Giovanni | 17 Nov 20:18 2010

How to compile the whole Slackware ARM?

Hello,

I am a member of the Slackware italian community (Slacky). Together with other people I am trying to learn how to compile the full Slackware ARM, in order to make a port to the BeagleBoard and PandaBoard.

I downloaded the full Slackware ARM tree and installed it on a PlugComputer successfully.

Now I woud like to compile all the Slackware ARM packages from the sources.

I searched the source files in the armedslack-13.1/source directory, but I found only the build scripts. Here are my questions:
  - where can I find the source files?
  - do I have to download them from the main original Slackware tree?
  - if so, what is the suggested way to structure the build environment (file tree, environment variables, scripts, etc.)
  - is there a way to make the full compile of all the packages by launching some scripts?
  - do I have to launch the slackbuild manually for each package?
  - is there an how-to guide for compiling the full Slackware?

Best regards,
giovanni

ARMedslack mailing list
ARMedslack <at> lists.armedslack.org
Stuart Winter | 18 Nov 10:26 2010

Re: How to compile the whole Slackware ARM?

> I am a member of the Slackware italian community (Slacky). Together with
> other people I am trying to learn how to compile the full Slackware ARM, in
> order to make a port to the BeagleBoard and PandaBoard.

A port for it? It'll already run on the beagleboard.
What is making you think that you need to do anything other than build a
kernel?

> I searched the source files in the armedslack-13.1/source directory, but I
> found only the build scripts. Here are my questions:

The instructions to build from source:
ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/armedslack/armedslack-current/source/README_SOURCE.txt

>   - is there an how-to guide for compiling the full Slackware?

No - it's an iterative process - some packages will just need
building once, but some will require rebuilding several times
throughout the process so that they can link against newly built libraries
etc.

Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org
Carlo Caione | 18 Nov 10:51 2010

Re: How to compile the whole Slackware ARM?

On 18/11/2010 10:26, Stuart Winter wrote:
>> I am a member of the Slackware italian community (Slacky). Together with
>> other people I am trying to learn how to compile the full Slackware ARM, in
>> order to make a port to the BeagleBoard and PandaBoard.
> A port for it? It'll already run on the beagleboard.
> What is making you think that you need to do anything other than build a
> kernel?

Ok, I hijack the discussion.
As I explained before in my previous email the idea is to recompile
armedslack with the right optimization for beaglebord (armv7 + neon +
cortex-a8 optimization) and provide also a preconfigured omap-patched
kernel, in addition to second and third stage bootloader (xloader and
uboot) for beagleboard.
That's the base idea of the project.

Carlo Caione
Thorsten Mühlfelder | 18 Nov 11:05 2010

Re: How to compile the whole Slackware ARM?

Am Thursday 18 November 2010 10:51:47 schrieb Carlo Caione:
> Ok, I hijack the discussion.
> As I explained before in my previous email the idea is to recompile
> armedslack with the right optimization for beaglebord (armv7 + neon +
> cortex-a8 optimization)

How much speed improvement can be gained by this, e.g. at Vorbis/Flac encoding
or at compiling?
Carlo Caione | 18 Nov 11:41 2010

Re: How to compile the whole Slackware ARM?

On 18/11/2010 11:05, Thorsten Mühlfelder wrote:
> Am Thursday 18 November 2010 10:51:47 schrieb Carlo Caione:
>> Ok, I hijack the discussion.
>> As I explained before in my previous email the idea is to recompile
>> armedslack with the right optimization for beaglebord (armv7 + neon +
>> cortex-a8 optimization)
> How much speed improvement can be gained by this, e.g. at Vorbis/Flac encoding
> or at compiling?

Good point. I'm not sure, but I think that support for NEON could ensure
a good speed up.

Here some pointers (not mine), about performance for different compilers
(but same parameters):

Thorsten Mühlfelder | 18 Nov 12:17 2010

Re: How to compile the whole Slackware ARM?

Am Thursday 18 November 2010 11:41:57 schrieb Carlo Caione:
> Here some pointers (not mine), about performance for different compilers
> (but same parameters):
> http://hardwarebug.org/2009/08/05/arm-compiler-shoot-out/

Thanks for providing this link. As I can see there FLAC uses integer and
Vorbis uses float. So rebuilding the libvorbis and flac packages should be
the easiest method to get some test tools for different compiler
optimizations.
Does anybody want to do it? ;-)
Carlo Caione | 18 Nov 13:03 2010

Re: How to compile the whole Slackware ARM?

On 18/11/2010 12:17, Thorsten Mühlfelder wrote:
> Am Thursday 18 November 2010 11:41:57 schrieb Carlo Caione:
>> Here some pointers (not mine), about performance for different compilers
>> (but same parameters):
>> http://hardwarebug.org/2009/08/05/arm-compiler-shoot-out/
> Thanks for providing this link. As I can see there FLAC uses integer and
> Vorbis uses float. So rebuilding the libvorbis and flac packages should be
> the easiest method to get some test tools for different compiler
> optimizations.
> Does anybody want to do it? ;-)

Ok, I'll let you know :) [no deadline pls ;)]

Carlo
Stuart Winter | 18 Nov 14:16 2010

Re: How to compile the whole Slackware ARM?

> > > Here some pointers (not mine), about performance for different compilers
> > > (but same parameters):
> > >
> > > http://hardwarebug.org/2009/08/05/arm-compiler-shoot-out/
> > >
> > Thanks for providing this link. As I can see there FLAC uses integer and
> > Vorbis uses float. So rebuilding the libvorbis and flac packages should be
> > the easiest method to get some test tools for different compiler
> > optimizations.
> > Does anybody want to do it? ;-)

I think this makes the most sense.  You'd probably also want to rebuild
glibc, but I don't think rebuilding the entire distribution would be
worthwhile -- because I'm not convinced about the speed improvement *and*
how long it'd take to build the packages: it's not a fast process.

Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org
Carlo Caione | 18 Nov 15:16 2010

Re: How to compile the whole Slackware ARM?

On 18/11/2010 14:16, Stuart Winter wrote:
>>>> Here some pointers (not mine), about performance for different compilers
>>>> (but same parameters):
>>>>
>>>> http://hardwarebug.org/2009/08/05/arm-compiler-shoot-out/
>>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks for providing this link. As I can see there FLAC uses integer and
>>> Vorbis uses float. So rebuilding the libvorbis and flac packages should be
>>> the easiest method to get some test tools for different compiler
>>> optimizations.
>>> Does anybody want to do it? ;-)
> I think this makes the most sense.  You'd probably also want to rebuild
> glibc, but I don't think rebuilding the entire distribution would be
> worthwhile -- because I'm not convinced about the speed improvement *and*
> how long it'd take to build the packages: it's not a fast process.

Agree. So far as concerns me, I'm interested now in a very minimal
distro (no X and superfluous packages).
Anyway ASAP I'll try to use armedslack with beagle without recompiling
anything (just a well-patched kernel).

Carlo Caione