Giovanni | 20 Jan 20:56 2011
Picon

Slackware on Pandaboard

Is it possible to install Slackware ARM on Pandaboard?

http://pandaboard.org

If so, how? Do you have any instructions or suggestions?

Best regards
giovanni

Andrzej Telszewski | 21 Jan 00:58 2011
Picon

Re: Slackware on Pandaboard

> Is it possible to install Slackware ARM on Pandaboard?
>
> http://pandaboard.org
>
> If so, how? Do you have any instructions or suggestions?

First of all, you have to check if your processor is supported by Linux
kernel. Then try to compile the kernel for your CPU and try to boot it.
I see there is SD/MMC slot, so maybe it is possible to install OS there.

Pozdrawiam,
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski
Stuart Winter | 21 Jan 09:40 2011
Picon

Re: Slackware on Pandaboard

> First of all, you have to check if your processor is supported by Linux
> kernel. Then try to compile the kernel for your CPU and try to boot it. I see
> there is SD/MMC slot, so maybe it is possible to install OS there.

first thing: if you have such a device already in your posession:
 - download the miniroot fs for armedslack-current
 - chroot into it

Does it work?  If not then it's either:
 - because their kernel is older than linux 2.6.31
 - or the userland of armedslack just doesn't work on that board (which
would be sad, but possible).

Ubuntu is on it already, so there's Kernel support for it -- the easiest
thing I would do is to take the latest 2.6.37 or 2.6.38rc1 and check
if the OMAP Panda Support is in the kernel - take which ever one has it
(if it's there -- if not, find the patches and apply them to the
appropriate kernel -- ensuring that it's at least linux 2.6.31).

Compile the kernel: easiest thing first is to build a monolithic kernel
with all of the bits your device will need.  It's easier to bootstrap this
way than to faff around with an initrd.

Find out how to configure the boot loader to boot your own kernel.
Ideally if it can tftp load then setup a tftp server and boot the kernel
from there.
Some of the Slackware ARM installation docs explain how to do this.

Once you've got that far you can then boot into a miniroot and see how far
you get.
This board looks interesting.  If they sell it with a case, I'd be tempted
to get one.
Giovanni | 6 Feb 21:56 2011
Picon

Re: Slackware on Pandaboard

Today I did the following test on my pandaboard;

- download the miniroot fs for armedslack-13.1
- chroot into it

The result was successful. I tried to install a package (python), using wget and then installpkg. Python was installed and worked in the chroot-ed Slackware.

I think that this means that Slackware ARM is compatible with the pandaboard.

Now I would like to install a full Slackware ARM on the pandaboard.

In order to boot, the pandaboard needs the following files in a FAT32 partition on an SD card:
- MLO
- u-boot.bin
- uImage

I used the files provided by Angstrom distro. My idea is to continue to use those 3 files for booting and then install a full Slackware by NFS or USB external hard disk.

Note: the pandaboard can boot only from a SD card.

My problem now is where to find the Slackware installer (setup) program to launch, after booting Angstrom kernel.

I am not expert about playing with boot and installer yet.

Can you please give me any instructions?

Best regards,
giovanni

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Stuart Winter <m-lists <at> biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

> First of all, you have to check if your processor is supported by Linux
> kernel. Then try to compile the kernel for your CPU and try to boot it. I see
> there is SD/MMC slot, so maybe it is possible to install OS there.

first thing: if you have such a device already in your posession:
 - download the miniroot fs for armedslack-current
 - chroot into it

Does it work?  If not then it's either:
 - because their kernel is older than linux 2.6.31
 - or the userland of armedslack just doesn't work on that board (which
would be sad, but possible).

Ubuntu is on it already, so there's Kernel support for it -- the easiest
thing I would do is to take the latest 2.6.37 or 2.6.38rc1 and check
if the OMAP Panda Support is in the kernel - take which ever one has it
(if it's there -- if not, find the patches and apply them to the
appropriate kernel -- ensuring that it's at least linux 2.6.31).

Compile the kernel: easiest thing first is to build a monolithic kernel
with all of the bits your device will need.  It's easier to bootstrap this
way than to faff around with an initrd.

Find out how to configure the boot loader to boot your own kernel.
Ideally if it can tftp load then setup a tftp server and boot the kernel
from there.
Some of the Slackware ARM installation docs explain how to do this.

Once you've got that far you can then boot into a miniroot and see how far
you get.
This board looks interesting.  If they sell it with a case, I'd be tempted
to get one.

Stuart Winter | 6 Feb 22:42 2011
Picon

Re: Slackware on Pandaboard

> Note: the pandaboard can boot only from a SD card.

Hmm.  That's a bit yuck.  Perhaps a future boot loader version will
increase the choices.

> My problem now is where to find the Slackware installer (setup) program to
> launch, after booting Angstrom kernel.
>
> I am not expert about playing with boot and installer yet.
>
> Can you please give me any instructions?

