Nicolas Kovacs | 10 Sep 11:08 2011
Picon

Virtualbox addons and Virtualbox kernel addons

Hi,

I just built and installed Virtualbox on two different desktops, running
respectively Slackware 13.37 and multilib-enabled Slackware64 13.37. I
duly followed the build instructions, and so far, virtualbox and
virtualbox-kernel built OK.

I'm a bit confused about the virtualbox-addons and
virtualbox-kernel-addons SlackBuilds. I know they're supposed to be
*used* within the GUEST system (I've worked with Virtualbox on CentOS
before), but where are they supposed to be *built*? On the host or guest
system?

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr
Mail : info@...
Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32
Ozan Türkyılmaz | 10 Sep 11:17 2011
Picon

Re: Virtualbox addons and Virtualbox kernel addons

2011/9/10 Nicolas Kovacs <info@...>:

> I'm a bit confused about the virtualbox-addons and virtualbox-kernel-addons
> SlackBuilds. I know they're supposed to be *used* within the GUEST system
> (I've worked with Virtualbox on CentOS before), but where are they supposed
> to be *built*? On the host or guest system?

If they are some systems (Slackware version and kernel version etc)
then it won't matter but if your guess different than your host, build
on guest system.

Ozan, BSc, BEng
emmel | 12 Sep 19:07 2011

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 02:17:07PM +0500, Ozan Türkyılmaz wrote:
> 2011/9/10 Nicolas Kovacs <info@...>:
> >
> > I'm a bit confused about the virtualbox-addons and virtualbox-kernel-addons
> > SlackBuilds. I know they're supposed to be *used* within the GUEST system
> > (I've worked with Virtualbox on CentOS before), but where are they supposed
> > to be *built*? On the host or guest system?
>
> If they are some systems (Slackware version and kernel version etc)
> then it won't matter but if your guess different than your host, build
> on guest system.

Since we are talking about VirtualBox... I'm having a problem and maybe
one of you can help. I have built virtualbox and the virtualbox-kernel
packages on Slackware64. Now, I'm aware that Slack64 is not exactly
supported (for virttualbox, nothing said about virtualbox-kernel) and
neither is current - which might have something to do with it.

Still, it built fine and as far as I can tell it ought to work. Except
my system won't load the kernel module. dmesg says:

[11687.026629] warning: `VirtualBox' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy
support in use)
[11788.213363] vboxdrv: Unknown symbol pv_irq_ops (err 0)

Any ideas? What confuses me is that the modul did build without
problems, I just can't use it. Any help appreciated.

As a side note, the current version is 4.1.2. Wondering if there is a
version bump planned for the slackbuild.
(Continue reading)

Ozan Türkyılmaz | 12 Sep 19:19 2011

2011/9/12 emmel <the_emmel@...>:
> Still, it built fine and as far as I can tell it ought to work. Except
> my system won't load the kernel module. dmesg says:
>
> [11687.026629] warning: `VirtualBox' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy
> support in use)
> [11788.213363] vboxdrv: Unknown symbol pv_irq_ops (err 0)

I think you lack visualization support in kernel.

Ozan, BSc, BEng
emmel | 15 Sep 10:05 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:19:56PM +0500, Ozan Türkyılmaz wrote:
> 2011/9/12 emmel <the_emmel@...>:
> > Still, it built fine and as far as I can tell it ought to work. Except
> > my system won't load the kernel module. dmesg says:
> >
> > [11687.026629] warning: `VirtualBox' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy
> > support in use)
> > [11788.213363] vboxdrv: Unknown symbol pv_irq_ops (err 0)
> >

> I think you lack visualization support in kernel.

Never mind, I figured it out. For some reason (i.e. me being stupid) I
had the kernel sources patched for xen and that clached. Works fine now.

One (minor) annoyance remains, though. For some reason the Help button
in the GUI doesn't find the UserManual.PDF, apparently expecting it to
be installed in /.

emmel <the_emmel@...>

GPG signed
Fingerprint: 60B4 D8E3 9617 900C 6726  168F D677 5AAD D40F CCE7
Certserver : hkp://pgp.mit.edu