Davide | 14 Jul 15:06 2011
Picon

Got a toshiba AC100

My last day at the old work the work mate gave me a Toshiba AC100 as a present (one of those nvidia tegra dual
core arm based netbooks with android): how do I put armedslack in this thing ?

Regards
David
Thorsten Mühlfelder | 14 Jul 15:30 2011

Re: Got a toshiba AC100

Am Thursday 14 July 2011 15:06:01 schrieb Davide:
> My last day at the old work the work mate gave me a Toshiba AC100 as a
> present (one of those nvidia tegra dual core arm based netbooks with
> android): how do I put armedslack in this thing ?

You can search the ML archive for this message and ask Manfred:

> > I wonder If anyone has tried ARMed Slack on a Toshiba AC100 netbook?
>
> Hi Thorsten,
>
> at the very moment I've started porting FluxFlux to ARMed Slack using the
> ac100 as dev machine.
>
> I'm at a very early stage, but I think this netbook is a very good start
> to be prepared for the release of tegra 4.
>
> Regards,
>
> Manfred aka Quax

Thorsten Mühlfelder
Salix OS: www.salixos.org
Manfred Müller | 14 Jul 16:42 2011

Re: Got a toshiba AC100

Hi list,

> You can search the ML archive for this message and ask Manfred:

although I still own this littele thing I gave up on porting ARMedslack to it
because I have to finish the tablet version of FluxFlux first...

 <at> Thorsten:

ot: was it really needed to reinvent the wheel with Salt instead of improving the legacy LLS?

Regards, Manfred
Davide | 14 Jul 17:15 2011
Picon

Re: Got a toshiba AC100

Hum well I can do with the ordinary fluxbox as long as the touchpad works.
I could even accept to run on it a framebuffer kdrive as xserver as long as I can have an ordinary linux
distribution on it (possibly slackware or slackware based).

The real questions are:
do I haveto stick with the original bootloader whatever it is or has someone ported uboot or something else
to it or do I haveto work with kexecboot ?

do I haveto stick with the origina kernel to get all the onboard devices working or can a vanilla kernel be
configured to handle all the devices on this thing ?

will the armedslack binaries run on the ac100 or do they need to be compiled specially for this specific arm
processor ?

Regards
David

> > You can search the ML archive for this message and ask
> Manfred:
>
> although I still own this littele thing I gave up on
> porting ARMedslack to it
(Continue reading)

Dave Dowell | 14 Jul 17:29 2011
Picon

Re: Got a toshiba AC100

Here's a page which covers the bootloader
http://tosh-ac100.wetpaint.com/page/Ubuntu

Thanks
Dave

On 14/07/2011 16:15, Davide wrote:
> Hum well I can do with the ordinary fluxbox as long as the touchpad works.
> I could even accept to run on it a framebuffer kdrive as xserver as long as I can have an ordinary linux
distribution on it (possibly slackware or slackware based).

> The real questions are:
> do I haveto stick with the original bootloader whatever it is or has someone ported uboot or something else
to it or do I haveto work with kexecboot ?

> do I haveto stick with the origina kernel to get all the onboard devices working or can a vanilla kernel be
configured to handle all the devices on this thing ?

> will the armedslack binaries run on the ac100 or do they need to be compiled specially for this specific arm
processor ?

> Regards
> David

Thorsten Mühlfelder | 14 Jul 17:50 2011

Re: Got a toshiba AC100

Am Thursday 14 July 2011 17:29:59 schrieb Dave Dowell:
> Here's a page which covers the bootloader
> http://tosh-ac100.wetpaint.com/page/Ubuntu

And there also is a kernel available and a rootfs (which probably can be
exchanged with the ARMed Slack one):
http://ac100.gudinna.com/

> On 14/07/2011 16:15, Davide wrote:
> > Hum well I can do with the ordinary fluxbox as long as the touchpad
> > works. I could even accept to run on it a framebuffer kdrive as xserver
> > as long as I can have an ordinary linux distribution on it (possibly
> > slackware or slackware based).
> >
> > The real questions are:
> > do I haveto stick with the original bootloader whatever it is or has
> > someone ported uboot or something else to it or do I haveto work with
> > kexecboot ?
> >
> > do I haveto stick with the origina kernel to get all the onboard devices
> > working or can a vanilla kernel be configured to handle all the devices
> > on this thing ?
> >
> > will the armedslack binaries run on the ac100 or do they need to be
> > compiled specially for this specific arm processor ?
> >
> > Regards
> > David

