Blair Hoddinott | 23 Nov 00:49 2010
Picon

Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

Hello All,

First off, I wanted to say hello to the armed slack community! Been a long time follower and lover of Slackware for many, many, many years. When I got my first plug a while ago (a SheevaPlug) I stumbled across the Armedslack tree and was in heaven. Everything worked great and I was in bliss.

So when the new GuruPlugs came out, I bought 2 and some hard drives and excitedely waited for their arrival, and grabbed a fresh copy of the 13.1 tree to await their arrival. Well, they came and that's when the fun started.

With my first plug (the Sheeva) the powersupply gave up its ghost, so I figured I would just move the USB hard drive over to the new guruplug, set the boot paramaters in the NAND and then I'd be off to the races! Well, after several days of trying to get it to work, I gave up figuring that maybe the USB boot wouldn't cut it.

I went out this weekend and grabbed up a nice 2TB sata drive, with an eSATA enclosure and got my heart set on ArmedSlack over eSATA with my GuruPlug. Nothing can stop me now!

I went through the installation document meticulously, and the installation went through without a hitch. It worked great! Until it came time to reboot. My heart sank when through the JTAG I saw the all-too-familliar:

ext2load -- command not found

This is after I had gone through and updated to the u-boot.bin file pointed out in the docs. I confirmed the version with what was in the help file, so after a bit of searching I grabbed the uboot.kwb file from this page:

To be fair, I also grabbed the one from this mailing list, which I found here:

Even still, after using those versions of uboot, I have this:
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
Unknown command 'ide' - try 'help'
** Block device ide 1 not supported
** Block device ide 1 not supported
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
resetting ...

I've searched for hours, and have come across the same posts time and time again. I've tried modifying the boot parameters for ide 1:0, 0:0, 0:1... all to no avail. Am I missing something basic?

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks in advance!

_B

Stuart Winter | 23 Nov 21:26 2010
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

> With my first plug (the Sheeva) the powersupply gave up its ghost, so I
> figured I would just move the USB hard drive over to the new guruplug, set
> the boot paramaters in the NAND and then I'd be off to the races! Well,
> after several days of trying to get it to work, I gave up figuring that
> maybe the USB boot wouldn't cut it.

Well, it should work assuming you're using the kernel supplied with
ARMedslack.

> This is after I had gone through and updated to the u-boot.bin file pointed
> out in the docs. I confirmed the version with what was in the help file, so
> after a bit of searching I grabbed the uboot.kwb file from this page:

I thought that the one I was linking to at:
http://www.armedslack.org/maint_kirkwooduboot
contained the ext2load command, but running strings on it doesn't find it.

Jawkins - do you have the u-boot binary you built from the Marvell
sources? does it have ext2 & eSATA support?

Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org
Jim Hawkins | 28 Nov 11:48 2010

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010, Stuart Winter wrote:

> Jawkins - do you have the u-boot binary you built from the Marvell
> sources? does it have ext2 & eSATA support?

I never actually got round to building it in the end, but looking at the
latest u-boot git repo, it looks like the GuruPlug should have ext2 and
SATA enabled by default.

Cheers,

Jim
Stuart Winter | 28 Nov 13:44 2010
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

> I never actually got round to building it in the end, but looking at the
> latest u-boot git repo, it looks like the GuruPlug should have ext2 and
> SATA enabled by default.

OK.

I've just looked at this:
http://oinkzwurgl.org/guruplug_uboot
and downloaded the binaries.  Running strings over u-boot.bin (from the
tar archive) shows it has ext2load: perhaps you want to try using this
u-boot binary for convenience?
Robby Workman | 28 Nov 16:43 2010
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 12:44:01 +0000 (GMT)
Stuart Winter <m-lists <at> biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

> I've just looked at this:
> http://oinkzwurgl.org/guruplug_uboot
> and downloaded the binaries.  Running strings over u-boot.bin (from
> the tar archive) shows it has ext2load: perhaps you want to try using
> this u-boot binary for convenience?

