Thorsten Mühlfelder | 7 Apr 17:46 2011
Picon
Picon

Kernel kirkwood-2.6.38.2: CONFIG_N_HDLC

Hi,
is there any special reason why CONFIG_N_HDLC  is disabled? In x86 it's build 
as a module.
The only reason I'm asking is because the rp-pppoe documentation says:
"Synchronous PPP is safe on Linux machines with the n_hdlc line discipline.  
(If you have a file called "n_hdlc.o" in your  modules directory, you have 
the line discipline.)"
It also says that synchronous mode "is much easier on CPU usage" than 
asynchronous mode. So I've thought it's worth a try.

Location:                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
 -> Device Drivers                                                                                                                                                                                                                
   -> Character devices                                                                                                                                                                                                           
     -> Non-standard serial port support (SERIAL_NONSTANDARD [=y])

--

-- 
Thorsten Mühlfelder
Salix OS: www.salixos.org
Stuart Winter | 7 Apr 20:39 2011
Picon

Re: Kernel kirkwood-2.6.38.2: CONFIG_N_HDLC


> is there any special reason why CONFIG_N_HDLC  is disabled?

No.

>In x86 it's build  as a module.

The x86 configs don't have any bearing on ARM, apart from in cases where
it alters the behaviour of something in user space, as you've identified.

I'll add the kernel option before the 13.37 release - either as a kernel
rebuild, or a kernel update - which ever comes first.
Thorsten Mühlfelder | 9 Apr 15:33 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: Kernel kirkwood-2.6.38.2: CONFIG_N_HDLC

Am Thu, 7 Apr 2011 19:39:16 +0100 (BST)
schrieb Stuart Winter <m-lists <at> biscuit.org.uk>:

> I'll add the kernel option before the 13.37 release - either as a
> kernel rebuild, or a kernel update - which ever comes first.

Thanks!
Just noticed: pppoe uses about 11 % CPU with downstram fully loaded (16
MBit/s).

--

-- 
Thorsten Mühlfelder
Salix OS: www.salixos.org
Stuart Winter | 13 Apr 19:16 2011
Picon

Re: Kernel kirkwood-2.6.38.2: CONFIG_N_HDLC


> > I'll add the kernel option before the 13.37 release - either as a
> > kernel rebuild, or a kernel update - which ever comes first.
>
> Thanks!
> Just noticed: pppoe uses about 11 % CPU with downstram fully loaded (16
> MBit/s).

I've compiled this and all of the other nonstandard serial thingies as
modules (although some of them really aren't necessary since some of them
are for terminal servers, but I'm not too fussed about the modules as long
as having them doesn't break anything!).

--

-- 
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org
Davide | 19 Apr 12:42 2011
Picon

jeff Doozan's uboot

This probably happens to all uboot versions but I've not had time to check.

It's not strictly armedslack but the community might want to know anyway .... and someone might like to
answer privately the question (avoiding filth in the list).

I just setuo Jeff's uboot on my dockstar and it boots ok both from yhe onboard flash and from a usb flash drive.
I setup a 2.5" usb HDU with a development environment, so that I could benefit from the better performing HDU
to do some compiling, exactly like the usb flash drive.
When I try to boot from it the uboot "usb start" actually turns off the usb HDU while scanning.

The usb hdu I'm using has been tested to work properly with just the 500mA from a single usb port bothe from PC
or from dockstar once Linux is up and running.

Is there something I need to do in order to boot from a usb HDU that differs from booting from a usb flash drive ?

Regards
David
Thorsten Mühlfelder | 19 Apr 12:48 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: jeff Doozan's uboot

Am Tuesday 19 April 2011 12:42:02 schrieb Davide:
> Is there something I need to do in order to boot from a usb HDU that
> differs from booting from a usb flash drive ?

My Dockstar boots fine with Doozan's u-boot and the original Seagate Freeagent 
Go HD.

--

-- 
Thorsten Mühlfelder
Salix OS: www.salixos.org
Davide | 19 Apr 14:14 2011
Picon

Re: jeff Doozan's uboot

Well yeah .... I've an update on this:
I did nothing but change the usb port from closest to RJ45 to the one nets to the closest to RJ45.
This time it boots.