(Continue reading)

Davide | 14 Jul 20:07 2011
Picon

Re: Got a toshiba AC100

Armedslack current I thinks needs 2.6.32 or udev will need to be downgraded ... the libs should be ok as if I
remember right they require 2.6.26 or better.
But that's not the major issue right now ;-)
I'm worried about binary compatibility as "armedslack binaries will run on almost any arm platform" but
that does not mean they will run on every arm platform.

David

> > Here's a page which covers the bootloader
> > http://tosh-ac100.wetpaint.com/page/Ubuntu
>
> And there also is a kernel available and a rootfs (which
> probably can be
> exchanged with the ARMed Slack one):
> http://ac100.gudinna.com/
>

> > On 14/07/2011 16:15, Davide wrote:
> > > Hum well I can do with the ordinary fluxbox as
> long as the touchpad
> > > works. I could even accept to run on it a
(Continue reading)

Thorsten Mühlfelder | 14 Jul 20:34 2011

Re: Got a toshiba AC100

Am Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:07:31 +0100 (BST)
schrieb Davide <louigi600 <at> yahoo.it>:

> I'm worried about binary compatibility as "armedslack
> binaries will run on almost any arm platform" but that does not mean
> they will run on every arm platform.

They are built for armv4 and the Tegra should be at least armv6 so they
should run without problems.

Thorsten Mühlfelder
Salix OS: www.salixos.org
Davide | 15 Jul 09:21 2011
Picon

Re: Got a toshiba AC100

Ok I followed instructions from http://ac100.gudinna.com/README/ to get ubuntoo 10.10 working off the SD.

I then mixed up an armedslack miniroot 13.1 (any higher would hit the udev kernel version requirement
issue) with the kernel modules from ubuntu 10.10 for ac100 in an attempt to get a base system booting off the SD.

All looked right while starting to boot until I hit a kernel panic: attempting to kill init

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this or what's actually causing it ?

Having got as far as that I suppose the root got mounted. Init being the first binary to be executed I guess
it's having some trouble: could it be something wrong with the console ?
I got very few messages on console while kernel was starting so I suppose ither kernel has been configured to
be very quiet or the console is not where I'm looking. Could init kill itself if it finds nowhere to spraun
getty for console ?

Regards
David

> schrieb Davide <louigi600 <at> yahoo.it>:
>
> > I'm worried about binary compatibility as "armedslack
> > binaries will run on almost any arm platform" but that
(Continue reading)

Thorsten Mühlfelder | 15 Jul 10:14 2011

Re: Got a toshiba AC100

Am Friday 15 July 2011 09:21:53 schrieb Davide:
> Ok I followed instructions from http://ac100.gudinna.com/README/ to get
> ubuntoo 10.10 working off the SD.
>
> I then mixed up an armedslack miniroot 13.1 (any higher would hit the udev
> kernel version requirement issue) with the kernel modules from ubuntu 10.10
> for ac100 in an attempt to get a base system booting off the SD.
>
> All looked right while starting to boot until I hit a kernel panic:
> attempting to kill init

Could you make some photos of the interesting error messages? If you do, don't
attach them to the mail. Instead upload them to an image hoster.

Thorsten Mühlfelder
Salix OS: www.salixos.org
Davide | 15 Jul 11:23 2011
Picon

Re: Got a toshiba AC100

To reduce possible faliures to a minimum I did the same with clashNG.
Maybe I did not look well enough the first time but this time I got for sure another intresting message before
init killing itself:
Kernel too old

Don't think a picture is necessary for that.

Now I'm not 100% sure that I also had this on slackware 13.1 miniroot but since I use slackware 13.1 to build
clashNG I'm strongly suspecting that I had the same message but did not notice it since it wan not on the last line.

Damn ....

Anyone know what boot loader is on the AC100 ... maybe it's possible to have more then one kernel lingering
around ?
Anyone know how to build kernel for the ac100 that will run armedslack ?

Regards
David