Well, it's *slow* loading the stuff this way (but maybe I'm
just used to pulling from the nand), and it worked the first
two times I booted, but now it just hangs after "booting the
kernel":

NAND:  512 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   egiga0, egiga1
88E1121 Initialized on egiga0
88E1121 Initialized on egiga1
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
(Re)start USB...
USB:   Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices... 5 USB Device(s) found
       scanning bus for storage devices... Device NOT ready
   Request Sense returned 02 3A 00
2 Storage Device(s) found
7819143 bytes read
2012420 bytes read
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.36-kirkwood
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    2012356 Bytes = 1.9 MiB
   Load Address: 00008000
   Entry Point:  00008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Image Name:   Slackware ARM Initial RAM disk f
   Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    7819079 Bytes = 7.5 MiB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

*** yep,that's it ***

Here's the environment info:

GuruPlug>> version

U-Boot 2010.09-02612-g27fb783-dirty (Nov 11 2010 - 22:51:37)
Marvell-GuruPlug (-: flipflip's version 20101111 :-)

GuruPlug>> printenv
arcNumber=2659
baudrate=115200
bootargs_console=console=ttyS0,115200
bootargs_root=root=/dev/sdb2 waitforroot=10 rootfs=ext4
bootcmd=setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console) $(bootargs_root); run
bootcmd_usb; run bootcmd_slack; bootcmd_slack=bootm 0x00800000
0x01100000 bootcmd_usb=usb start; ext2load usb 1:1 0x01100000
uinitrd-kirkwood; ext2load usb 1:1 0x00800000 uImage-kirkwood
bootdelay=3 eth1addr=02:50:43:eb:75:43
ethact=egiga0
ethaddr=00:50:43:01:5D:EA
filesize=1EB504
ipaddr=192.168.13.1
mainlineLinux=yes
serverip=192.168.13.11
stderr=serial
stdin=serial
stdout=serial

Environment size: 612/131068 bytes

-RW
John O'Donnell | 28 Nov 16:57 2010
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

You are booting from ext. It is HIDEOUSLY slow. I make a small FAT partition and boot from that on the guru usb.

** This message has been delivered via a Google Android **

On Nov 28, 2010 10:43 AM, "Robby Workman" <rw <at> rlworkman.net> wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 12:44:01 +0000 (GMT)
Stuart Winter <m-lists <at> biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

> I've just ...

Well, it's *slow* loading the stuff this way (but maybe I'm
just used to pulling from the nand), and it worked the first
two times I booted, but now it just hangs after "booting the
kernel":

NAND:  512 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   egiga0, egiga1
88E1121 Initialized on egiga0
88E1121 Initialized on egiga1

Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0

(Re)start USB...
USB:   Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices... 5 USB Device(s) found
      scanning bus for storage devices... Device NOT ready
  Request Sense returned 02 3A 00
2 Storage Device(s) found
7819143 bytes read
2012420 bytes read
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
  Image Name:   Linux-2.6.36-kirkwood
  Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
  Data Size:    2012356 Bytes = 1.9 MiB
  Load Address: 00008000
  Entry Point:  00008000
  Verifying Checksum ... OK
  Image Name:   Slackware ARM Initial RAM disk f
  Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
  Data Size:    7819079 Bytes = 7.5 MiB
  Load Address: 00000000
  Entry Point:  00000000
  Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

*** yep,that's it ***

Here's the environment info:

GuruPlug>> version

U-Boot 2010.09-02612-g27fb783-dirty (Nov 11 2010 - 22:51:37)
Marvell-GuruPlug (-: flipflip's version 20101111 :-)

GuruPlug>> printenv
arcNumber=2659
baudrate=115200
bootargs_console=console=ttyS0,115200
bootargs_root=root=/dev/sdb2 waitforroot=10 rootfs=ext4
bootcmd=setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console) $(bootargs_root); run
bootcmd_usb; run bootcmd_slack; bootcmd_slack=bootm 0x00800000
0x01100000 bootcmd_usb=usb start; ext2load usb 1:1 0x01100000
uinitrd-kirkwood; ext2load usb 1:1 0x00800000 uImage-kirkwood
bootdelay=3 eth1addr=02:50:43:eb:75:43
ethact=egiga0
ethaddr=00:50:43:01:5D:EA
filesize=1EB504
ipaddr=192.168.13.1
mainlineLinux=yes
serverip=192.168.13.11
stderr=serial
stdin=serial
stdout=serial

Environment size: 612/131068 bytes

-RW

Stuart Winter | 29 Nov 08:03 2010

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010, John O'Donnell wrote:

> You are booting from ext. It is HIDEOUSLY slow. I make a small FAT partition
> and boot from that on the guru usb.

This must be something to do with the Guruplug.  I boot from an ext2
partition on my sheevaplugs and openrd (which has an eSATA drive) and it
takes a couple of seconds to load both the kernel & initrd.
blair.hoddinott | 29 Nov 08:11 2010
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug ServerPlus

This was my experience with the sheevaplug as well.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010, John O'Donnell wrote:

> You are booting from ext. It is HIDEOUSLY slow. I make a small FAT partition
> and boot from that on the guru usb.