I'll investigate further on this ...

This is on a brand new dockstar (I've now 2 of these things) but the seem to have small hardware differences
... read on

Also Another thing I noticed: the led stopped working and things do not look rigth in /sys

root <at> slackware:~# ls /sys/class/leds/
plug:green:health <at> 
root <at> slackware:~#

Where's the orange led gone ?
and why os the green one not light up?

root <at> slackware:~# cat /sys/class/leds/plug\:green\:health/trigger
none nand-disk timer [default-on] mmc0
root <at> slackware:~#

Regards
David

--- Mar 19/4/11, Thorsten Mühlfelder <thenktor <at> gmx.de> ha scritto:

> Da: Thorsten Mühlfelder <thenktor <at> gmx.de>
> Oggetto: Re: [ARMedslack] jeff Doozan's uboot
> A: "Slackware ARM port" <armedslack <at> lists.armedslack.org>
(Continue reading)

Thorsten Mühlfelder | 19 Apr 14:40 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: jeff Doozan's uboot

Am Tuesday 19 April 2011 14:14:17 schrieb Davide:
> Well yeah .... I've an update on this:
> I did nothing but change the usb port from closest to RJ45 to the one nets
> to the closest to RJ45. This time it boots.
>
> I'll investigate further on this ...

AFAIK the dockstar has native USB ports and some ports provided by an 
additional hub. Maybe this makes a difference.

> This is on a brand new dockstar (I've now 2 of these things) but the seem
> to have small hardware differences ... read on
>
> Also Another thing I noticed: the led stopped working and things do not
> look rigth in /sys

Do cat /proc/cpuinfo. Do you have "Hardware: Seagate FreeAgent DockStar"? If 
not the "arcNumber" that gives u-boot to the kernel is wrong. IIRC arcNumber 
2998 is the right one for the Dockstar. 2097 is Sheevaplug. Please search for 
it in Doozans forum.
The arcNumber sets some board specific details like LED setup.

--

-- 
Thorsten Mühlfelder
Salix OS: www.salixos.org
Davide | 19 Apr 15:06 2011
Picon

Re: jeff Doozan's uboot

> > Well yeah .... I've an update on this:
> > I did nothing but change the usb port from closest to
> RJ45 to the one nets
> > to the closest to RJ45. This time it boots.
> >
> > I'll investigate further on this ...
> 
> AFAIK the dockstar has native USB ports and some ports
> provided by an 
> additional hub. Maybe this makes a difference.

As far as I know kirkwood has 1 usb port that is connected to an onboard 4 port hub ... so all external usb ports
should be exactly the same.

Anyway I've tracked the problem to be specific to the usb2sata adapter inside my lace usb HDU ... see an
earlier mail I just sent.

> 
> > This is on a brand new dockstar (I've now 2 of these
> things) but the seem
> > to have small hardware differences ... read on
> >
> > Also Another thing I noticed: the led stopped working
> and things do not
> > look rigth in /sys
> 
> Do cat /proc/cpuinfo. Do you have "Hardware: Seagate
> FreeAgent DockStar"? If 
> not the "arcNumber" that gives u-boot to the kernel is
> wrong. IIRC arcNumber 
(Continue reading)

Davide | 19 Apr 15:18 2011
Picon

jeff Doozan's uboot

The last cpuinfo i sent was produced by pogoplug system ... from slackware it looks different but still is
not what one would expect from a dockstar:
root <at> slackware:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : Feroceon 88FR131 rev 1 (v5l)
BogoMIPS        : 1192.75
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x56
CPU architecture: 5TE
CPU variant     : 0x2
CPU part        : 0x131
CPU revision    : 1

Hardware        : Marvell SheevaPlug Reference Board
Revision        : 0000 
Serial          : 0000000000000000
root <at> slackware:~#

The board actually looks the same as my other dockstar ... I guess it's just a different SOC that make sthe difference.

