Stuart Winter | 15 Aug 14:48 2011
Picon

Root on NFS and DHCP support built into the kernel?

Hi

I am thinking of adding DHCP support & ROOT_NFS into the kernel to support
systems without local storage.
These options need to be compiled into the kernel rather than as modules.

Would anybody (who isn't already building their own kernels) benefit from
these options?

Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org
Brennan Newman | 15 Aug 17:07 2011
Picon

Re: Root on NFS and DHCP support built into the kernel?

I would like to experiment with root on NFS.

On Aug 15, 2011 7:48 AM, "Stuart Winter" <m-lists <at> biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am thinking of adding DHCP support & ROOT_NFS into the kernel to support
> systems without local storage.
> These options need to be compiled into the kernel rather than as modules.
>
> Would anybody (who isn't already building their own kernels) benefit from
> these options?
>
> --
> Stuart Winter
> Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org
Niels Horn | 15 Aug 16:15 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Stuart Winter <m-lists <at> biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am thinking of adding DHCP support & ROOT_NFS into the kernel to support
> systems without local storage.
> These options need to be compiled into the kernel rather than as modules.
>
> Would anybody (who isn't already building their own kernels) benefit from
> these options?
>
> --
> Stuart Winter
> Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org

Hi,

I can certainly imagine aplications where this could be useful.
I *thought* about doing this (building my own kernel) but simply never
got to do it (priorities, priorities, ...).

Now, ideally, I would like to have a combination of ROOT_NFS +
wireless dongle module for the SheevaPlug.
But I guess that means building my own kernel anyway, to get the
module for the wireless chipset in there.

Well, just random ramblings and loose ideas. Like I said, never really
sat back to ponder about this more.

--
Niels Horn

Gmane