Greg' Ar Tourter | 20 Mar 18:23 2012
Picon

fonts from the Adobe Reader package

Hi,

I am thinking of modifying the slackbuild script for Adobe Reader to
add the fonts provided with it to the system's path, more specifically
the otf fonts.

The reason I wish to do this is that the Minion and myriad font are
rather nice and used quite often by people in documents. The fonts
have the same licence as the rest of the application and allows the
user to use them and embed them in documents as they please.

So my first question is: is it acceptable to do so? and the subsequent
one being, if it is, should I just copy the fonts to
/use/share/fonts/OTF or link them there?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Cheers

Greg
Petar Petrov | 21 Mar 16:52 2012

perl-gtk2 fails at make test

Hi!

Compiling perl-gtk2 exits with the followin error:

Test Summary Report
-------------------
t/GtkStatusIcon.t                (Wstat: 1024 Tests: 36 Failed: 4)
   Failed tests:  19-20, 25-26
   Non-zero exit status: 4
Files=217, Tests=4714, 76 wallclock secs ( 2.59 usr  1.15 sys + 55.39
cusr  6.28 csys = 65.41 CPU)
Result: FAIL
Failed 1/217 test programs. 4/4714 subtests failed.
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255

Full log is here:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~ppetrov/slack/other/build-perl-gtk2.log

If i comment the "make test" line in the SLackBuild script it builds fine.

regards

petar

ABELA Chris | 22 Mar 09:13 2012

Re: perl-gtk2 fails at make test

Hi!

Compiling perl-gtk2 exits with the followin error:

Test Summary Report
-------------------
t/GtkStatusIcon.t                (Wstat: 1024 Tests: 36 Failed: 4)
   Failed tests:  19-20, 25-26
   Non-zero exit status: 4
Files=217, Tests=4714, 76 wallclock secs ( 2.59 usr  1.15 sys + 55.39
cusr  6.28 csys = 65.41 CPU)
Result: FAIL
Failed 1/217 test programs. 4/4714 subtests failed.
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255

Full log is here:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~ppetrov/slack/other/build-perl-gtk2.log

If i comment the "make test" line in the SLackBuild script it builds fine.

regards

petar

David Spencer | 22 Mar 10:15 2012

Re: perl-gtk2 fails at make test

Well I have built perl-gtk2 on multiple systems with 13.37, 13.1 and
various current, both i486 and x86_64 -- and I try very hard not to
have a dirty build system, and would rather pluck out my eyes than use
the closed source nvidia driver ;-) -- and there are usually some
tests that fail.  Well, actually I can't remember even *once* that the
tests succeeded.  Despite failures, the built packages have always
worked acceptably.  So I just delete 'make test'.  At a guess, there
are race conditions in some tests, and/or they tickle various bugs in
various versions of various xorg drivers on various hardware, etc etc

Just disable the tests and be happy :D

-D.
Petar Petrov | 22 Mar 10:47 2012

Quoting David Spencer <baildon.research@...>:

> Well I have built perl-gtk2 on multiple systems with 13.37, 13.1 and
> various current, both i486 and x86_64 -- and I try very hard not to
> have a dirty build system, and would rather pluck out my eyes than use
> the closed source nvidia driver ;-) -- and there are usually some
> tests that fail.  Well, actually I can't remember even *once* that the
> tests succeeded.  Despite failures, the built packages have always
> worked acceptably.  So I just delete 'make test'.  At a guess, there
> are race conditions in some tests, and/or they tickle various bugs in
> various versions of various xorg drivers on various hardware, etc etc
>
> Just disable the tests and be happy :D
>
> -D.
>

> Just disable the tests and be happy :D

that's what i did... but since i submitted a SlackBuild that depends
on perl-gtk2 (clamtk) I just wanted to point it out. I did not write
about this earlier as i had perl-gtk2 already installed when making
this SLackBuild and had just forgotten about it...

(Continue reading)

King Beowulf | 22 Mar 05:31 2012
Picon

Re: fonts from the Adobe Reader package

I am thinking of modifying the slackbuild script for Adobe Reader to
add the fonts provided with it to the system's path, more specifically
the otf fonts.