This must be something to do with the Guruplug.  I boot from an ext2
partition on my sheevaplugs and openrd (which has an eSATA drive) and it
takes a couple of seconds to load both the kernel & initrd.
Stuart Winter | 29 Nov 11:23 2010
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug ServerPlus

> This was my experience with the sheevaplug as well.

The SheevaPlug's USB was a bit flaky though, so I'm not *that* surprised;
but using the u-boot linked from the armedslack web site, my two boot
very quickly off USB, and the OpenRD is also fine.

I wouldn't recommend a FAT partition since installpkg won't be able to
create the symlinks for the kernel package -- but as long as you're aware
of this, you can fix it up manually.
Whatever works :)
blair.hoddinott | 29 Nov 15:57 2010
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug ServerPlus

Sorry,

I meant to say that my experience was it booting no problem from the sheevaplug.

Nothing but problems with the guruplug... I'm starting to think its a lost cause.

_B

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010, John O'Donnell wrote:

> You are booting from ext. It is HIDEOUSLY slow. I make a small FAT partition
> and boot from that on the guru usb.

This must be something to do with the Guruplug.  I boot from an ext2
partition on my sheevaplugs and openrd (which has an eSATA drive) and it
takes a couple of seconds to load both the kernel & initrd.
Jim Hawkins | 7 Dec 11:53 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Stuart Winter wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010, John O'Donnell wrote:
>
> > You are booting from ext. It is HIDEOUSLY slow. I make a small FAT partition
> > and boot from that on the guru usb.
>
> This must be something to do with the Guruplug.  I boot from an ext2
> partition on my sheevaplugs and openrd (which has an eSATA drive) and it
> takes a couple of seconds to load both the kernel & initrd.

There seems to be something wrong with SATA in the latest u-boot. As
others have reported, I couldn't get it to detect the eSATA drive on my
guruplug. If I revert the last commit to the Marvell ATA stuff it seems
happier, although it sometimes fails to detect the drive and when it does,
it shows the drive twice as two devices. I've just booted my kernel from
an ext2 formatted partition on an eSATA drive on my guruplug. It's not
slow.

When I've got some time I'll look into making it work more reliably.

Cheers,

Jim
Stuart Winter | 6 Jan 15:21 2011
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

> When I've got some time I'll look into making it work more reliably.

Have you looked into it yet ? :-)
Jim Hawkins | 6 Jan 15:55 2011

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Stuart Winter wrote:

> > When I've got some time I'll look into making it work more reliably.
>
> Have you looked into it yet ? :-)

I did have a look actually, but I think I've run into an initialisation
issue. It works intermittently - if you run up a kernel, halt and then
reset via JTAG, it will detect the drive, but fail when trying to access
it. If you reset the plug after that happens the drive then becomes
accessible to u-boot.

I'll look into it some more at some point.

Cheers,

Jim
Stuart Winter | 6 Jan 16:12 2011
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

> I did have a look actually, but I think I've run into an initialisation
> issue. It works intermittently - if you run up a kernel, halt and then
> reset via JTAG, it will detect the drive, but fail when trying to access
> it. If you reset the plug after that happens the drive then becomes
> accessible to u-boot.

Is the symptom that when u-boot tries to find the drive, it stops with a
"T" and won't go further?  I see this on one of my sheevaplugs and afaict
it's because the drive spun down.  This is why I have a "reset" at the end
of the boot command -- if the timeout happens, the plug reboots, the drive
is still spinning and the boot works.
This happens every time I complete a reinstallation of the plug (I assume
because the spin down delay is just short enough that by the time the
installer has shut itself down, and the system's rebooted, the drive has
spun down).
Jim Hawkins | 6 Jan 18:00 2011

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Stuart Winter wrote:

> > I did have a look actually, but I think I've run into an
> > initialisation issue. It works intermittently - if you run up a
> > kernel, halt and then reset via JTAG, it will detect the drive, but
> > fail when trying to access it. If you reset the plug after that
> > happens the drive then becomes accessible to u-boot.
>
> Is the symptom that when u-boot tries to find the drive, it stops with a
> "T" and won't go further?

