John O'Donnell | 1 Jan 09:29 2012
Picon

Cant get -current 3.1.5 to boot

I upgraded from 3.1.2 to the 3.1.5 packages yesterday. Before attempting to
compile the guruplug UAP drivers I tried to boot and had no luck.  Hung at:

-- ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
    Image Name:   Linux-3.1.5-kirkwood
    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
    Data Size:    2090424 Bytes = 2 MiB
    Load Address: 00008000
    Entry Point:  00008000
    Verifying Checksum ... OK
    Image Name:   Slackware ARM Initial RAM disk f
    Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
    Data Size:    5811263 Bytes = 5.5 MiB
    Load Address: 00000000
    Entry Point:  00000000
    Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

I compiled up the modules and my own uImage with the .config that comes with the
armedslack kernel source and the same thing happens.

I set it back to 3.1.2 and it boots fine.
John

(Continue reading)

Stuart Winter | 1 Jan 19:25 2012
Picon

Re: Cant get -current 3.1.5 to boot

> I set it back to 3.1.2 and it boots fine.

Do you have the same memory location settings as in the INSTALL_KIRKWOOD
doc?

I've seen this before when there's not enough RAM been allocated.

Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org
John O'Donnell | 1 Jan 19:33 2012

On 01/01/2012 01:25 PM, Stuart Winter wrote:

>> I set it back to 3.1.2 and it boots fine.
>
> Do you have the same memory location settings as in the INSTALL_KIRKWOOD
> doc?
>
> I've seen this before when there's not enough RAM been allocated.

GuruPlug>> printenv bootcmd_slk
bootcmd_slk=usb start;fatload usb 1:1 0x01100000 uinitrd-kirkwood-3.1.5;fatload
usb 1:1 0x00800000 /uImage-kirkwood-3.1.5;bootm 0x00800000 0x01100000

      For installation to a *USB* disc:

      Marvell>>   setenv bootcmd_slk 'usb start;ext2load usb 0:1 0x01100000
/uinitrd-kirkwood;ext2load usb 0:1 0x00800000 /uImage-kirkwood;bootm 0x00800000
0x01100000'

=== Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===
+================================+==================================+
|  John O'Donnell                |                                  |
|  (Sr. Systems Engineer,        |    http://juanisan.homeip.net    |
|  Net Admin, Programmer, etc.)  |  E-Mail: unixjohn1969 <at> gmail.com  |
+================================+==================================+
No man is useless who has a friend, and if we are loved we are
indispensable.  -- Robert Louis Stevenson
(Continue reading)

Davide | 2 Jan 09:07 2012
Picon

Re: Cant get -current 3.1.5 to boot

Have not yet fiddled with new 3.x.x kernels yet but experience forced me to be carefull wneb copying .config's across releases.
Using 2.6.38.1 config on 2.6.38.x  was possible but using 2.6.38.x confin on 2.6.39.x would produce unexpected results. (38 and 39 ar just examples coz I've forgotten the names of each number)

[...]

Oh yeah - Happy New Year ;-)

=== Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===
Stuart Winter | 2 Jan 10:41 2012

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012, Davide wrote:

> Have not yet fiddled with new 3.x.x kernels yet but experience forced me to be carefull wneb copying
.config's across releases.
> Using 2.6.38.1 config on 2.6.38.x  was possible but using 2.6.38.x confin on 2.6.39.x would produce
unexpected results. (38 and 39 ar just examples coz I've forgotten the names of each number)

He's using the .config provided in armedslack's tree - which works fine
for me on the sheevaplug and openrd client.

I've just prepared linux 3.2rc7 packages so you can see whether those
work.
Perhaps something about the guruplug support got broken in 3.1.5.
John O'Donnell | 2 Jan 15:26 2012

On 01/02/2012 04:41 AM, Stuart Winter wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2012, Davide wrote:
>
>> Have not yet fiddled with new 3.x.x kernels yet but experience forced me to be carefull wneb copying
.config's across releases.
>> Using 2.6.38.1 config on 2.6.38.x  was possible but using 2.6.38.x confin on 2.6.39.x would produce
unexpected results. (38 and 39 ar just examples coz I've forgotten the names of each number)

> He's using the .config provided in armedslack's tree - which works fine
> for me on the sheevaplug and openrd client.
>
> I've just prepared linux 3.2rc7 packages so you can see whether those
> work.
> Perhaps something about the guruplug support got broken in 3.1.5.

