Iain M Conochie | 25 Feb 15:06 2011

Slackware 13.1 and NFS (v4)

Afternoon all,

   I am having issues with NFS on the newest version of slackware.
Basically I am using /home as an nfs mount, but the UID's are not
mapping properly. This seems to be due to the server being NFS V4 and
the client machine (slack 13.1) not having idmapd installed. Has any one
come across this issue and resolved it?

Cheers

Iain
/dev/rob0 | 25 Feb 15:50 2011
Picon

Re: Slackware 13.1 and NFS (v4)

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 02:06:32PM +0000, Iain M Conochie wrote:
> I am having issues with NFS on the newest version of slackware.
> Basically I am using /home as an nfs mount, but the UID's are not
> mapping properly. This seems to be due to the server being NFS V4
> and the client machine (slack 13.1) not having idmapd installed.
> Has any one come across this issue and resolved it?

Hehe, my solution is lame but relatively simple, and has always
worked. I keep passwd(5) and group(5) files in synch among all
machines that will be using NFS.

Iain M Conochie | 25 Feb 15:55 2011

Re: Slackware 13.1 and NFS (v4)

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 02:06:32PM +0000, Iain M Conochie wrote:
>> I am having issues with NFS on the newest version of slackware.
>> Basically I am using /home as an nfs mount, but the UID's are not
>> mapping properly. This seems to be due to the server being NFS V4
>> and the client machine (slack 13.1) not having idmapd installed.
>> Has any one come across this issue and resolved it?
>
> Hehe, my solution is lame but relatively simple, and has always
> worked. I keep passwd(5) and group(5) files in synch among all
> machines that will be using NFS.

So here is the clincher. Slack 13.1 client using LDAP for user
authentication. This was basically sucked from the NFS server's
/etc/passwd file.

So there are a bunch of users that are the same and a bunch that are on
the server but not the client...

Iain

> --
>     Offlist mail to this address is discarded unless
>     "/dev/rob0" or "not-spam" is in Subject: header

Iain M Conochie | 25 Feb 16:31 2011

Re: Slackware 13.1 and NFS (v4)

On 25/02/2011 14:55, Iain M Conochie wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 02:06:32PM +0000, Iain M Conochie wrote:
>>> I am having issues with NFS on the newest version of slackware.
>>> Basically I am using /home as an nfs mount, but the UID's are not
>>> mapping properly. This seems to be due to the server being NFS V4
>>> and the client machine (slack 13.1) not having idmapd installed.
>>> Has any one come across this issue and resolved it?
>> Hehe, my solution is lame but relatively simple, and has always
>> worked. I keep passwd(5) and group(5) files in synch among all
>> machines that will be using NFS.
> So here is the clincher. Slack 13.1 client using LDAP for user
> authentication. This was basically sucked from the NFS server's
> /etc/passwd file.
>
> So there are a bunch of users that are the same and a bunch that are on
> the server but not the client...
>
> Iain
Looks like I needed idmapd. To be honest users could still read / write
into their home directories but stuff like ssh-key authentication
stopped working

Anyway grabbed the source from here
http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/nfsv4-linux/idmapd/idmapd-1.5.tar.gz
and compiled. I can see all the usual usernames now. Interestingly
usernames not known are listed as nobody....

Anyway - cheers

Iain