Regards
David
Thorsten Mühlfelder | 19 Apr 15:32 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: jeff Doozan's uboot

Am Tuesday 19 April 2011 15:18:26 schrieb Davide:
> The last cpuinfo i sent was produced by pogoplug system ... from slackware
> it looks different but still is not what one would expect from a dockstar:
> root <at> slackware:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
> Processor       : Feroceon 88FR131 rev 1 (v5l)
> BogoMIPS        : 1192.75
> Features        : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
> CPU implementer : 0x56
> CPU architecture: 5TE
> CPU variant     : 0x2
> CPU part        : 0x131
> CPU revision    : 1
>
> Hardware        : Marvell SheevaPlug Reference Board
> Revision        : 0000
> Serial          : 0000000000000000
> root <at> slackware:~#
>
> The board actually looks the same as my other dockstar ... I guess it's
> just a different SOC that make sthe difference.

As I've said: you are using a wrong "arcNumber". Doozan's u-boot is patched so 
that the arcNumber can be set as u-boot environment variable.
Basically arcNumber is just some term used by Doozan. In the Linux kernel it 
is called machine type. Have a look 
at /usr/src/linux/include/generated/mach-types.h for a complete list. There 
you'll find:
#define MACH_TYPE_DOCKSTAR             2998
#define MACH_TYPE_SHEEVAPLUG         2097
If you want your kernel to recognize the dockstar you have to use 2998 as 
(Continue reading)

Davide | 19 Apr 16:25 2011
Picon

jeff Doozan's uboot


--- Mar 19/4/11, Thorsten Mühlfelder <thenktor <at> gmx.de> ha scritto:

> Da: Thorsten Mühlfelder <thenktor <at> gmx.de>
> Oggetto: Re: [ARMedslack] jeff Doozan's uboot
> A: "Slackware ARM port" <armedslack <at> lists.armedslack.org>
> Data: Martedì 19 Aprile 2011, 15:32
> Am Tuesday 19 April 2011 15:18:26
> schrieb Davide:
> > The last cpuinfo i sent was produced by pogoplug
> system ... from slackware
> > it looks different but still is not what one would
> expect from a dockstar:
> > root <at> slackware:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > Processor       : Feroceon
> 88FR131 rev 1 (v5l)
> > BogoMIPS        : 1192.75
> > Features        : swp half thumb
> fastmult edsp
> > CPU implementer : 0x56
> > CPU architecture: 5TE
> > CPU variant     : 0x2
> > CPU part        : 0x131
> > CPU revision    : 1
> >
> > Hardware        : Marvell
> SheevaPlug Reference Board
> > Revision        : 0000
> > Serial          :
> 0000000000000000
(Continue reading)

Davide | 19 Apr 16:40 2011
Picon

jeff Doozan's uboot

Oooops .... need to do a hardware reset o reboot for uboot to do the magic.
Just setting the variable, saving it permanently and booting is not enough.
Perhaps uboot uses that variable to do some initialization before you get the prompt.

Sorry for making so much noise.

Regards
David 

--- Mar 19/4/11, Davide <louigi600 <at> yahoo.it> ha scritto:

> Da: Davide <louigi600 <at> yahoo.it>
> Oggetto: [ARMedslack] jeff Doozan's uboot
> A: "Slackware ARM port" <armedslack <at> lists.armedslack.org>
> Data: Martedì 19 Aprile 2011, 16:25
> 
> 
> --- Mar 19/4/11, Thorsten Mühlfelder <thenktor <at> gmx.de>
> ha scritto:
> 
> > Da: Thorsten Mühlfelder <thenktor <at> gmx.de>
> > Oggetto: Re: [ARMedslack] jeff Doozan's uboot
> > A: "Slackware ARM port" <armedslack <at> lists.armedslack.org>
> > Data: Martedì 19 Aprile 2011, 15:32
> > Am Tuesday 19 April 2011 15:18:26
> > schrieb Davide:
> > > The last cpuinfo i sent was produced by pogoplug
> > system ... from slackware
> > > it looks different but still is not what one
> would
(Continue reading)

richard.lapointe | 19 Apr 18:37 2011
Picon

Re: jeff Doozan's uboot

Yeah, I got fooled by this.  Would had replied but you had it solve before I finished reading the thread.
BTW, I have three Dockstars all with their own Seagate Freeagent Go drives running ARMedSlack 13.37RC1 and
booting from Doozan's uboot.  I also use his Rescue System.  I setup the first Dockstar using a serial cable
but was able to get the last two up and running just using ssh.

