Rich Shepard | 10 Mar 19:30 2011

Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit

   I've looked on www.slackware.org and did not see information on migrating
to the 64-bit version. My server/workstation runs -13.1/32-bit and my laptop
runs -current/32-bit. When 13.37 is released I'd like to upgrade both to the
64-bit version.

   I have some tools and utilities that I've run for years that are strictly
32-bit and I'd like to keep those available.

   What do I read to learn how to make this change and retain access to
32-bit-only executables?

Rich
markus reichelt | 10 Mar 19:38 2011

Re: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit

* Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>   What do I read to learn how to make this change and retain access
> to 32-bit-only executables?

http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware:multilib

HTH

left blank, right bald
Rich Shepard | 10 Mar 19:49 2011

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, markus reichelt wrote:

> http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware:multilib

HTH,

   I'm sure it will, Markus.

Thanks,

Rich
Rich Shepard | 10 Mar 20:17 2011

Re: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, markus reichelt wrote:

> http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware:multilib

   This tells me how to add back the 32-bit capabilities to the 64-bit
installation. Am I correct is assuming that when I get the dual-version dvd
I follow the distribution upgrade procedure but with the 64-bit label up?

Rich
Evan Hisey | 10 Mar 20:28 2011
Picon

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, markus reichelt wrote:
>
>> http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware:multilib
>
>  This tells me how to add back the 32-bit capabilities to the 64-bit
> installation. Am I correct is assuming that when I get the dual-version dvd
> I follow the distribution upgrade procedure but with the 64-bit label up?
>
> Rich

That is probably going to go badly. To go from 32 to 64, you will
probably need to do a clean install.Multi-lib lets you run 32bit apps
on a 64 system, but the core libs are not going to be compatible for
an upgrade.

Evan
Rich Shepard | 10 Mar 22:32 2011

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Evan Hisey wrote:

> That is probably going to go badly. To go from 32 to 64, you will probably
> need to do a clean install.Multi-lib lets you run 32bit apps on a 64
> system, but the core libs are not going to be compatible for an upgrade.

Evan,

   That's what I thought. I'll need to troll /usr and /usr/local for those
apps (such as the ASclock that I keep in the upper right corner of each
virtual desktop). As usual, I will do the portable first as the test case to
find what gotcha's trip me up without putting me out of business.

Thanks,

Rich

Gmane