Rich Shepard | 2 Apr 00:09 2011

Converted to 13.1/64-bit, Added more RAM, Cannot Boot.

   I ordered 8G RAM for my Dell Latitude E-5410 and it arrived today. A bit
earlier today I re-installed -13.1 using the 64-bit version. It booted into
the generic kernel after I reset the softlinks in /boot and make a new
initrd.

   With the new RAM in place it has a panic attack when trying to boot:
immediately after listing all partitions it says that no filesystem can find
root. I can readily re-install the OS since I did nothing other than move
from the huge kernel to the generic kernel, reconfigure System.map, config,
and vmlinuz, edit /etc/lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo.

   Tomorrow I will re-install if there's not a graceful way to recover from
this new experience.

   BTW, are all 64-bit kernels smp-enabled? I don't see those as options in
/boot.

Rich
Rich Shepard | 2 Apr 15:05 2011

Re: Converted to 13.1/64-bit, Added more RAM, Cannot Boot. [SOLVED]

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  With the new RAM in place it has a panic attack when trying to boot:
> immediately after listing all partitions it says that no filesystem can find
> root. I can readily re-install the OS since I did nothing other than move
> from the huge kernel to the generic kernel, reconfigure System.map, config,
> and vmlinuz, edit /etc/lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo.

   I did not see this message returned to me as a list subscriber.
Regardless, I figured out my error: I neglected to add the initrd to the
kernel stanze in /etc/lilo.conf. Shame! Shame!

All fixed now,

Rich

Gmane