Black Rider | 12 Sep 22:39 2011

Making a build that converts and mixes a .deb package

Hello.

I am thinking about creating a SlackBuild for Kobo Deluxe (space
shooting game) in the same fashion it was done in order to create the
PorteusBuild attached to this message.

As you can see, what this PorteusBuild does is to take two .deb
packages (Kobo and Kobo-data), mix them and compress the whole
thing as a single package. It works on Porteus and under Slackware too
(yeah, it took two days to beat the last level!)

Now, if I upload the build-pack, I will have to set a source for
Kobodeluxe x86 and Kobodeluxe x86_64. Kobodeluxe-data is, however,
architecture agnostic. I had thought about uploading kobodeluxe-data
inside the SlackBuild tarball, but I guess that would be unacceptable.
I have thought too about modifying the script so it downloads
kobodeluxe-data from a remote file server, but I really dislike the idea
(I want scripts to be as Internet agnostic as possible).

Before you come with a bright idea: last time I tried to compile Kobo
from source, I got a failure. There was a bug that prevented Kobo from
compiling in certain versions of GCC, I think.

Is there any acceptable way I could take to use these three packages
(Kobodeluxe x86/x86_64 and Kobodeluxe-data) for combining in a
single .tgz and stay compilant with SlackBuilds.org's policies? I don't
like the idea of making two separated build scripts, as I see this
stupid (you don't really need a SlackBuid script to convert two .debs
and install them, right?)

(Continue reading)

Matteo Bernardini | 13 Sep 06:15 2011
Picon

Re: Making a build that converts and mixes a .deb package

FYI, builds fine here (64-current) from source with the two patches
from archlinux

http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/kobodeluxe
Niels Horn | 13 Sep 14:33 2011
Picon

Re: Making a build that converts and mixes a .deb package

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Matteo Bernardini
<matteo.bernardini@...> wrote:
> FYI, builds fine here (64-current) from source with the two patches
> from archlinux
>
> http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/kobodeluxe

Unless it takes hours to build or needs huge amounts of free space,
building from source is definitely the preferred option.

--
Niels Horn
Manuel Reimer | 14 Sep 21:44 2011

Niels Horn wrote:
> Unless it takes hours to build or needs huge amounts of free space,
> building from source is definitely the preferred option.

+1

Only very huge projects should be repackaged. Most of those projects offer
prebuilt packages on their own (like LibreOffice).

Yours

Manuel

Black Rider | 15 Sep 16:38 2011

Niels Horn wrote:
> Unless it takes hours to build or needs huge amounts of free space,
> building from source is definitely the preferred option.

I know. I prefer building from source too. It is just that last time I
tried (and that's not much time ago) direct building didn't work, while
repackaging worked in half a second.

Matteo wrote:
> FYI, builds fine here (64-current) from source with the two patches
> from archlinux
>
> http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/kobodeluxe

I'll have a look at those Arch patches when I find the time to do so.
Thanks for the info.