Its possible, but I hope it doesnt refer to all the current Sheevas that are
really Guruplugs.

=== Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===
+================================+==================================+
|  John O'Donnell                |                                  |
|  (Sr. Systems Engineer,        |    http://juanisan.homeip.net    |
|  Net Admin, Programmer, etc.)  |  E-Mail: unixjohn1969 <at> gmail.com  |
+================================+==================================+
No man is useless who has a friend, and if we are loved we are
indispensable.  -- Robert Louis Stevenson
John O'Donnell | 3 Jan 11:01 2012
Picon

Re: Cant get -current 3.1.5 to boot

On 01/02/2012 04:41 AM, Stuart Winter wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2012, Davide wrote:
>
>> Have not yet fiddled with new 3.x.x kernels yet but experience forced me to be carefull wneb copying
.config's across releases.
>> Using 2.6.38.1 config on 2.6.38.x  was possible but using 2.6.38.x confin on 2.6.39.x would produce
unexpected results. (38 and 39 ar just examples coz I've forgotten the names of each number)

> He's using the .config provided in armedslack's tree - which works fine
> for me on the sheevaplug and openrd client.
>
> I've just prepared linux 3.2rc7 packages so you can see whether those
> work.
> Perhaps something about the guruplug support got broken in 3.1.5.

I hope not.  All the recent Sheevas are based on the guruplugs
This would be very bad indeed.

=== Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===
+================================+==================================+
|  John O'Donnell                |                                  |
|  (Sr. Systems Engineer,        |    http://juanisan.homeip.net    |
|  Net Admin, Programmer, etc.)  |  E-Mail: unixjohn1969 <at> gmail.com  |
+================================+==================================+
No man is useless who has a friend, and if we are loved we are
indispensable.  -- Robert Louis Stevenson
Robby Workman | 11 Feb 08:08 2012
Picon

Re: Cant get -current 3.1.5 to boot

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 03:29:24 -0500
John O'Donnell <unixjohn1969 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> I upgraded from 3.1.2 to the 3.1.5 packages yesterday. Before
> attempting to compile the guruplug UAP drivers I tried to boot and
> had no luck.  Hung at:
>

> -- ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
>     Image Name:   Linux-3.1.5-kirkwood
>     Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>     Data Size:    2090424 Bytes = 2 MiB
>     Load Address: 00008000
>     Entry Point:  00008000
>     Verifying Checksum ... OK
>     Image Name:   Slackware ARM Initial RAM disk f
>     Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
>     Data Size:    5811263 Bytes = 5.5 MiB
>     Load Address: 00000000
>     Entry Point:  00000000
>     Verifying Checksum ... OK
> OK
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
>

> I compiled up the modules and my own uImage with the .config that
> comes with the armedslack kernel source and the same thing happens.
>
> I set it back to 3.1.2 and it boots fine.

Oh bah, something definitely changed somewhere along the line :/

For a new project here, I need a newer kernel than the one in 13.37,
so I decided to use the 3.2.2 kernel from -current.  I get the same
problem here (albeit under slightly different circumstances).

Mine is installed to the NAND, and rootfs is on the mtd, so I don't
need an initrd at all; thus, my env settings are this:

Marvell>> printenv
arcNumber=2659
baudrate=115200
bootargs_console=console=ttyS0,115200
bootargs_root=ubi.mtd=2 root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs rootfs=ubifs
bootcmd=setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console) $(bootargs_root); run bootcmd_nand; run bootcmd_slack
bootcmd_nand=nand read 0x800000 0x100000 0x400000
bootcmd_slack=bootm 0x800000
bootdelay=3
eth1addr=02:50:43:eb:75:43
ethact=egiga0
ethaddr=00:50:43:01:5D:EA
fileaddr=800000
filesize=36D00
ipaddr=192.168.13.1
mainlineLinux=yes
nand_erasesize=20000
nand_oobsize=40
nand_writesize=800
serverip=192.168.13.11
stderr=serial
stdin=serial
stdout=serial

When I boot, here's what happens:

U-Boot 2011.06 (Jul 26 2011 - 12:26:42)
Marvell-GuruPlug

SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A1
DRAM:  512 MiB
NAND:  512 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   egiga0, egiga1
88E1121 Initialized on egiga0
88E1121 Initialized on egiga1
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x100000, size 0x400000
 4194304 bytes read: OK
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.2.2-kirkwood
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    2082616 Bytes = 2 MiB
   Load Address: 00008000
   Entry Point:  00008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

...  nothing ...

