Ottavio Caruso | 30 Nov 16:52 2012
Picon

Bringing mlan0 up at boot

When I boot my Slackware installation on my Chromebook (more about
this later), I need to manually bring the interface mlan0 up myself.

To save time can I add this line to the boot config:

nic=auto:mlan0:dhcp

or is this only worth for wired networking?

Then I would have to use use wpa_supplicant to bring the network up anyway.

Ottavio
Stuart Winter | 30 Nov 17:47 2012
Picon

Re: Bringing mlan0 up at boot

> nic=auto:mlan0:dhcp
>
> or is this only worth for wired networking?
>
> Then I would have to use use wpa_supplicant to bring the network up anyway.

Exactly - if your WLAN is secured (most likely) then you'd need another
service to help bring up the interface, so it doesn't seem that there's
any value in adding this at boot.

Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org
Ottavio Caruso | 30 Nov 17:50 2012
Picon

Re: Bringing mlan0 up at boot

On 30 November 2012 16:47, Stuart Winter <m-lists <at> biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

>> nic=auto:mlan0:dhcp
>>
>> or is this only worth for wired networking?
>>
>> Then I would have to use use wpa_supplicant to bring the network up anyway.
>
> Exactly - if your WLAN is secured (most likely) then you'd need another
> service to help bring up the interface, so it doesn't seem that there's
> any value in adding this at boot.

But would it bring mlan0 up anyway, instead of typing:
ifconfig mlan0 up

?

Ottavio
Stuart Winter | 30 Nov 18:18 2012
Picon

Re: Bringing mlan0 up at boot

> > Exactly - if your WLAN is secured (most likely) then you'd need another
> > service to help bring up the interface, so it doesn't seem that there's
> > any value in adding this at boot.
> >

> But would it bring mlan0 up anyway, instead of typing:
> ifconfig mlan0 up

I don't think it'll make any difference since nothing in the Slackware rc
scripts uses this - it's only the installer, as far as I can see.
alienBOB added it some time ago to help speed up his own installations,
IIRC.
Dave Dowell | 30 Nov 18:21 2012
Picon

Re: Bringing mlan0 up at boot

On 30/11/2012 17:18, Stuart Winter wrote:
>>> Exactly - if your WLAN is secured (most likely) then you'd need another
>>> service to help bring up the interface, so it doesn't seem that there's
>>> any value in adding this at boot.
>>>
>> But would it bring mlan0 up anyway, instead of typing:
>> ifconfig mlan0 up
> I don't think it'll make any difference since nothing in the Slackware rc
> scripts uses this - it's only the installer, as far as I can see.
> alienBOB added it some time ago to help speed up his own installations,
> IIRC.
Isn't that the reason for rc.local in the standard rc.scripts? Why not
just add it there?

Dave
Ottavio Caruso | 30 Nov 18:24 2012
Picon

Re: Bringing mlan0 up at boot

On 30 November 2012 17:21, Dave Dowell <dowelld <at> netscape.net> wrote:
> Isn't that the reason for rc.local in the standard rc.scripts? Why not just
> add it there?

Thanks Dave and Stuart, I just wanted to experiment. I can't boot that
image anyway, so I can't tell you if it makes any difference.

Ottavio
Ottavio Caruso | 30 Nov 18:42 2012
Picon

Re: Bringing mlan0 up at boot

On 30 November 2012 17:24, Ottavio Caruso
<ottavio2006-usenet2012 <at> yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Dave and Stuart, I just wanted to experiment. I can't boot that
> image anyway, so I can't tell you if it makes any difference.

Good news: I was able to boot the image.

Other news: indeed it made no difference.

Ottavio

Gmane