Odd Martin Baanrud | 23 Sep 20:03 2011
Picon

Skype on x86_64

Hello,

I just built Skype using the skype SlackBuild script on my x86_64
system, but the skype package is an i486 package.
Can I install this on my stock x86_64 system, or do I need to install
some sort of compatibility stuff first?

Regards, Martin
/dev/ammo42 | 23 Sep 20:15 2011
Picon

Re: Skype on x86_64

> Hello,
>
> I just built Skype using the skype SlackBuild script on my x86_64
> system, but the skype package is an i486 package.
> Can I install this on my stock x86_64 system, or do I need to install
> some sort of compatibility stuff first?
The default Slackware64 installation doesn't include the multilib
libraries necessary to run x86 programs.
You need either:
-A Slackware32 chroot
-A set of multilib libraries, which you can get/build for example at
http://connie.slackware.com/~alien/multilib/
Mario | 24 Sep 09:31 2011

Re: Skype on x86_64

On 09/23/2011 08:15 PM, /dev/ammo42 wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just built Skype using the skype SlackBuild script on my x86_64
>> system, but the skype package is an i486 package.
>> Can I install this on my stock x86_64 system, or do I need to install
>> some sort of compatibility stuff first?
> The default Slackware64 installation doesn't include the multilib
> libraries necessary to run x86 programs.
> You need either:
> -A Slackware32 chroot
> -A set of multilib libraries, which you can get/build for example at
> http://connie.slackware.com/~alien/multilib/

And if you are going with the multilib option, heres a minimal list of
dependancies that skype needs:

These replace original packages (upgradepkg):
gcc
gcc-g++
glibc

And these you can just installpkg, they do not replace anything:
alsa-lib-compat32
expat-compat32
fontconfig-compat32
freetype-compat32
glib2-compat32
libICE-compat32
libSM-compat32
(Continue reading)

Odd Martin Baanrud | 24 Sep 12:08 2011
Picon

Re: Skype on x86_64

Hello Mario,

Thanks for all the info!
I wondered how I could make my x86_64 system compatible with 32-bit
programs.
I'll take a look at the link you posted.

Regards, Martin

Gmane