Ottavio | 21 Mar 16:04 2011
Picon

(current 64) System unbootable after kernel update

Hello, I am (I should say I was) using slackware 64 current.

I usually update my installation every morning with:

slackpkg update && slackpkg upgrade-all

The updates available were:

 - pkgtools
 - kernel-huge
 - kernel-modules
 - kernel-firmware

While installing the kernel-firmware package the installer hung with a
"timer interrupt" error.

I had already another virtual terminal as root open but I couldn't
type anything and I couldn't get to open any other windows. So I had
to reboot the system and it was obviously unbootable.

So I booted from the usb image (24 mg) and mounted the root partition
on /mnt, downloaded the above mentioned packages and installed the
packages with the option:

installpkg /tmp/* --root /mnt

So i rebooted the system and it is still unbootable, it hangs at

Any ideas?
(Continue reading)

zux | 21 Mar 16:11 2011
Picon

Re: (current 64) System unbootable after kernel update

did you run lilo after installing the new kernel?

On 03/21/2011 05:04 PM, Ottavio wrote:
> Hello, I am (I should say I was) using slackware 64 current.
>
> I usually update my installation every morning with:
>
> slackpkg update&&  slackpkg upgrade-all
>
> The updates available were:
>
>   - pkgtools
>   - kernel-huge
>   - kernel-modules
>   - kernel-firmware
>
> While installing the kernel-firmware package the installer hung with a
> "timer interrupt" error.
>
> I had already another virtual terminal as root open but I couldn't
> type anything and I couldn't get to open any other windows. So I had
> to reboot the system and it was obviously unbootable.
>
> So I booted from the usb image (24 mg) and mounted the root partition
> on /mnt, downloaded the above mentioned packages and installed the
> packages with the option:
>
> installpkg /tmp/* --root /mnt
>
> So i rebooted the system and it is still unbootable, it hangs at
(Continue reading)

Alan Hicks | 21 Mar 16:16 2011
Picon

Re: (current 64) System unbootable after kernel update

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:04:12 +0100
Ottavio <ottavio <at> bigfoot.com> wrote:
> I usually update my installation every morning with:
>
> slackpkg update && slackpkg upgrade-all

Ultimately, shit will happen. It also happens to fly farther when using
tools.

  -- Robby Workman

> installpkg /tmp/* --root /mnt
>
> So i rebooted the system and it is still unbootable, it hangs at
>
> Any ideas?

Yeah, stop using slackpkg. :^) Seriously though, what you need to do is
re-run LILO. Probably the easiest way to do that is to boot from your
CD, mount your / partition at /mnt, and chroot into it. Of course,
you'll need to edit your lilo.conf file and if you're using the generic
kernel (and you should be), you'll need to setup your initrd. Something
like this:

mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt -o rw
chroot /bin/bash /mnt
vi /etc/lilo.conf
vi /etc/mkinitrd.conf
mkinitrd -F
(Continue reading)

Ottavio | 21 Mar 16:54 2011

On 21 March 2011 16:16, Alan Hicks <alan <at> lizella.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:04:12 +0100
>  what you need to do is
> re-run LILO. Probably the easiest way to do that is to boot from your
> CD, mount your / partition at /mnt, and chroot into it. Of course,
> you'll need to edit your lilo.conf file and if you're using the generic
> kernel (and you should be), you'll need to setup your initrd. Something
> like this:
>
> mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt -o rw
> chroot /bin/bash /mnt
> vi /etc/lilo.conf
> vi /etc/mkinitrd.conf
> mkinitrd -F
> lilo

Yes I booted from the usb image and monted the root partition on /mnt.

Then I run pkgtools, selected the option to edit lilo,
 I followed instructions, I was asked where to install lilo and I
selected mbr, maybe that was wrong, anyway it gave me an error that it
was unable to install lilo on mbr.

If I edit /etc/lilo.conf what exactly should I edit ?

Thanks

Ottavio
(Continue reading)

Ottavio | 22 Mar 11:37 2011

On 21 March 2011 16:54, Ottavio <ottavio <at> bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On 21 March 2011 16:16, Alan Hicks <alan <at> lizella.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:04:12 +0100
>>  what you need to do is
>> re-run LILO. Probably the easiest way to do that is to boot from your
>> CD, mount your / partition at /mnt, and chroot into it. Of course,
>> you'll need to edit your lilo.conf file and if you're using the generic
>> kernel (and you should be), you'll need to setup your initrd. Something
>> like this:
>>
>> mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt -o rw
>> chroot /bin/bash /mnt
>> vi /etc/lilo.conf
>> vi /etc/mkinitrd.conf
>> mkinitrd -F
>> lilo

I edited /mnt/etc/lilo.conf.

Rerun lilo

output:

* linux added.

Rebooted the system, booted from /dev/sda1 > no joy, still hangs.

I would be glad if somebody pointed to one particular entry of lilo or
maybe the problem is that with that particular kernel.
(Continue reading)

zux | 22 Mar 11:44 2011
Picon

Re: (current 64) System unbootable after kernel update

can you paste your lilo.conf?

