B Watson | 9 Aug 00:33 2011
Picon

nonstandard build scripts

So I've written a script called "drumkit2pkg" that turns a Hydrogen
drumkit into a Slackware package...

I've also written a slackbuild for a package called hydrogen-drumkits,
that includes all the add-on kits available from the Hydrogen site. This
slackbuild pretty much consists of one line (that runs drumkit2pkg). It
doesn't look anything like a normal SBo script. The result is a noarch
package with all the files in /usr/share/hydrogen (and /usr/doc).

The only actual information contained in the build is in the DOWNLOAD=
line in the .info file (about 20 URLs there). Someone who's just installed
Hydrogen for the first time will probably do what I did: grab every
drumkit they can find, to hear which ones sound good. Having a package
in SBo would be convenient for them.

Can I submit a script like that (with its own copy of drumkit2pkg
included, since it's pretty small), or do I have to rewrite the thing
using the SBo template?

Whatever else I do, I *don't* want to break it up into 20-odd packages
with one drumkit each. Probably nobody else wants that either...
Klaatu | 9 Aug 01:04 2011

Re: nonstandard build scripts

If your fancy script ain't up to slackbuilds's standards, i'll gladly host it
on my own lil' slackware-related project, Slackermedia at
http://www.slackermedia.info

While not quite as ubiquitous as SlackBuilds, it does aim to bring neat
multimedia stuff to all those creative slackware people (and slackware to
those creative people).  Your script sounds really useful.  And where ever the
script ends up, I'ma gonna link to it anyway.

---klaatu

On Monday, August 08, 2011 06:33:20 pm B Watson wrote:
> So I've written a script called "drumkit2pkg" that turns a Hydrogen
> drumkit into a Slackware package...
>
> I've also written a slackbuild for a package called hydrogen-drumkits,
> that includes all the add-on kits available from the Hydrogen site. This
> slackbuild pretty much consists of one line (that runs drumkit2pkg). It
> doesn't look anything like a normal SBo script. The result is a noarch
> package with all the files in /usr/share/hydrogen (and /usr/doc).
>
> The only actual information contained in the build is in the DOWNLOAD=
> line in the .info file (about 20 URLs there). Someone who's just installed
> Hydrogen for the first time will probably do what I did: grab every
> drumkit they can find, to hear which ones sound good. Having a package
> in SBo would be convenient for them.
>
> Can I submit a script like that (with its own copy of drumkit2pkg
> included, since it's pretty small), or do I have to rewrite the thing
> using the SBo template?
(Continue reading)

Niels Horn | 9 Aug 04:40 2011
Picon

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:33 PM, B Watson <yalhcru@...> wrote:
> So I've written a script called "drumkit2pkg" that turns a Hydrogen
> drumkit into a Slackware package...
>
> I've also written a slackbuild for a package called hydrogen-drumkits,
> that includes all the add-on kits available from the Hydrogen site. This
> slackbuild pretty much consists of one line (that runs drumkit2pkg). It
> doesn't look anything like a normal SBo script. The result is a noarch
> package with all the files in /usr/share/hydrogen (and /usr/doc).
>
> The only actual information contained in the build is in the DOWNLOAD=
> line in the .info file (about 20 URLs there). Someone who's just installed
> Hydrogen for the first time will probably do what I did: grab every
> drumkit they can find, to hear which ones sound good. Having a package
> in SBo would be convenient for them.
>
> Can I submit a script like that (with its own copy of drumkit2pkg
> included, since it's pretty small), or do I have to rewrite the thing
> using the SBo template?
>
> Whatever else I do, I *don't* want to break it up into 20-odd packages
> with one drumkit each. Probably nobody else wants that either...

There are several SlackBuild scripts in our repository for "data"
packages, or "additional options", like supertuxkart-extra-karts,
supertuxkart-extra-tracks, leocad_pieces, LDraw_data (the last two are
my own).
Nothing is really "built" by these scripts, but they put the data in
the correct location and set the correct permissions.