Giovanni | 13 Feb 10:27 2012
Picon

How to install full Slackware from mini root file system

I have installed Slackware ARM 13.37 on a pandaboard successfully.

Now I would like to install the full version (all packages), starting from the working minimal installation.

I already downloaded the slackware ARM tree via rsync directly on the pandaboard.

What is the suggested way to install all the packages?

Best regards,
giovanni

Davide | 13 Feb 11:20 2012
Picon

Re: How to install full Slackware from mini root file system

Generally I do this by hand by installing what I require as I find missing functionality.
But as a starting guide you might want to get networking working and slackpkg working:
n/dhcpcd-5.2.11-i486-1.txz
n/ethtool-2.6.36-i486-1.txz
n/inetd-1.79s-i486-8.txz
n/iptables-1.4.10-i486-1.txz
n/iputils-s20101006-i486-1.txz
n/iw-0.9.20-i486-1.txz
n/links-2.3pre1-i486-1.txz
n/network-scripts-13.0-noarch-3.txz
n/nmap-5.51-i486-1.txz
n/openssh-5.8p1-i486-1.txz
n/wget-1.12-i486-1.txz
n/wireless-tools-29-i486-6.txz
n/wpa_supplicant-0.7.3-i486-3.txz
ap/slackpkg-2.82.0-noarch-5.tgz

Then setup slackpkg to point to the repository you wish, and run "slackpkg update" ... from there getting the rest will be very easy and fast when you need it:
slackpkg install <package base name>
or even get prompted for a wole set of packages
slackpkg install n

Have fun
Davide

I have installed Slackware ARM 13.37 on a pandaboard successfully.

Now I would like to install the full version (all packages), starting from the working minimal installation.

I already downloaded the slackware ARM tree via rsync directly on the pandaboard.

What is the suggested way to install all the packages?

Best regards,
giovanni

Giovanni | 13 Feb 11:43 2012
Picon

Re: How to install full Slackware from mini root file system

Thanks Davide for your answer.

I need a clarification. I already have a minimal slackware 13.37 installed and working.

My question is:
if I go to the directory slackware/a and I install all the packages with the command
# installpkg *.t?z
go I break the already installed packages or it just overwrites the existing packages?

Best regards,
giovanni

[...]

Andrzej Telszewski | 13 Feb 11:57 2012

On 02/13/2012 11:43 AM, Giovanni wrote:
> My question is:
> if I go to the directory slackware/a and I install all the packages with
> the command
> # installpkg *.t?z
> go I break the already installed packages or it just overwrites the
> existing packages?

You would be better using:
installpkg --install-new *.t?z

Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski
Andrzej Telszewski | 13 Feb 12:01 2012
Picon

Re: How to install full Slackware from mini root file system

> You would be better using:
> installpkg --install-new *.t?z

Sorry, should be:
upgradepkg --install-new *.t?z

Pozdrawiam,
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski
Giovanni | 15 Feb 17:22 2012
Picon

Re: How to install full Slackware from mini root file system

Thanks for all the answers.

At the end, I installed by using rsync to download the slackware tree locally on the pandabard and then upgradepkg --install-new *.t?z in each package series' directory.