On 03/22/2011 12:37 PM, Ottavio wrote:

> I edited /mnt/etc/lilo.conf.
>
> Rerun lilo
>
> output:
>
> * linux added.
>
> Rebooted the system, booted from /dev/sda1>  no joy, still hangs.
>
> I would be glad if somebody pointed to one particular entry of lilo or
> maybe the problem is that with that particular kernel.
>
> Thank you

Vincent Batts | 22 Mar 12:01 2011

On Mar 22, 2011 6:44 AM, "zux" <zux <at> pie-dabas.net> wrote:

> can you paste your lilo.conf?

And paste
ls /var/log/packages/kernel*

vb

Vincent Batts | 21 Mar 16:18 2011
Picon

Re: (current 64) System unbootable after kernel update

this kind of recovery is always "exciting" the first couple of times :)
also, if you are concerned for the future, there is also an option for
slackpkg in /etc/slackpkg/slackpkg.conf
DOWNLOAD_ALL=on
it will cache all the packages before it begins the install/upgrade process.
OR
just keep a local rsync mirror ;) (just joking, it just seems that i
do that on many of my machines)

when mounting a system in recovery, i have and do still use the --root
type flags, but i *usually* feel more comfortable in a chroot'ed
environment. So assuming that '/' and '/boot' are different, a common
series of commands would be

<snip>
mount /dev/vg0/lvol1 /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
chroot /mnt
</snip>

then, in this chroot, go go to where the cached/stored/downloaded
packages are. and
#> upgragepkg --install-new *.t?z

it may be clean and necessary to check /var/log/packages/ for a
mid-state upgrade, like your kernel-firmware, you may find two files.
One new and the old looking like
"kernel-firmware-2.6.37.4-noarch-1-upgraded-2011-03-18,10:07:52"
In this case sometimes i will removepkg both of them, and then
installpkg that package manually.

also, with this proper chroot, you can then ensure your /etc/lilo.conf
is correct, and re-run lilo to seat the boot loader for the new kernel

hope this helps.

Take care,
vb
http://hashbangbash.com/

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Ottavio <ottavio <at> bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Hello, I am (I should say I was) using slackware 64 current.
>
> I usually update my installation every morning with:
>
> slackpkg update && slackpkg upgrade-all
>
> The updates available were:
>
>  - pkgtools
>  - kernel-huge
>  - kernel-modules
>  - kernel-firmware
>
> While installing the kernel-firmware package the installer hung with a
> "timer interrupt" error.
>
> I had already another virtual terminal as root open but I couldn't
> type anything and I couldn't get to open any other windows. So I had
> to reboot the system and it was obviously unbootable.
>
> So I booted from the usb image (24 mg) and mounted the root partition
> on /mnt, downloaded the above mentioned packages and installed the
> packages with the option:
>
> installpkg /tmp/* --root /mnt
>
> So i rebooted the system and it is still unbootable, it hangs at
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> Ottavio
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

Vincent Batts | 21 Mar 16:20 2011
Picon

Re: (current 64) System unbootable after kernel update

and another thing to keep in mind, the usb boot image needs to match
the ARCH of the installed system you are attempting to chroot into.
since you mentioned the installation was 64bit, then make the usb 64bit as well.

Take care,
vb
http://hashbangbash.com/

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Vincent Batts <vbatts <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> While installing the kernel-firmware package the installer hung with a
>> "timer interrupt" error.
>>
>> I had already another virtual terminal as root open but I couldn't
>> type anything and I couldn't get to open any other windows. So I had
>> to reboot the system and it was obviously unbootable.
>>
>> So I booted from the usb image (24 mg) and mounted the root partition
>> on /mnt, downloaded the above mentioned packages and installed the
>> packages with the option:
>>
>> installpkg /tmp/* --root /mnt
>>
>> So i rebooted the system and it is still unbootable, it hangs at
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> --
>> Ottavio
>>
>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>> A: Top-posting.
>> Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

John Crowhurst | 22 Mar 12:06 2011

On 21/03/2011 15:04, Ottavio wrote:
> Hello, I am (I should say I was) using slackware 64 current.
>
> I usually update my installation every morning with:
>
> slackpkg update&&  slackpkg upgrade-all
>
> The updates available were:
>
>   - pkgtools
>   - kernel-huge
>   - kernel-modules
>   - kernel-firmware
>
> While installing the kernel-firmware package the installer hung with a
> "timer interrupt" error.
>
> I had already another virtual terminal as root open but I couldn't
> type anything and I couldn't get to open any other windows. So I had
> to reboot the system and it was obviously unbootable.
>
> So I booted from the usb image (24 mg) and mounted the root partition
> on /mnt, downloaded the above mentioned packages and installed the
> packages with the option:
>
> installpkg /tmp/* --root /mnt
>
> So i rebooted the system and it is still unbootable, it hangs at
>
> Any ideas?

Try adding:

append="clocksource=pit" to your LILO conf file and then reload LILO and
see what that does.

Best,

John

Gmane