I can boot the 13.37 kernel and such just fine still, but I don't
have any of the old 3.1.x kernels from -current.  I guess I'll have
to compile my own, because I *really* need something newer than
2.6.38 :/

-RW
Robby Workman | 11 Feb 08:32 2012
Picon

Re: Cant get -current 3.1.5 to boot

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 01:08:13 -0600
Robby Workman <rw <at> rlworkman.net> wrote:

> [...]
> Net:   egiga0, egiga1
> 88E1121 Initialized on egiga0
> 88E1121 Initialized on egiga1
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
>
> NAND read: device 0 offset 0x100000, size 0x400000
>  4194304 bytes read: OK
> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
>    Image Name:   Linux-3.2.2-kirkwood
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>    Data Size:    2082616 Bytes = 2 MiB
>    Load Address: 00008000
>    Entry Point:  00008000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
> OK
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
>
> ...  nothing ...
>

> I can boot the 13.37 kernel and such just fine still, but I don't
> have any of the old 3.1.x kernels from -current.  I guess I'll have
> to compile my own, because I *really* need something newer than

And just found this:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist <at> lists.debian.org/msg986288.html
  http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2012-February/117020.html

So I went here:

  http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/uboot-upgrade.html

and grabbed this:

  http://people.debian.org/~tbm/u-boot/2011.12-2/guruplug/u-boot.kwb

Even so, this still hangs:

U-Boot 2011.12 (Jan 08 2012 - 21:46:50)
Marvell-GuruPlug

SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A1
DRAM:  512 MiB
WARNING: Caches not enabled
NAND:  512 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   egiga0, egiga1
88E1121 Initialized on egiga0
88E1121 Initialized on egiga1
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x100000, size 0x400000
 4194304 bytes read: OK
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.2.2-kirkwood
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    2082616 Bytes = 2 MiB
   Load Address: 00008000
   Entry Point:  00008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

... bah ...
Stuart Winter | 11 Feb 10:12 2012
Picon

Re: Cant get -current 3.1.5 to boot

> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
[..]

I wonder though whether the kernel is actually booting but the serial
console output has stopped.  Have you tried pinging the machine's IP after
a few mins?

I pushed out Linux 3.2.5 yesterday to -current.  Does this work?

The same problem is reported here though:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=658759:

Have a read through that - there's a link to an u-boot patch.
The suggestion is that a kernel change has exposed a bug in the u-boot on
the guruplugs.  Although as I said, the same Kernel runs perfectly on my
Sheevas and OpenRD client; but IIRC the u-boot for guruplugs was never
really robust.

Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org
Jim Hammack | 11 Feb 20:11 2012

Re: Cant get -current 3.1.5 to boot

FWIW, this is exactly what I am seeing on my Dreamplug Ser 114xxx.  I can only boot using the original u-boot shipped with the plug (which doesn't support ext2) and a 2.6 kernel.  It's not a serial output problem - no ping replies.

On 02/11/2012 03:12 AM, Stuart Winter wrote:
Starting kernel ... Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
[..] I wonder though whether the kernel is actually booting but the serial console output has stopped. Have you tried pinging the machine's IP after a few mins? I pushed out Linux 3.2.5 yesterday to -current. Does this work? The same problem is reported here though: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=658759: Have a read through that - there's a link to an u-boot patch. The suggestion is that a kernel change has exposed a bug in the u-boot on the guruplugs. Although as I said, the same Kernel runs perfectly on my Sheevas and OpenRD client; but IIRC the u-boot for guruplugs was never really robust.
Robby Workman | 11 Feb 20:12 2012
Picon

Re: Cant get -current 3.1.5 to boot

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 09:12:41 +0000 (GMT)
Stuart Winter <m-lists <at> biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

