Rich Shepard | 19 May 17:38 2011

Anyone here have expertise with xrandr?

   I'm trying to set the default screen resolution of my Dell laptop to it's
preferred 1440x900 from the current 1280x800, and I'm having difficulties.

   Someone local pointed me to
<http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-change-display-resolution-settings-using-xrandr.html>
and I followed those steps.

   Each invocation of xrandr reports it failed to find the gamma for the
default output. Then, at the last step it tells me also that "Configure crtc
0 failed."

   Both 1280x800 and 1440x900 are on the list of available resolutions now,
but I cannot change the default from the former.

   Please offer advice or point me to a source of xrandr expertise. Should I
try xorg.org?

TIA,

Rich
Vincent Batts | 19 May 17:54 2011
Picon

Re: Anyone here have expertise with xrandr?

also, don't forget

$> xrandr --auto
or
$> xrandr --output <display> --auto

where <display> is something like VGA1 or LVDS1
you can see them from doing,
$> xrandr --query

Take care,
vb
http://hashbangbash.com/

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>  I'm trying to set the default screen resolution of my Dell laptop to it's
> preferred 1440x900 from the current 1280x800, and I'm having difficulties.
>
>  Someone local pointed me to
> <http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-change-display-resolution-settings-using-xrandr.html>
> and I followed those steps.
>
>  Each invocation of xrandr reports it failed to find the gamma for the
> default output. Then, at the last step it tells me also that "Configure crtc
> 0 failed."
>
>  Both 1280x800 and 1440x900 are on the list of available resolutions now,
> but I cannot change the default from the former.
>
>  Please offer advice or point me to a source of xrandr expertise. Should I
(Continue reading)

Rich Shepard | 19 May 17:58 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Vincent Batts wrote:

> also, don't forget
>
> $> xrandr --auto
> or
> $> xrandr --output <display> --auto
>
> where <display> is something like VGA1 or LVDS1
> you can see them from doing,
> $> xrandr --query

Vincent,

   On the Dell, <display> is shown only as default. The --auto option makes
no difference, and I still see that xrandr failed to get size of gamma for
the default display.

   This is on 13.37/x86_64.

Thanks,

Rich
Koratsuki_Nijuuni | 19 May 20:15 2011
Picon

Re: Anyone here have expertise with xrandr?

Looking on the documentation[based on 1600x900, 1440x900, and 1024x768]:

Execute:
root <at> darkstar:# xrandr

Example Output:
<example>
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1440 x 900, maximum 4096 x 4096
VGA1 connected 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
408mm x 255mm
   1440x900       59.9*+
   1280x1024      75.0
   1152x864       75.0
   1024x768       75.1     60.0
   832x624        74.6
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   640x480        75.0     60.0
   720x400        70.1
</example>

*Where VGA1 is the display connected with the 1440x900 resolution.

Sometimes the best resolution for our monitor its not shown on the
properties and we have to force[nicely] xrandr to use the mode we like.
<example>
root <at> darkstar:# xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768 <at> 60 [you can change
the mode here]
</example>

Or using the cvt command on the terminal:
(Continue reading)

Rich Shepard | 19 May 20:24 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Koratsuki_Nijuuni wrote:

> Looking on the documentation[based on 1600x900, 1440x900, and 1024x768]:

   Yes, I read all this on the cited URL.

   On my machine there is no VGA1, or any other name for the display. It's
listed only as 'default.' I can repeat the results posted in my earlier
messages if you wish.

Rich
Srdjan Todorovic | 19 May 21:13 2011

On 19 May 2011 19:24, Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2011, Koratsuki_Nijuuni wrote:
>
>> Looking on the documentation[based on 1600x900, 1440x900, and 1024x768]:
>
>  Yes, I read all this on the cited URL.
>
>  On my machine there is no VGA1, or any other name for the display. It's
> listed only as 'default.' I can repeat the results posted in my earlier
> messages if you wish.

I don't think I've *ever* known of a Slackware user that's had more
trouble with Slackware than you.
Have you got bad hardware or something??

Either way, on Kubuntu here, xrandr is also saying "xrandr: Failed to
get size of gamma for output default", which probably can be ignored.
Setting resolutions is fine here.

There was some google result I saw that suggested turning off the edid
stuff from xorg. Maybe that helps?

Another thing I saw in google results is people having similar
problems because they are using the wrong kind of video driver.

Good luck!
Srdjan

Rich Shepard | 19 May 21:54 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Srdjan Todorovic wrote:

> Have you got bad hardware or something??

   Nope.

> Either way, on Kubuntu here, xrandr is also saying "xrandr: Failed to get
> size of gamma for output default", which probably can be ignored. Setting
> resolutions is fine here.

   I assume the failure to get gamma size can be ignored, but not the other
error.

> There was some google result I saw that suggested turning off the edid
> stuff from xorg. Maybe that helps?

   Well, there is no xorg.conf any longer. Setting resolutions in that never
gave a problem.