The reason I wish to do this is that the Minion and myriad font are
rather nice and used quite often by people in documents. The fonts
have the same licence as the rest of the application and allows the
user to use them and embed them in documents as they please.

So my first question is: is it acceptable to do so? and the subsequent
one being, if it is, should I just copy the fonts to
/use/share/fonts/OTF or link them there?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Cheers

Greg

I would say no.  The Adobe Acrobat Reader fonts are subject to the Adobe Acrobat Reader software EULA and I don't see a "do what you want clause." There are some redistribution and usage issues and the EULA does not allow you to do "as you please."

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/reader/x/eula_en_gb.html
http://store1.adobe.com/type/browser/info/embedding.html

There are plenty of decent public domain, open source and creative commons fonts if you are looking for document  creation.

That said, as I am definitely not a lawyer (and I really do detest EULAs in general), perhaps leave it to the user: include a switch with default of "no" and link them for system wide installation.

-Ed
--
You! What PLANET is this!
    -- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0

Hi,<br><br>
I am thinking of modifying the slackbuild script for Adobe Reader to<br>
add the fonts provided with it to the system's path, more specifically<br>
the otf fonts.<br><br>
The reason I wish to do this is that the Minion and myriad font are<br>
rather nice and used quite often by people in documents. The fonts<br>
have the same licence as the rest of the application and allows the<br>
user to use them and embed them in documents as they please.<br><br>
So my first question is: is it acceptable to do so? and the subsequent<br>
one being, if it is, should I just copy the fonts to<br>
/use/share/fonts/OTF or link them there?<br><br>
Thanks in advance for the feedback.<br><br>
Cheers<br><br>
Greg<br>
Archives - <a href="http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/" target="_blank">http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/</a><br>
Doogster | 25 Apr 20:02 2012
Picon

Re: fonts from the Adobe Reader package

Sorry for the late reply, but I actually did manage to find Adobe's
official word on this:

"The Adobe Reader license seems to not allow using the fonts for other
purposes such as creating documents (unlike other Adobe licenses)."

http://typophile.com/node/27455#comment-152039

The author of that forum post is also the author of this blog entry:

http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2005/12/quality_in_type.html

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 9:31 PM, King Beowulf <kingbeowulf@...> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Greg' Ar Tourter <artourter@...>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am thinking of modifying the slackbuild script for Adobe Reader to
>> add the fonts provided with it to the system's path, more specifically
>> the otf fonts.
>>
>> The reason I wish to do this is that the Minion and myriad font are
>> rather nice and used quite often by people in documents. The fonts
>> have the same licence as the rest of the application and allows the
>> user to use them and embed them in documents as they please.
>>
>> So my first question is: is it acceptable to do so? and the subsequent
>> one being, if it is, should I just copy the fonts to
>> /use/share/fonts/OTF or link them there?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for the feedback.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Greg
>>

> I would say no.  The Adobe Acrobat Reader fonts are subject to the Adobe
> Acrobat Reader software EULA and I don't see a "do what you want clause."
> There are some redistribution and usage issues and the EULA does not allow
> you to do "as you please."
>
> http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/reader/x/eula_en_gb.html
> http://store1.adobe.com/type/browser/info/embedding.html
>
> There are plenty of decent public domain, open source and creative commons
> fonts if you are looking for document  creation.
>
> That said, as I am definitely not a lawyer (and I really do detest EULAs in
> general), perhaps leave it to the user: include a switch with default of
> "no" and link them for system wide installation.
>
> -Ed
> --
> You! What PLANET is this!
>     -- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0

Greg' Ar Tourter | 2 May 00:36 2012
Picon

Re: fonts from the Adobe Reader package

Hi,

Thanks Doogster for these references, very interesting.

Indeed, after King Beowulf's response I looked closely at the eula and
concluded that one was not allowed to use the fonts (unless only for
yourself in documents you do not send around) So I gave up on the idea
of linking them on the system folder when releasing 9.5.1 (still in
pending).

As the typophile comments say, I also got the original idea from
TeX.SX where people seem to promote the idea of using the fonts
provided in Reader for documents.

Cheers

Greg