Well, that's great news!  I'd like to get a Pandaboard if I can get one in
an enclosure (I'm not a fan of naked boards).

The easiest thing to do is modify the installer script I use that
creates the "kirkwood" installer.

First of all ensure you have a full armedslack-current tree downloaded
(without sources should be fine).

Download this:
http://stash.armedslack.org/scripts/mk-kirkwood.sh

At the top of the script, put
PKGSTORE=/pathto/armedslack-current/

Change SLKARCH to "pandaboard" or whatever you want.

What this script does is to unpack the "Versatile" installer image,
make a list of all the modules it has;
wipe the modules;
unpack the "kirkwood" kernel modules package and using the list of
versatile modules, copy the same named kirkwood modules.
Add a few more kirkwood specific modules;
Package up as an initrd ready to be booted from u-Boot.

So, what you'll need is a collection of the angstrom kernel modules.
Since you've got quite far already, you'll probably be able to figure it
out reasonably easy.

If you have any questions, let me know!
I'm excited to see if you can get dual CPU support working there.
I was reading that you might need to set the max amount of RAM to 768MB
or something like that, otherwise you get segfaults.
Carlo Caione | 7 Feb 10:18 2011
Picon

Re: Slackware on Pandaboard

On 06/02/2011 21:56, Giovanni wrote:

> I used the files provided by Angstrom distro. My idea is to continue to
> use those 3 files for booting and then install a full Slackware by NFS
> or USB external hard disk.

Wouldn't it be easier to just copy the minirootfs on the sd card and
update packages via NFS using the packages provided with ARMedslack?
It worked for me on beagleboard.

BTW I'll release the ARMedslack for beagleboard xM as soon as I have
enough time to create a suitable sd image. I'll let you know.

--
Carlo Caione
Giovanni | 7 Feb 10:39 2011

Re: Slackware on Pandaboard

Do you mean the following procedure?

  • boot with angstrom
  • copy the slack arm minirootfs on the sd card
  • chroot on the minirootfs
  • connect to the host via NFS
  • install all the packages from the NFS exported ARMedslack tree
Is this what you meant?

What about the kernel and modules?

Best regards,
giovanni

I used the files provided by Angstrom distro. My idea is to continue to
use those 3 files for booting and then install a full Slackware by NFS
or USB external hard disk.

Wouldn't it be easier to just copy the minirootfs on the sd card and update packages via NFS using the packages provided with ARMedslack?
It worked for me on beagleboard.

BTW I'll release the ARMedslack for beagleboard xM as soon as I have enough time to create a suitable sd image. I'll let you know.

--
Carlo Caione

Carlo Caione | 7 Feb 17:41 2011
Picon

Re: Slackware on Pandaboard

On 07/02/2011 10:39, Giovanni wrote:
> Do you mean the following procedure?
>
>     * boot with angstrom
>     * copy the slack arm minirootfs on the sd card
>     * chroot on the minirootfs
>     * connect to the host via NFS
>     * install all the packages from the NFS exported ARMedslack tree

Well, this is what I did:

* sd with 2 partitions, one for bootloaders and zImage and the other one
for minirootfs.
* copy xloader, uboot and zImage on the first partition
* copy minirootfs on the second partition with crosscompilated modules
in the usual path (/lib/modules/...) (you have to crosscompile kernel
and modules on a host machine)
* boot in ARMedslack
* install all the others packages via NFS

This worked for me.

PS: the standard minirootfs requires some changes:
ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/armedslack/armedslack-devtools/minirootfs/README.txt

--
Carlo Caione
Giovanni | 7 Feb 21:31 2011

Re: Slackware on Pandaboard

What toolchain did you use for cross-compiling the kernel and modules?

I have to start from the beginning with cross-compilation. So I accept advices from the people with more experience,

Best regards,
giovanni

   * copy the slack arm minirootfs on the sd card
   * chroot on the minirootfs
   * connect to the host via NFS
   * install all the packages from the NFS exported ARMedslack tree

Well, this is what I did:

* sd with 2 partitions, one for bootloaders and zImage and the other one for minirootfs.
* copy xloader, uboot and zImage on the first partition
* copy minirootfs on the second partition with crosscompilated modules in the usual path (/lib/modules/...) (you have to crosscompile kernel and modules on a host machine)
* boot in ARMedslack
* install all the others packages via NFS

This worked for me.