> > Starting kernel ...
> >
> > Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
> [..]
>
> I wonder though whether the kernel is actually booting but the serial
> console output has stopped.  Have you tried pinging the machine's IP
> after a few mins?
>
> I pushed out Linux 3.2.5 yesterday to -current.  Does this work?
>
> The same problem is reported here though:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=658759:

Yes, I found that, but I *really* don't want to build my own uboot.
I did that several times before, and as often as not, I had to use
the openocd stuff to recover the plug :)

> Have a read through that - there's a link to an u-boot patch.
> The suggestion is that a kernel change has exposed a bug in the
> u-boot on the guruplugs.  Although as I said, the same Kernel runs
> perfectly on my Sheevas and OpenRD client; but IIRC the u-boot for
> guruplugs was never really robust.

Yes indeed, it's fragile.  I'm hoping 3.2.5 is fine, but time will
tell.  I've pulled the latest kernel from -current, but I was too
sleepy last night at 0300 to try it.  I'll get there today...  :)

-RW
Robby Workman | 11 Feb 22:05 2012
Picon

Re: Cant get -current 3.1.5 to boot

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 13:12:01 -0600
Robby Workman <robby <at> rlworkman.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 09:12:41 +0000 (GMT)
> Stuart Winter <m-lists <at> biscuit.org.uk> wrote:
>

> > > Starting kernel ...
> > >
> > > Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
> > [..]
> >
> > I wonder though whether the kernel is actually booting but the
> > serial console output has stopped.  Have you tried pinging the
> > machine's IP after a few mins?
> >
> > I pushed out Linux 3.2.5 yesterday to -current.  Does this work?
> >
> > The same problem is reported here though:
> >
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=658759:
>

> Yes, I found that, but I *really* don't want to build my own uboot.
> I did that several times before, and as often as not, I had to use
> the openocd stuff to recover the plug :)
>

> > Have a read through that - there's a link to an u-boot patch.
> > The suggestion is that a kernel change has exposed a bug in the
> > u-boot on the guruplugs.  Although as I said, the same Kernel runs
> > perfectly on my Sheevas and OpenRD client; but IIRC the u-boot for
> > guruplugs was never really robust.
>

> Yes indeed, it's fragile.  I'm hoping 3.2.5 is fine, but time will
> tell.  I've pulled the latest kernel from -current, but I was too
> sleepy last night at 0300 to try it.  I'll get there today...  :)

Okay, here's the verdict:

3.2.x simply won't boot -- I just tried 3.2.5 and got the same results.
You'll have to flash a new u-boot.  Best I can tell, there's not one
already built out there floating around on the web, so you'll have to
do it yourself, and here's how.

First, get a git checkout of Marvell's u-boot stuff:
  git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-marvell.git

Make sure you have the 'master' branch checked out:
  git checkout master

Now build the new u-boot.kwb image:
  make guruplug_config
  make
  ./tools/mkimage \
    -n ./board/Marvell/guruplug/kwbimage.cfg \
    -T kwbimage \
    -a 0x00600000 \
    -e 0x00600000 \
    -d u-boot.bin \
    u-boot.kwb

Now reboot the plug and "hit any key" to stop booting and drop
you into the u-boot environment.

Set "serverip" to your tftp server and "ipaddr" to your plug ip
  setenv serverip 10.10.10.1
  setenv ipaddr 10.10.10.2

Grab the u-boot.kwb image
  tftpboot 0x0800000 u-boot.kwb

Erase the old u-boot image and flash the new one
  nand erase 0x0 0x60000
  nand write 0x0800000 0x0 0x60000

For grins and giggles, do this (but note that you might have to
re-setenv all of your env setttings):
  saveenv
  reset

In case anyone doesn't want to build the u-boot.kwb themselves, I'm
attaching my image (gpg signed) to this message: here are md5sums:
  070a4e64fabf2cbeff5778f1702f7f19  u-boot.kwb
  8508eba5be077fca2e446c8998780b40  u-boot.kwb.asc

Enjoy!

-RW

Attachment (u-boot.kwb): application/octet-stream, 302 KiB
Stuart Winter | 11 Feb 22:47 2012
Picon

Re: Cant get -current 3.1.5 to boot

> attaching my image (gpg signed) to this message: here are md5sums:
[..]

I'll add this to the ftp site once I push the next round of updates.

Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org

Gmane