Chris ABELA | 16 Jun 15:23 2011

What packages do you upgrade?

I noticed that there were some updates on some SBo packages I had already
installed on my new Slackware 13.37 installation. Given some possible
options that come to my mind, what would you consider as the best practice?

1. Ignore them unless there are some security issues.
2. Upgrade them and rebuild any packages that were built against them.
3. Upgrade them but do not bother with any other packages even if they were
built against them.

I tend to find the last option as the most sensible but I would appreciate
your opinions.

Chris

Ozan Türkyılmaz | 16 Jun 15:25 2011
Picon

Re: What packages do you upgrade?

2011/6/16 Chris ABELA <chris.abela@...>:
> 3. Upgrade them but do not bother with any other packages even if they were

I got for that all the time.

Ozan, BSc, BEng
Niels Horn | 16 Jun 15:54 2011

2011/6/16 Ozan Türkyılmaz <ozan.turkyilmaz <at> gmail.com>:
> 2011/6/16 Chris ABELA <chris.abela <at> maltats.com>:
>> 3. Upgrade them but do not bother with any other packages even if they were
>
> I got for that all the time.
>
> --
> Ozan, BSc, BEng

Well, if you upgrade a library, you might need to rebuild the packages
that depend on it.
This all depends on how big the change is in the lib - and how
upstream developers took care of that...

For instance, if you upgrade libxyz for 1.2.1 to 1.2.2 and upstream
maintained compatibility, everything will be OK.
But a change from 1.2.1 to 2.0.0 sounds like a major upgrade, with a
new version of the shared object and might intruduce compatibility
problems.

My personal experience:
- read the changelog of the upgrades package from upstream to find out
why they released the new version. If they are responsible persons,
the warn about possible impacts.
- run "ldd <your_program>" after the upgrade and check for errors
- test <your_program> - especially the functionality handled by libxyz
if possible.
- try at least to build <your_program> and see if it complains about
libxyz. If it does, you might even send an e-mail to <your_program>
developers telling them what you found out, or check their forum,
(Continue reading)

Chris ABELA | 17 Jun 08:33 2011