PS: the standard minirootfs requires some changes: ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/armedslack/armedslack-devtools/minirootfs/README.txt

--
Carlo Caione
Carlo Caione | 7 Feb 21:48 2011
Picon

Re: Slackware on Pandaboard

On Feb 7, 2011, at 9:31 PM, Giovanni wrote:

> What toolchain did you use for cross-compiling the kernel and modules?
>
> I have to start from the beginning with cross-compilation. So I accept advices from the people with more experience,

I used crosstool-ng[1]

[1] http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/projects/crosstool

--
Carlo Caione
Giovanni | 13 Feb 13:12 2011

Re: Slackware on Pandaboard

I did not tried yet, but it seems possible now to boot from USB on pandaboard:

http://pandaboard.org/content/usb-downloader-and-usb-second-stage-bootloader-omap4

Best regards,
giovanni

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Carlo Caione <carlo.caione <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2011, at 9:31 PM, Giovanni wrote:
>
>> What toolchain did you use for cross-compiling the kernel and modules?
>>
>> I have to start from the beginning with cross-compilation. So I accept advices from the people with more experience,
>
> I used crosstool-ng[1]
>
> [1] http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/projects/crosstool
>
> --
> Carlo Caione

Giovanni | 13 Feb 18:04 2011
Picon

Re: Slackware on Pandaboard

I succeeded to install full Slackware ARM on the pandaboard.

I did the following:

* sd with 2 partitions, one (vfat) for bootloaders (MLO, u-boot.bin) and uImage and the other one (ext2) for minirootfs
* copy xloader (MLO), uboot and uImage from Angstrom distro on the first partition
* copy Slackware ARM minirootfs on the second partition with Angstrom modules in the usual path (/lib/modules/...)
* boot in ARMedslack
* install all the others packages via NFS

I had to make some changes to configuration files as indicated here:
http://giovanni.wordpress.com/pandaboard/

The next step is to build a kernel and modules for omap4 by myself and use them instead of the Angstrom ones.

One question: is there any kind of package manager, such as slap-get, sbopkg, etc. for Slackware ARM? If not, can I use the SlackBuilds from slackbuilds.org? How to modify them?

Best regards,
giovanni

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Giovanni <pino.otto <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> I did not tried yet, but it seems possible now to boot from USB on pandaboard:
>
> http://pandaboard.org/content/usb-downloader-and-usb-second-stage-bootloader-omap4
>
> Best regards,
> giovanni
>

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Carlo Caione <carlo.caione <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 7, 2011, at 9:31 PM, Giovanni wrote:
>>
>>> What toolchain did you use for cross-compiling the kernel and modules?
>>>
>>> I have to start from the beginning with cross-compilation. So I accept advices from the people with more experience,
>>
>> I used crosstool-ng[1]
>>
>> [1] http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/projects/crosstool
>>
>> --
>> Carlo Caione

Giovanni | 14 Feb 11:46 2011
Picon

Re: Slackware on Pandaboard

Here is the project on the Pandaboard website:

http://pandaboard.org/content/slackware-pandaboard

I also found that sbopkg works fine on Slackware ARM.

Best regards,
giovanni

I succeeded to install full Slackware ARM on the pandaboard.

I did the following:
* sd with 2 partitions, one (vfat) for bootloaders (MLO, u-boot.bin) and uImage and the other one (ext2) for minirootfs
* copy xloader (MLO), uboot and uImage from Angstrom distro on the first partition
* copy Slackware ARM minirootfs on the second partition with Angstrom modules in the usual path (/lib/modules/...)

* boot in ARMedslack
* install all the others packages via NFS

I had to make some changes to configuration files as indicated here:
http://giovanni.wordpress.com/pandaboard/

The next step is to build a kernel and modules for omap4 by myself and use them instead of the Angstrom ones.

One question: is there any kind of package manager, such as slap-get, sbopkg, etc. for Slackware ARM? If not, can I use the SlackBuilds from slackbuilds.org? How to modify them?

Best regards,
giovanni

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Giovanni <pino.otto <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> I did not tried yet, but it seems possible now to boot from USB on pandaboard:
>
> http://pandaboard.org/content/usb-downloader-and-usb-second-stage-bootloader-omap4
>
> Best regards,
> giovanni
>

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Carlo Caione <carlo.caione <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 7, 2011, at 9:31 PM, Giovanni wrote:
>>
>>> What toolchain did you use for cross-compiling the kernel and modules?
>>>
>>> I have to start from the beginning with cross-compilation. So I accept advices from the people with more experience,
>>
>> I used crosstool-ng[1]
>>
>> [1] http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/projects/crosstool
>>
>> --
>> Carlo Caione

Stuart Winter | 14 Feb 11:50 2011
Picon

Re: Slackware on Pandaboard

> One question: is there any kind of package manager, such as slap-get,
> sbopkg, etc. for Slackware ARM? If not, can I use the SlackBuilds from
> slackbuilds.org? How to modify them?

All of the package managers included with Slackware x86 are included in
the ARM port.

You shouldn't need to modify the slackbuilds.org scripts -- many of them
already have some script to detect and set the ARM architecture; but if
they don't then you will need to edit them to put
ARCH=arm

You can leave the CFLAGS as default -- usually -O2 will do.
Giovanni | 14 Feb 11:55 2011
Picon

Re: Slackware on Pandaboard

OK, thanks Stuart.

I realized that and already built and installed some package with sbopkg, without changing anything.

That is great!

Best regards,
giovanni