
>
> Usually it works very well - file transfers and device browsing works (and
> it's very nice integrated to the whole desktop!!!), input devices works
> (tested with BT mouse). Audio works too, I have an issue with multi
> service BT headset - already reported upstream.
>
> If you have any question, feel free to ask me.

Thanks very much.
I'll call on your help if I get lost ...