> Another thing I saw in google results is people having similar problems
> because they are using the wrong kind of video driver.

   Could be. This is an Intel-based box and there's a need to set no mode
when it boots in order to see anything on the console. At least, it used to
require that. There was (perhaps still is) a problem with certain Intel
drivers and the KMS (I think that's the acronym). Has nothing to do with
Slackware or any other distribution; it's the kernel and Intel.

   I'll leave this xrandr resolution issue for a bit until I get the BIOS
upgraded, then try again.
(Continue reading)

Koratsuki_Nijuuni | 19 May 21:39 2011
Picon

Re: Anyone here have expertise with xrandr?

Did you use xorgsetup to config your display options?

I use xrandr on the past and worked great to me. Can you give a more
detailed output of the problem?

Best regads.

--
/******************************************************
*Leslie León Sinclair

Participe en Universidad 2012, del 13 al 17 de febrero de 2012.
Habana, Cuba: http://www.congresouniversidad.cu
Consulte la enciclopedia colaborativa cubana. http://www.ecured.cu

Participe en el Segundo Congreso Medio Ambiente Construido y
Desarrollo Sustentable (MACDES 2011) del 6 al 9 de diciembre de 2011,
Hotel Nacional, Habana, Cuba: http://macdes.cujae.edu.cu
(Continue reading)

Rich Shepard | 19 May 21:58 2011

Re: Anyone here have expertise with xrandr?

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Koratsuki_Nijuuni wrote:

> Did you use xorgsetup to config your display options?

   No, I did not.

> I use xrandr on the past and worked great to me. Can you give a more
> detailed output of the problem?

   Later. I have some project work to get finished.

   As I explained in response to another message, there has been a problem
with the Intel driver shipped with the video chip used in the Dells and
certain kernel versions, or kernel tools. I had to append 'nomodeset' with
Slackware-13.1 or I could not even watch the system boot.

   The problem is not me or Slackware, but (to a large extent) the lack of
linux support by name builders such as Dell and Intel not ensuring their
drivers work with the latest kernel changes. Most of the Intel linux folks
work right here in Oregon, but they're constrained to do what the company
directs.

Rich
Rich Shepard | 20 May 15:32 2011

Re: Anyone here have expertise with xrandr?

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Koratsuki_Nijuuni wrote:

> Did you use xorgsetup to config your display options?

   I just did, with interesting results. Running xorgsetup creates
/etc/X11/xorg.conf without any screen resolutions defined. Regardless, the
presence of this file prevents the X server from starting. When I renamed it
to XXxorg.conf I was able to start X again.

> I use xrandr on the past and worked great to me. Can you give a more
> detailed output of the problem?

   I'm beginning to accept that apparently Dell sells this model (the
Latitude E5410) with two screen options: the WXGA at 1280x800dpi and the
WXGA+ at 1440x900dpi. Why I've no idea. When I configured my order I
probably went with the lower resolution either because I did not notice I
had to explicitly order the + version or because the price differential was
not worth it. Shrug.

   I can certainly live with 1280x800 on the laptop. I need to build all new
slackbuild packages and carefully understand how to use the BIOS upgrade
package so I can access all 8G RAM on this machine. Much more important than
a small increase in screen resolution.

Thanks,

Rich
Koratsuki_Nijuuni | 20 May 15:40 2011
Picon

Re: Anyone here have expertise with xrandr?

And did you edit/modify any setting on the Xorg? Long time ago, when I
was using VectorLinux, before meeting Slackware, I have to learn to
make, create, edit and reduce-to-obedience my xorg.conf, you know, with
hammer and anvil.

Try googling with your video card model for linux systems, to see if
someone have had the same problem and if solved it.

>   I just did, with interesting results. Running xorgsetup creates
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf without any screen resolutions defined. Regardless,
> the
> presence of this file prevents the X server from starting. When I
> renamed it
> to XXxorg.conf I was able to start X again.

Best regards.

/******************************************************
*Leslie León Sinclair
*Administrador de Redes
*Departamento de Telecomunicaciones
*Facultad de Ingenieria Electrica, CUJAE.
*Calle 114 #11901 e/ 119 y 127
*Marianao 19390, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
*Tel: (53 7) 266-3502
*Another happy Slackware & Debian GNU/Linux user
*Proud GNU/Linux User #445535
*http://counter.li.org/
*Katana yanai, otoko nanda.
(Continue reading)

Rich Shepard | 20 May 16:28 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011, Koratsuki_Nijuuni wrote:

> And did you edit/modify any setting on the Xorg?

   No, I did not. The presence of xorg.conf causes X to fail to invoke with
the message that no screen was found.

   In earlier times I had no problems editing xorg.conf to system specs.
Heck, in the mid- to late-1990s I had to manually edit mode lines to get
each monitor to work with X.

> Try googling with your video card model for linux systems, to see if someone
> have had the same problem and if solved it.