It reads the drive info the first time you try, but fails after that:

Marvell>> ide reset

Reset IDE: Bus 0: OK Bus 1: OK
  Device 0: Model: SAMSUNG HD204UI  Firm: 1AQ10001 Ser#: xxxx
            Type: Hard Disk
            Supports 48-bit addressing
            Capacity: 1907729.0 MB = 1863.0 GB (-387938128 x 512)
Error (no IRQ) dev 0 blk 16: status 0xd0
IDE read: device 0 not ready
  Device 1: not available
Marvell>> ide reset

Reset IDE: Bus 0: ............................................................** Timeout **
not available  Bus 1: ............................................................** Timeout **
not available
Marvell>>

> I see this on one of my sheevaplugs and afaict it's because the drive
> spun down.  This is why I have a "reset" at the end of the boot command
> -- if the timeout happens, the plug reboots, the drive is still spinning
> and the boot works.

Yeah, sounds like it's because the drive has spun down. It's fine if you
reboot from Linux without halting, which I assume doesn't cause a drive
spin down.

> This happens every time I complete a reinstallation of the plug (I
> assume because the spin down delay is just short enough that by the time
> the installer has shut itself down, and the system's rebooted, the drive
> has spun down).

Well you could have mentioned that before, couldn't you ;)

Cheers,

Jim
Stuart Winter | 6 Jan 18:18 2011
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

> Yeah, sounds like it's because the drive has spun down. It's fine if you
> reboot from Linux without halting, which I assume doesn't cause a drive
> spin down.

I just tried rebooting one of the SPs and the drive times out and u-boot
reboots, then it works.

> > the installer has shut itself down, and the system's rebooted, the drive
> > has spun down).
>
> Well you could have mentioned that before, couldn't you ;)

The boot command in the docs has "reset" as the last command, but you
never read my docs do you ;-)

Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org
Jim Hawkins | 6 Jan 23:40 2011

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Stuart Winter wrote:

> I just tried rebooting one of the SPs and the drive times out and u-boot
> reboots, then it works.

The spin-up timeout in u-boot is set to 5 seconds, which seems a bit low -
the specs for my drive say the typical drive ready time is 13s. I've
increased the timeout to 30s and now it seems to work reliably.

> The boot command in the docs has "reset" as the last command, but you
> never read my docs do you ;-)

Nope :)

Cheers,

Jim
Stuart Winter | 7 Jan 08:41 2011
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

> The spin-up timeout in u-boot is set to 5 seconds, which seems a bit low -
> the specs for my drive say the typical drive ready time is 13s. I've
> increased the timeout to 30s and now it seems to work reliably.

If this works well can you upload the .bin to bourbon please and I'll
distribute that instead of the one we have atm.
Yours does have te ext2 support?

Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org
Jim Hawkins | 7 Jan 14:27 2011

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011, Stuart Winter wrote:

> > The spin-up timeout in u-boot is set to 5 seconds, which seems a bit
> > low - the specs for my drive say the typical drive ready time is 13s.
> > I've increased the timeout to 30s and now it seems to work reliably.
>
> If this works well can you upload the .bin to bourbon please and I'll
> distribute that instead of the one we have atm.

Why not compile your own u-boot binaries? I need to tidy up my changes,
but I can give you my patches.

> Yours does have te ext2 support?

Yes. I'm booting my kernel from an ext2 formatted partition on an eSATA
disk.

Cheers,

Jim
Stuart Winter | 7 Jan 14:39 2011
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

> > If this works well can you upload the .bin to bourbon please and I'll
> > distribute that instead of the one we have atm.
>
> Why not compile your own u-boot binaries? I need to tidy up my changes,
> but I can give you my patches.

Because I don't have a guruplug to test it on, so I may as well take a
pre-built binary that is known good.

 git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-marvell.git
 make guruplug

Is this the same tree you used?

I'll take your patches and build against that then, but someone else will
have to test it since I don't have a guruplug.

Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org
Jim Hawkins | 7 Jan 16:36 2011

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011, Stuart Winter wrote:

> > > If this works well can you upload the .bin to bourbon please and
> > > I'll distribute that instead of the one we have atm.
> >
> > Why not compile your own u-boot binaries? I need to tidy up my
> > changes, but I can give you my patches.
>
> Because I don't have a guruplug to test it on, so I may as well take a
> pre-built binary that is known good.

You can test stuff on mine if you like.

>  git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-marvell.git
>  make guruplug
>
> Is this the same tree you used?