Regards

Rich Lapointe

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Davide <louigi600 <at> yahoo.it>
Sender: armedslack-bounces <at> lists.armedslack.orgDate: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 15:40:32 
To: Slackware ARM port<armedslack <at> lists.armedslack.org>
Reply-To: Slackware ARM port  <armedslack <at> lists.armedslack.org>
Subject: [ARMedslack] jeff Doozan's uboot

Oooops .... need to do a hardware reset o reboot for uboot to do the magic.
Just setting the variable, saving it permanently and booting is not enough.
Perhaps uboot uses that variable to do some initialization before you get the prompt.

Sorry for making so much noise.

Regards
David 

--- Mar 19/4/11, Davide <louigi600 <at> yahoo.it> ha scritto:

> Da: Davide <louigi600 <at> yahoo.it>
(Continue reading)

Thorsten Mühlfelder | 19 Apr 18:57 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: jeff Doozan's uboot

Am Tuesday 19 April 2011 18:37:20 schrieb richard.lapointe <at> gmail.com:
> Yeah, I got fooled by this.  Would had replied but you had it solve before
> I finished reading the thread. BTW, I have three Dockstars all with their
> own Seagate Freeagent Go drives running ARMedSlack 13.37RC1 and booting
> from Doozan's uboot.  I also use his Rescue System. 

What rescue system did you use? It seems my original pogoplug system (that one 
the dockstar is deliverd with) does not boot anymore. So some other fallback 
system would be nice.

--

-- 
Thorsten Mühlfelder
Salix OS: www.salixos.org
Rich | 20 Apr 00:48 2011
Picon

Re: jeff Doozan's uboot

I used this on all three of my Dockstars

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,3896

Makes for a very nice backup OS.

Rich

On 04/19/2011 12:57 PM, Thorsten Mühlfelder wrote:
> Am Tuesday 19 April 2011 18:37:20 schrieb richard.lapointe <at> gmail.com:
>    
>> Yeah, I got fooled by this.  Would had replied but you had it solve before
>> I finished reading the thread. BTW, I have three Dockstars all with their
>> own Seagate Freeagent Go drives running ARMedSlack 13.37RC1 and booting
>> from Doozan's uboot.  I also use his Rescue System.
>>      
> What rescue system did you use? It seems my original pogoplug system (that one
> the dockstar is deliverd with) does not boot anymore. So some other fallback
> system would be nice.
>
>    
Davide | 20 Apr 12:01 2011
Picon

jeff Doozan's uboot

Now that I've a developement environment I'll be replicating what I did with miniroot to get
ap/3G/nas/router on a minimal busybox based environment.
As usual I'll leave a slackwareish feeling environment to the system.
Once I get it working this could be an alternative emergency rescue for those who like a slackare feel in the
emerg system too :-D

Unless someone comes up with a better place for it (since I no longer run my www.seicento.selfip.org site)
once I finish I'll mekrr the image avalibe via rapidshare.
As an alternatibe place to have this would it be a crazy thing to have a microroot armedslack ?

Regards
David
> I used this on all three of my
> Dockstars
> 
> http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,3896
> 
> Makes for a very nice backup OS.
> 
> Rich
> 
> 
> On 04/19/2011 12:57 PM, Thorsten Mühlfelder wrote:
> > Am Tuesday 19 April 2011 18:37:20 schrieb richard.lapointe <at> gmail.com:
> >    
> >> Yeah, I got fooled by this.  Would had
> replied but you had it solve before
> >> I finished reading the thread. BTW, I have three
> Dockstars all with their
> >> own Seagate Freeagent Go drives running ARMedSlack
(Continue reading)

Thorsten Mühlfelder | 20 Apr 13:21 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: jeff Doozan's uboot

Am Wednesday 20 April 2011 12:01:10 schrieb Davide:
> Now that I've a developement environment I'll be replicating what I did
> with miniroot to get ap/3G/nas/router on a minimal busybox based
> environment. 