   This is what taught me about the incompatibilities of KMS and the Intel
video chip driver that requires the addition of 'nomodeset' in lilo.conf to
see anything on the console. Don't know if it's still needed, but it appears
to not harm anything by being present.

Thanks,

Rich
Koratsuki_Nijuuni | 20 May 18:04 2011
Picon

Re: Anyone here have expertise with xrandr?

Weird, real weird. Don´t know what to tell you.

Best regards.

--
/******************************************************
*Leslie León Sinclair
*Administrador de Redes
*Departamento de Telecomunicaciones
*Facultad de Ingenieria Electrica, CUJAE.
*Calle 114 #11901 e/ 119 y 127
*Marianao 19390, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
*Tel: (53 7) 266-3502
*Another happy Slackware & Debian GNU/Linux user
*Proud GNU/Linux User #445535
*http://counter.li.org/
*Katana yanai, otoko nanda.
*******************************************************/

Participe en Universidad 2012, del 13 al 17 de febrero de 2012.
Habana, Cuba: http://www.congresouniversidad.cu
Consulte la enciclopedia colaborativa cubana. http://www.ecured.cu

Participe en el Segundo Congreso Medio Ambiente Construido y
Desarrollo Sustentable (MACDES 2011) del 6 al 9 de diciembre de 2011,
Hotel Nacional, Habana, Cuba: http://macdes.cujae.edu.cu
Srdjan Todorovic | 20 May 19:02 2011

On 20 May 2011 15:28, Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2011, Koratsuki_Nijuuni wrote:
>
>> And did you edit/modify any setting on the Xorg?
>
>  No, I did not. The presence of xorg.conf causes X to fail to invoke with
> the message that no screen was found.

Well, did you add a screen?

I have an xorg.conf in Kubuntu - it only has a Screen, Device and
Module sections with minimal number of lines to add special options to
the default.

I don't think you have yet told us what video hardware you have.
If it's the same as my laptop, I can maybe paste the config it seems
to be using.

Regards,
Srdjan

Rich Shepard | 20 May 20:16 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011, Srdjan Todorovic wrote:

> Well, did you add a screen?

Srdjan,

   I tried that in the past with no success.

> I have an xorg.conf in Kubuntu - it only has a Screen, Device and Module
> sections with minimal number of lines to add special options to the
> default.

   I have an xorg.conf on this host running Slackware-13.1, but on the laptop
xorg.conf needs to be removed in order to run X.

> I don't think you have yet told us what video hardware you have. If it's
> the same as my laptop, I can maybe paste the config it seems to be using.

Chipset         Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
Graphics        Intel HD Graphics with dynamic frequency
Display Options 14.1" WXGA+ Anti-Glare LED Display (1440x900)
                 14.1" WXGA Anti-Glare LED Display (1280x800)

Thanks for the suggestion,

Rich

slackware <at> mailman.lug.org.uk
(Continue reading)

Srdjan Todorovic | 20 May 20:36 2011

On 20 May 2011 19:16, Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2011, Srdjan Todorovic wrote:

>> I have an xorg.conf in Kubuntu - it only has a Screen, Device and Module
>> sections with minimal number of lines to add special options to the
>> default.
>
>  I have an xorg.conf on this host running Slackware-13.1, but on the laptop
> xorg.conf needs to be removed in order to run X.

It's annoying that things are no longer using config files.

>> I don't think you have yet told us what video hardware you have. If it's
>> the same as my laptop, I can maybe paste the config it seems to be using.
>
> Chipset         Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
> Graphics        Intel HD Graphics with dynamic frequency
> Display Options 14.1" WXGA+ Anti-Glare LED Display (1440x900)
>                14.1" WXGA Anti-Glare LED Display (1280x800)

My laptop's graphics is Intel GM965, so it might not be exactly the
same as your driver.
Unfortunately, the config on the laptop is just some generic comment
that says it will be ignored.

My xorg.conf on my desktop on Kubuntu is only:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        DefaultDepth    24
(Continue reading)

Rich Shepard | 20 May 20:42 2011

Re: Anyone here have expertise with xrandr?

On Fri, 20 May 2011, Srdjan Todorovic wrote:

> It's annoying that things are no longer using config files.

Srdjan,

   I agree. Supposedly the software takes care of everything, but it doesn't
always work correctly.

> I might get a chance to try Slackware 13.37 this weekend - if so I'll try
> to play with the X config.

   The two issues for my Dell are the incompatibility with the KMS and Intel
driver and that I apparently ordered the lower resolution screen. So, I'll
live with the 1280x800 since that's certainly good enough on a 14.1"
diagonal laptop screen.

Many thanks,

Rich
Koratsuki_Nijuuni | 20 May 21:25 2011
Picon

Re: Anyone here have expertise with xrandr?

I truly hate when that happens, or when the config files changes between
systems. For example, when I use some config file in Debian and when I
paste it into Ubuntu, the whole system crashes, OMG! Makes me sick!!!