Thomas Morper | 27 Jul 02:22 2011

nvidia-kernel vs. xorg.conf

Hello there,

Recently, a new bit of code, that will put an xorg.conf.d/device.conf to
the resulting package, has been added to the nvidia-kernel SlackBuild.

While this is convenient for most first time installs, it's less
convenient when updating, because the hardcoded device.conf will
overwrite any user-made changes and will clash with certain multi-head
setups.

I think I'd rather have the device.conf in the doc-directory and a hint
in the README. Still convenient for first-time installs, but won't break
existing setups. What do you think?

http://beingboiled.info/slackware/
King Beowulf | 27 Jul 03:10 2011
Picon

Re: nvidia-kernel vs. xorg.conf

Well, I wrestled with this a while. Even though I'm old school and run
a full tweaked out xorg.conf, the new fangled consensus seems to be to
run without and let X and the desktop environment automagically
configure things. That's why I added device.conf as the nvidia drivers
doesn't always get chosen properly.

It would be interesting to poll how many users still run a full xorg.conf.

My testing didn't show any issues with the extra device.conf. But if
it does, I can add a switch / readme to the script for the
selection...perhaps also a check in doinst.sh a ala device.conf.new...

Ed

On 7/26/11, Thomas Morper <thomas@...> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> Recently, a new bit of code, that will put an xorg.conf.d/device.conf to
> the resulting package, has been added to the nvidia-kernel SlackBuild.
>
> While this is convenient for most first time installs, it's less
> convenient when updating, because the hardcoded device.conf will
> overwrite any user-made changes and will clash with certain multi-head
> setups.
>
> I think I'd rather have the device.conf in the doc-directory and a hint
> in the README. Still convenient for first-time installs, but won't break
> existing setups. What do you think?

Lyonel Serradura | 27 Jul 09:24 2011
Picon

Re: nvidia-kernel vs. xorg.conf

Hi

I have a mere week old GT520 and as such I'm a new user of NVidia's
binary driver : neither the kernel fb nor Xorg's nouveau knows it !

I have yet to test Xorg without device.conf from nvidia-kernel, but it
works fine for me : I just have device.conf and
90-keyboard-layout.conf in xorg.conf.d

To tackle Thomas's issue, I would vote for a device.conf.new and
doinst.sh as I find it the Slawckare way of doing it.

BTW I'm running Slackware64-current, and I tweaked nvidia-kernel and
nvidia-kernel to use 280.04 : it works like a charm.

Lyonel

2011/7/27 King Beowulf <kingbeowulf@...>:
> Well, I wrestled with this a while. Even though I'm old school and run
> a full tweaked out xorg.conf, the new fangled consensus seems to be to
> run without and let X and the desktop environment automagically
> configure things. That's why I added device.conf as the nvidia drivers
> doesn't always get chosen properly.
>
> It would be interesting to poll how many users still run a full xorg.conf.
>
> My testing didn't show any issues with the extra device.conf. But if
> it does, I can add a switch / readme to the script for the
> selection...perhaps also a check in doinst.sh a ala device.conf.new...

(Continue reading)

Matteo Bernardini | 27 Jul 10:14 2011

On 27/07/2011 09:24, Lyonel Serradura wrote:
> To tackle Thomas's issue, I would vote for a device.conf.new and
> doinst.sh as I find it the Slawckare way of doing it.
>
> BTW I'm running Slackware64-current, and I tweaked nvidia-kernel and
> nvidia-kernel to use 280.04 : it works like a charm.

same here :)

Matteo
Phillip Warner | 28 Jul 06:21 2011

--- On Tue, 7/26/11, King Beowulf <kingbeowulf@...> wrote:

> Well, I wrestled with this a while.
> Even though I'm old school and run
> a full tweaked out xorg.conf, the new fangled consensus
> seems to be to
> run without and let X and the desktop environment
> automagically
> configure things. That's why I added device.conf as the
> nvidia drivers
> doesn't always get chosen properly.
>
> It would be interesting to poll how many users still run a
> full xorg.conf.
>
> My testing didn't show any issues with the extra
> device.conf. But if
> it does, I can add a switch / readme to the script for the
> selection...perhaps also a check in doinst.sh a ala
> device.conf.new...

I created my own xorg.conf stub a long time ago for the binary driver, and prefer not to have another conf file
added.  Some people use different options with their driver as well.  Simply making it optional via a build
option should satisfy everyone.  I don't care if it is on by default or not.

--phillip
emmel | 29 Jul 09:26 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 02:22:23AM +0200, Thomas Morper wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> Recently, a new bit of code, that will put an xorg.conf.d/device.conf to
> the resulting package, has been added to the nvidia-kernel SlackBuild.
>
> While this is convenient for most first time installs, it's less
> convenient when updating, because the hardcoded device.conf will
> overwrite any user-made changes and will clash with certain multi-head
> setups.
>
> I think I'd rather have the device.conf in the doc-directory and a hint
> in the README. Still convenient for first-time installs, but won't break
> existing setups. What do you think?

Short answer:

No.

Long answer:

You are thinking the wrong way. The package ought to work right out of
the box, so the config should be included. This will override changes
made by the user, but everyone who knows what they are doing - and quite
frankly, if you edit the Xorg.conf, you should - will be able to fix
this. Once.
Remember that /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d overrides /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.
So you should mention in the README, that this package now uses the
conf.d style in order to let people know that there might be trouble
updating, but not overcomplicate things. Adding it as a .new file
(Continue reading)

Thomas Morper | 29 Jul 21:56 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 09:26:51AM +0200, emmel wrote:

> Remember that /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d overrides /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.

Duh, stupid me, that's how I configured my keyboard layout! I completely
forgot about /usr/share and the usual "copy to /etc, then modify"

Now that I remember: Forget what I wrote. Keep the config, but
make it /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf instead of
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver.conf - should work out of the box then, but
is easy to customize and updates won't break user-made changes. Right?

http://beingboiled.info/slackware/
Robby Workman | 30 Jul 22:36 2011

Re: nvidia-kernel vs. xorg.conf

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:56:31 +0200
Thomas Morper <thomas@...> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 09:26:51AM +0200, emmel wrote:
>
> > Remember that /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
> > overrides /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.
>
> Duh, stupid me, that's how I configured my keyboard layout! I
> completely forgot about /usr/share and the usual "copy to /etc, then
> modify"
>
> Now that I remember: Forget what I wrote. Keep the config, but
> make it /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf instead of
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver.conf - should work out of the box then,
> but is easy to customize and updates won't break user-made changes.
> Right?

That sounds like the correct solution to me, fwiw.

Installing /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf with the package
will perhaps cause a one-time "wtf" moment for someone installing it,
but that's easy to document in README.   Basically, from then on, if
someone does not prefer that config file's contents, then it can be
overridden in /etc/X11/org.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf

-RW
On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:56:31 +0200
(Continue reading)

King Beowulf | 31 Jul 19:18 2011
Picon

Re: nvidia-kernel vs. xorg.conf

This sounds like a plan. I'll implement it when the 280 series goes
gold.  My basic idea when I threw in "drivers.conf" was to make a
better out of the box automagic experience for "regular" users, e.g.
people who don't need to, or don't want to, mess configuration

I didn't worry about "power" users since I had assumed, especially if
they run a full xorg.conf like I do, that they would just delete the
extra unneeded file and then run "startx".

Ed