Rich Shepard | 2 Apr 20:50 2011

.rpm to .txz

   The Dell firmware upgrade system comes as RPM or DEB packages; some of the
software is available as source in their git repository.

   If I download the .rpm files, will the translator to .txz (or is it still
.tgz?) do a proper translation? Of course, I cannot use 'yum' or 'apt' but,
perhaps just the package tools. Should I build from source instead?

   This will be an effort to successfully upgrade the BIOS and I am totally
unfamiliar with all the inssues involved so I'd like to ensure it works to
the greatest extent I can.

   There are probably other owners of Dell servers, desktops, and laptops
who'd like to know about this, too. There are only a few models for which
this system will not work.

Rich
Gil Andre | 3 Apr 01:28 2011
Picon

Re: .rpm to .txz

Hey,

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 11:50:22 -0700 (PDT) Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    The Dell firmware upgrade system comes as RPM or DEB packages; some of the
> software is available as source in their git repository.
>
>    If I download the .rpm files, will the translator to .txz (or is it still
> .tgz?) do a proper translation? Of course, I cannot use 'yum' or 'apt' but,
> perhaps just the package tools. Should I build from source instead?

HINT:

There is a 'rpm' utility installed by default in Slackware:

bash-3.1$ which rpm
/bin/rpm

>    This will be an effort to successfully upgrade the BIOS and I am totally
> unfamiliar with all the inssues involved so I'd like to ensure it works to
> the greatest extent I can.

I bet there is a shell script of some sort of binary in the RPM.
Execute that and it should be able to upgrade your BIOS without
too much fuss. Just make sure you get the proper version for your
machine (32 or 64 bits).

>    There are probably other owners of Dell servers, desktops, and laptops
> who'd like to know about this, too. There are only a few models for which
> this system will not work.
(Continue reading)

Jostein Berntsen | 22 Jun 20:55 2011
Picon

Re: .rpm to .txz

On 02.04.11,11:50, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   The Dell firmware upgrade system comes as RPM or DEB packages; some of the
> software is available as source in their git repository.
>
>   If I download the .rpm files, will the translator to .txz (or is it still
> .tgz?) do a proper translation? Of course, I cannot use 'yum' or 'apt' but,
> perhaps just the package tools. Should I build from source instead?
>
>   This will be an effort to successfully upgrade the BIOS and I am totally
> unfamiliar with all the inssues involved so I'd like to ensure it works to
> the greatest extent I can.
>
>   There are probably other owners of Dell servers, desktops, and laptops
> who'd like to know about this, too. There are only a few models for which
> this system will not work.

Have you tried to use alien to convert to tgz format?

http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/alien/

Jostein
Vincent Batts | 22 Jun 21:00 2011
Picon

Re: .rpm to .txz

also, there is the saw-off shotgun approach already built-in to
slackware. See the rpm2tgz or rpm2targz commands.
<paste>
$> rpm2tgz
/usr/bin/rpm2tgz:  Converts RPM format to standard GNU tar + GNU zip format.
            (view converted packages with "less", install and remove
            with "installpkg", "removepkg", "pkgtool", or manually
            with "tar")

Usage:      /usr/bin/rpm2tgz [OPTION] <file.rpm>
            (Outputs "file.tgz")

  -s    extract the install scripts to /usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/
          for review.
  -S    extracts the install scripts to be executed on package installation
          (only pre-install and post-install scripts used)
          USE WITH CAUTION!
  -n    name the output package using the rpm's metadata
  -r    extract what the rpm's "requires" (dependencies)
          as documention to /usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/
  -d    attempt a wellformed slack-desc from the rpm meta data
  -c    reset all directory permissions to 755 and ownership to root:root.
</paste>

While these are typically used in the manor of inspecting a "src" rpm,
they sometimes can manage an RPM => TGZ translation. This is of course
with the disclaimer of: review the resulting .tgz first, and you are
doing it to your system, at your own risk

Take care,