David Madden | 20 Feb 19:49 2012

GuruPlug Wireless?

Hi, I've been working on customizing a GuruPlug to do some specific
tasks on my home network.  I've tried installing Slackware & Debian
(both successful) but I haven't been able to build a functional kernel
or get wireless running.  So, I wonder:

* How much of a hassle is it to get from a vanilla kernel tree to a
bootable uImage?  (I've gotten clean compiles using the config from
/boot/config-whatever, but it hangs on boot after "Uncompressing
Linux... done, booting the kernel.")

* Are the Marvell wireless drivers & tools integrated into the kernel /
distro, or is it still an "add external software" project?

(I'm fiddling with this in the first place, rather than going with a
full Slackware or Debian install, because I'd like to put together a
minimal system that fits in the 512MB NAND Flash, so my USB disk can be
all data.)

Thanks!
Geoff Walton | 21 Feb 13:34 2012

Re: GuruPlug Wireless?

I had to 'borrow' to firmware files from the debian install that ships on the device in order to get AP mode to work.  I never attempted to get it to run as a client.  You can download the file system image from plugcomputer.org and exact them.  I have good luck in general with the  2.6.33.5-kirkwood kernel from the 13.1 ArmedSlack distribution, after struggling with the wireless on the later kernels; even though I am using most of the other packages for a snapshot of current shortly before the release of 13.37 and a few later application layer ones with security updates.

I can send the firmware images if you need and get them out the Debian image (not entirely sure of the license); but I would try the 2.6.33.5-kirkwood kernel image from 13.1 to get your wireless going.

It seems like a number of people had wireless

[...]

John O'Donnell | 23 Feb 08:57 2012
Picon

Re: GuruPlug Wireless?

On 02/20/2012 01:49 PM, David Madden wrote:
> Hi, I've been working on customizing a GuruPlug to do some specific tasks on my
> home network. I've tried installing Slackware & Debian (both successful) but I
> haven't been able to build a functional kernel or get wireless running. So, I
> wonder:
>
> * How much of a hassle is it to get from a vanilla kernel tree to a bootable
> uImage? (I've gotten clean compiles using the config from /boot/config-whatever,
> but it hangs on boot after "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.")
>
> * Are the Marvell wireless drivers & tools integrated into the kernel / distro,
> or is it still an "add external software" project?

It is NOT a part of armedslack.  I have all the files needed (firmware / boot
scripts / binaries + source) to run an access point here:

http://juanisan.homeip.net/guruplug/uap-slackware/

The drivers are NOT a part of the armedslack kernel and need to be rolled in by
hand.  A patch for armedslack is here:

http://juanisan.homeip.net/guruplug/JJO-Marvell-Libertas-8688-AP-FULLPATCH-up-to-3.1.2.patch

> (I'm fiddling with this in the first place, rather than going with a full
> Slackware or Debian install, because I'd like to put together a minimal system
> that fits in the 512MB NAND Flash, so my USB disk can be all data.)

That shouldnt be a problem but you will need to add in UBIFS or whatever your
root fs is into the kernel as the guruplug MTD layout doesnt have a partition
for an initrd.

hope this helps
John

=== Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===
+================================+==================================+
|  John O'Donnell                |                                  |
|  (Sr. Systems Engineer,        |    http://juanisan.homeip.net    |
|  Net Admin, Programmer, etc.)  |  E-Mail: unixjohn1969 <at> gmail.com  |
+================================+==================================+
No man is useless who has a friend, and if we are loved we are
indispensable.  -- Robert Louis Stevenson
Stuart Winter | 23 Feb 09:09 2012
Picon

Re: GuruPlug Wireless?

> http://juanisan.homeip.net/guruplug/JJO-Marvell-Libertas-8688-AP-FULLPATCH-up-to-3.1.2.patch

I remember you mentioning this before.  What would need to happen to make
this patch be in the upstream kernel?

Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org
John O'Donnell | 23 Feb 09:58 2012
Picon

Re: GuruPlug Wireless?

On 02/23/2012 03:09 AM, Stuart Winter wrote:

>> http://juanisan.homeip.net/guruplug/JJO-Marvell-Libertas-8688-AP-FULLPATCH-up-to-3.1.2.patch
>
> I remember you mentioning this before.  What would need to happen to make
> this patch be in the upstream kernel?

I consulted the libertas driver author.  It was too custom somehow.  He made it
sound like it could never make it into the mainstream kernel.  They are
attempting to make the current driver more generic to cover more of the chipsets
and bus access methods, but it will probably be a while before this chipset gets
looked at.

I just patch what they had to work with all the current kernel changes.  Till
then it remains a custom driver.  I could make a package that could match the
kernel_kirkwood-3.x.x-arm-1.tgz but I would have to make one every time you
changed your kernel.  Add a separate package for the binaries, libs, scripts
that dont change.  This way there would be nothing to compile for the end user,
but how important is it?

John

=== Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===
|  John O'Donnell                |                                  |
|  (Sr. Systems Engineer,        |    http://juanisan.homeip.net    |
|  Net Admin, Programmer, etc.)  |  E-Mail: unixjohn1969 <at> gmail.com  |
No man is useless who has a friend, and if we are loved we are
indispensable.  -- Robert Louis Stevenson

Gmane