I'm just using the master repo at git.denx.de/u-boot.git

Cheers,

Jim
blair.hoddinott | 7 Jan 17:17 2011
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug ServerPlus

I can test it out on my guruplugs

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011, Stuart Winter wrote:

> > > If this works well can you upload the .bin to bourbon please and
> > > I'll distribute that instead of the one we have atm.
> >
> > Why not compile your own u-boot binaries? I need to tidy up my
> > changes, but I can give you my patches.
>
> Because I don't have a guruplug to test it on, so I may as well take a
> pre-built binary that is known good.

You can test stuff on mine if you like.

>  git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-marvell.git
>  make guruplug
>
> Is this the same tree you used?

I'm just using the master repo at git.denx.de/u-boot.git

Cheers,

Jim
Stuart Winter | 7 Jan 17:49 2011
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

> > Because I don't have a guruplug to test it on, so I may as well take a
> > pre-built binary that is known good.
>
> You can test stuff on mine if you like.

OK send me the details!

> >  git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-marvell.git
> >  make guruplug
> >
> > Is this the same tree you used?
>
> I'm just using the master repo at git.denx.de/u-boot.git

OK can you put your patches onto bourbon when they're ready
please.
Blair Hoddinott | 11 Jan 22:55 2011
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

Has anyone confirmed this resolves the problem with the eSATA booting? I'm about to give it a shot.

_B

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Stuart Winter <m-lists <at> biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

> > Because I don't have a guruplug to test it on, so I may as well take a
> > pre-built binary that is known good.
>
> You can test stuff on mine if you like.

OK send me the details!

> >  git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-marvell.git
> >  make guruplug
> >
> > Is this the same tree you used?
>
> I'm just using the master repo at git.denx.de/u-boot.git

OK can you put your patches onto bourbon when they're ready
please.
Blair Hoddinott | 12 Jan 00:58 2011
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

Ah, the U-Boot hasn't been updated on the website yet, my mistake.

Has anyone confirmed this resolves the problem with the eSATA booting? I'm about to give it a shot.

_B

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Stuart Winter <m-lists <at> biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

> > Because I don't have a guruplug to test it on, so I may as well take a
> > pre-built binary that is known good.
>
> You can test stuff on mine if you like.

OK send me the details!

> >  git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-marvell.git
> >  make guruplug
> >
> > Is this the same tree you used?
>
> I'm just using the master repo at git.denx.de/u-boot.git

OK can you put your patches onto bourbon when they're ready
please.
blair.hoddinott | 6 Jan 18:01 2011
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug ServerPlus

Not for me, its just a straight no boot device error. :(

> I did have a look actually, but I think I've run into an initialisation
> issue. It works intermittently - if you run up a kernel, halt and then
> reset via JTAG, it will detect the drive, but fail when trying to access
> it. If you reset the plug after that happens the drive then becomes
> accessible to u-boot.

Is the symptom that when u-boot tries to find the drive, it stops with a
"T" and won't go further?  I see this on one of my sheevaplugs and afaict
it's because the drive spun down.  This is why I have a "reset" at the end
of the boot command -- if the timeout happens, the plug reboots, the drive
is still spinning and the boot works.
This happens every time I complete a reinstallation of the plug (I assume
because the spin down delay is just short enough that by the time the
installer has shut itself down, and the system's rebooted, the drive has
spun down).

Brian Kelley | 28 Nov 17:15 2010
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

has anybody tried using Qi  instead of uboot?
> [...]

   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

*** yep,that's it ***

Here's the environment info:

GuruPlug>> version

U-Boot 2010.09-02612-g27fb783-dirty (Nov 11 2010 - 22:51:37)
Marvell-GuruPlug (-: flipflip's version 20101111 :-)

GuruPlug>> printenv
arcNumber=2659
baudrate=115200
bootargs_console=console=ttyS0,115200
bootargs_root=root=/dev/sdb2 waitforroot=10 rootfs=ext4
bootcmd=setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console) $(bootargs_root); run
bootcmd_usb; run bootcmd_slack; bootcmd_slack=bootm 0x00800000
0x01100000 bootcmd_usb=usb start; ext2load usb 1:1 0x01100000
uinitrd-kirkwood; ext2load usb 1:1 0x00800000 uImage-kirkwood

blair.hoddinott | 28 Nov 20:18 2010
Picon

Re: Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug ServerPlus

Yeah, I've tried that uboot (in my OP), but still no joy. It comes up with bad block device. This makes me think
it doesn't see the esata.

Before, using that uboot to my usb drive, results in the hang at uncompressing linux which Ron is experiencing.

_B