Kyle Brown | 10 Mar 21:00 2011
Picon

Idea for slackbuilds.org

I have an idea that I would like to pass to slackbuilds.org for
consideration:

I believe it would be emmensely useful to have a short description
displayed when browsing each of the slackbuilds.org directories.

Currently only "Name", "Version", "Updated On" are displayed in the lists.

I believe changing this to "Name",**"Description"**,"Version","Updated
On" would be very helpful.

Many times I come looking for slackbuild ready software at
slackbuilds.org but I always have to go click on each link to see what
the software is.  It would be nice to be able to just scroll through and
read a short discription on what the slackbuild/software does.    I
would think it should be a simple database call that could provide a
much increased ease of use on the website.

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Kyle Brown
A Slackware User

Erik Hanson | 10 Mar 21:22 2011

Re: Idea for slackbuilds.org

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:00:28 -0500
Kyle Brown <kylebrown@...> wrote:

> I believe it would be emmensely useful to have a short description
> displayed when browsing each of the slackbuilds.org directories.
>
> Currently only "Name", "Version", "Updated On" are displayed in the
> lists.
>
> I believe changing this to
> "Name",**"Description"**,"Version","Updated On" would be very helpful.

I coded this a long time ago, but it was very slow because a short
description is not in the db, it had to be pulled from each slack-desc.
If we get that data in the db then it should be easy to add.

Erik Hanson
Kyle Brown <kylebrown@...> wrote:

> I believe it would be emmensely useful to have a short description
> displayed when browsing each of the slackbuilds.org directories.
>
> Currently only "Name", "Version", "Updated On" are displayed in the
> lists.
>
> I believe changing this to
(Continue reading)

Ozan Türkyılmaz | 10 Mar 21:38 2011
Picon

Re: Idea for slackbuilds.org

2011/3/10 Erik Hanson <erik@...>:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:00:28 -0500
> Kyle Brown <kylebrown@...> wrote:
>
>> I believe it would be emmensely useful to have a short description
>> displayed when browsing each of the slackbuilds.org directories.
>>
>> Currently only "Name", "Version", "Updated On" are displayed in the
>> lists.
>>
>> I believe changing this to
>> "Name",**"Description"**,"Version","Updated On" would be very helpful.
>
> I coded this a long time ago, but it was very slow because a short
> description is not in the db, it had to be pulled from each slack-desc.
> If we get that data in the db then it should be easy to add.

How about making it mandatory for .infos. Short-desc would be really
useful for browsers of the repo.

Ozan, BSc, BEng
King Beowulf | 10 Mar 22:00 2011
Picon

Re: Idea for slackbuilds.org

I'll go along with that. Easy to add a line, limited to maybe 50 char
or less, to the .info

Ed

On 3/10/11, Ozan Türkyılmaz <ozan.turkyilmaz <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/3/10 Erik Hanson <erik <at> slackbuilds.org>:
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:00:28 -0500
>> Kyle Brown <kylebrown <at> ec.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I believe it would be emmensely useful to have a short description
>>> displayed when browsing each of the slackbuilds.org directories.
>>>
>>> Currently only "Name", "Version", "Updated On" are displayed in the
>>> lists.
>>>
>>> I believe changing this to
>>> "Name",**"Description"**,"Version","Updated On" would be very helpful.
>>
>> I coded this a long time ago, but it was very slow because a short
>> description is not in the db, it had to be pulled from each slack-desc.
>> If we get that data in the db then it should be easy to add.
>>

> How about making it mandatory for .infos. Short-desc would be really
> useful for browsers of the repo.
>
> --
> Ozan, BSc, BEng

slakmagik | 11 Mar 03:58 2011
Picon

Re: Idea for slackbuilds.org

On 2011-03-10 (Thu) 13:00:27 [-0800], King Beowulf wrote:
> I'll go along with that. Easy to add a line, limited to maybe 50 char
> or less, to the .info
>
> Ed
>

> On 3/10/11, Ozan Türky?lmaz <ozan.turkyilmaz@...> wrote:
> > 2011/3/10 Erik Hanson <erik@...>:

> >> I coded this a long time ago, but it was very slow because a short
> >> description is not in the db, it had to be pulled from each slack-desc.
> >> If we get that data in the db then it should be easy to add.
> >>

> > How about making it mandatory for .infos. Short-desc would be really
> > useful for browsers of the repo.

(Continue reading)

Erik Hanson | 11 Mar 04:30 2011

Re: Idea for slackbuilds.org