Rich Shepard | 8 Mar 15:43 2011

Firefox Upgrade Notice

   Quite recently the Slackware package for firefox-3.6.14 was released, and
I upgraded from the previous version. Now, each day a message window from
firefox pops up telling me that version -3.6.15 is available and I should
upgrade right away.

   In the years I've used firefox I've not seen a nagging message like this.
I assume that if the security vulnerability it fixes is severe the Slackware
team will soon release a package for this version.

   Have others seen this nagware? Anyone know why it has appeared?

Just curious,

Rich
Ottavio | 8 Mar 15:50 2011
Picon

Re: Firefox Upgrade Notice

On 8 March 2011 15:43, Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> each day a message window from
> firefox pops up telling me that version -3.6.15 is available and I should
> upgrade right away.

Why don't you just disable the update notification?
zux | 8 Mar 16:01 2011
Picon

Re: Firefox Upgrade Notice

probably it was disabled for you. i have had this message for long time,
but have not disabled it.

On 03/08/2011 04:50 PM, Ottavio wrote:
> On 8 March 2011 15:43, Rich Shepard<rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com>  wrote:
>> each day a message window from
>> firefox pops up telling me that version -3.6.15 is available and I should
>> upgrade right away.
> Why don't you just disable the update notification?

Ottavio | 8 Mar 16:21 2011
Picon

Re: Firefox Upgrade Notice

On 8 March 2011 16:01, zux <zux <at> pie-dabas.net> wrote:
> probably it was disabled for you. i have had this message for long time, but
> have not disabled it.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6.15/releasenotes/

========================
What’s New in Firefox 3.6.15

Firefox 3.6.15 fixes the following issues found in previous versions
of Firefox 3.6:

    * Fixed an issue where some Java applets would fail to load in
Firefox 3.6.14

You may also be interested in the Firefox 3.6.14 release notes for a
list of changes in the previous version.
Rich Shepard | 8 Mar 16:03 2011

Re: Firefox Upgrade Notice

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Ottavio wrote:

> Why don't you just disable the update notification?

   I just did this. I had not noticed that such notifications had been
enabled.

Thanks for the pointer!

Rich

Gmane