So you have a Slackware system with busybox instead of the GNU tools? How much 
space saves this?

> As an alternatibe place to have this would it be a crazy
> thing to have a microroot armedslack ?

The bigges NAND partition on the Dockstar is about 220 MB and could be used by 
a rescue/fallback root partition if no USB drive is connected.
UBIFS would be a good choice for it.

--

-- 
Thorsten Mühlfelder
Salix OS: www.salixos.org
Davide | 20 Apr 14:08 2011
Picon

jeff Doozan's uboot

> > Now that I've a developement environment I'll be
> replicating what I did
> > with miniroot to get ap/3G/nas/router on a minimal
> busybox based
> > environment. 
> 
> So you have a Slackware system with busybox instead of the
> GNU tools? How much 
> space saves this?

I'd stripp all that is not needed.
Last time I built a similar emergency system I had, if I remember correctly: busybox, wireless tools,
dropbera, vncviewer, dresktop, tinyX, fluxbox and limited hotplug/usb functionality in something
like 15Mb.
I think that's still avalible on freshmeat/sourceforge  ... look for clash ... amongst the downloads there
should be a small iso images.
I had a look it's still avalible:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bclash/files/iso_images/2/
It has been unmaintained since then ans version 3 remains unfixed.
BTW: the stuff I wrote at the time I had evidently less experience might be full of stuff I myself would find
infuriating right now :-D

This time I'll be aiming at making the AP/3G/nas/router fit in a smaller footprint. 
The idea would be to have: busybox, wireless tools, udev, usb utils, dropbear, nand utilities and possibly 
webserver and some web oriented scripting language.
Web stuff aside it could be a nice small rescue system.

My current armedslack miniroot AP/3G/nas/router fits in the 229Mb data mtd partition. I'm targeting the
32Mb root mtd partition for the reduced busybox setup. But in 32Mb I may not be able to get the web scripting
language ... I'll see what I can manage.
(Continue reading)

Davide | 21 Apr 12:12 2011
Picon

jeff Doozan's uboot

This is a mix ov a few I built myself and some gotten from current.
This is waht I'll be working with and should fit in a compressed jffs2 image 64Mb big.
root <at> slackware:/usr/src/surap_packages# du -ms * | sort -n
1       busybox-1.18.4-arm-1.tgz
1       dropbear-0.53.1-arm-1.tgz
1       hostapd-0.7.3-arm-1.tgz
1       iptables-1.4.10-arm-1.tgz
1       iw-0.9.20-arm-1.tgz
1       ppp-2.4.5-arm-1.tgz
1       udev-165-arm-2.tgz
1       usb_modeswitch-1.1.6-arm-1.tgz
1       wireless-tools-29-arm-2.tgz
2       httpd-2.2.17-arm-2.tgz
2       kernel-firmware-2.6.38.3-noarch-1.tgz
5       glibc-solibs-2.13-arm-1.tgz
8       kernel_kirkwood-2.6.38.3-arm-1.tgz
10      php-5.3.5-arm-1.tgz
15      kernel-modules-kirkwood-2.6.38.3_kirkwood-arm-1.tgz
root <at> slackware:/usr/src/surap_packages# du -ms .
43      .
root <at> slackware:/usr/src/surap_packages#

Since booting from jffs2 image does not require initrd ... and maybe one can do without documentation ....
I'll see if I can fit that in a 32Mb image.
Thorsten Mühlfelder | 21 Apr 12:17 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: jeff Doozan's uboot

Am Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:12:44 +0100 (BST)
schrieb Davide <louigi600 <at> yahoo.it>:

> This is a mix ov a few I built myself and some gotten from current.
> This is waht I'll be working with and should fit in a compressed
> jffs2 image 64Mb big. root <at> slackware:/usr/src/surap_packages# du -ms
> * | sort -n 1       busybox-1.18.4-arm-1.tgz
> 1       dropbear-0.53.1-arm-1.tgz
> 1       hostapd-0.7.3-arm-1.tgz
> 1       iptables-1.4.10-arm-1.tgz
> 1       iw-0.9.20-arm-1.tgz
> 1       ppp-2.4.5-arm-1.tgz
> 1       udev-165-arm-2.tgz
> 1       usb_modeswitch-1.1.6-arm-1.tgz
> 1       wireless-tools-29-arm-2.tgz
> 2       httpd-2.2.17-arm-2.tgz
> 2       kernel-firmware-2.6.38.3-noarch-1.tgz
> 5       glibc-solibs-2.13-arm-1.tgz
> 8       kernel_kirkwood-2.6.38.3-arm-1.tgz
> 10      php-5.3.5-arm-1.tgz
> 15      kernel-modules-kirkwood-2.6.38.3_kirkwood-arm-1.tgz
> root <at> slackware:/usr/src/surap_packages# du -ms .
> 43      .
> root <at> slackware:/usr/src/surap_packages#
> 
> 
> Since booting from jffs2 image does not require initrd ... and maybe
> one can do without documentation .... I'll see if I can fit that in a
> 32Mb image.

(Continue reading)

Davide | 19 Apr 14:44 2011
Picon

Re: jeff Doozan's uboot

Hum well the reboot after it worked failed again on all dockstar usb ports.
No the only thing I recall different from when it worked is that I rebooted from Linux running on usb
flashdrive with the lace usb HDU plugged in and modules loaded.

The only explanation I've for that is that the lace USB HDU (more specifically the usb 2 sata adapter that is
in the casing) requires firmware or something like that that uboot cannot handle.

I tested a different usb HDU and it works ok ... it seems an issue with some specific models and not something
that afflicts all usb HDUs.

Concerning the leds ... while jeff's uboot is running the green led is flashing so the led is still working
.... but there mist be something that goes wrong when 2.6.38-rc2 is loaded that does not happen on the other dockstar.
Not sure if it;s something to do with jeff's uboot setup or with my brand new dockstar.
If I notice any other odd stuff I'll update on this.

Regards
David  

--- Mar 19/4/11, Davide <louigi600 <at> yahoo.it> ha scritto:

> Da: Davide <louigi600 <at> yahoo.it>
> Oggetto: Re: [ARMedslack] jeff Doozan's uboot
> A: "Slackware ARM port" <armedslack <at> lists.armedslack.org>
> Data: Martedì 19 Aprile 2011, 14:14
> Well yeah .... I've an update on
> this:
> I did nothing but change the usb port from closest to RJ45
> to the one nets to the closest to RJ45.
> This time it boots.
> 
(Continue reading)

Thorsten Mühlfelder | 19 Apr 14:52 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: jeff Doozan's uboot

Another thing:
Please don't use the "reply" button to start a new thread. Use "new mail" and 
add the ML address. Otherwise the thread view in mail clients is wrong.

--

-- 
Thorsten Mühlfelder
Salix OS: www.salixos.org
Thorsten Mühlfelder | 21 Apr 12:03 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: Kernel kirkwood-2.6.38.2: CONFIG_N_HDLC

Am Sat, 9 Apr 2011 15:33:08 +0200
schrieb Thorsten Mühlfelder <thenktor <at> gmx.de>:

> Am Thu, 7 Apr 2011 19:39:16 +0100 (BST)
> schrieb Stuart Winter <m-lists <at> biscuit.org.uk>:
> 
> > I'll add the kernel option before the 13.37 release - either as a
> > kernel rebuild, or a kernel update - which ever comes first.
> 
> Thanks!
> Just noticed: pppoe uses about 11 % CPU with downstram fully loaded
> (16 MBit/s).
> 

With synchronous mode pppoe only uses 5 % CPU on my dockstar. Sadly the
connection is not really stable. The download rate fluctuates and
opening web pages in the browser is slow.

In the syslog are some errors:
Apr 21 10:57:22 dreamtheater pppd[2911]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0xfc7a
Apr 21 10:57:27 dreamtheater pppd[2911]: Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0xdb
Apr 21 10:58:43 dreamtheater pppoe[2912]: read (syncReadFromPPP): Session 649: Input/output error

So I'm back to asynchronous mode now.

--

-- 
Thorsten Mühlfelder
Salix OS: www.salixos.org

Gmane