Rich Shepard | 16 Jun 18:41 2011

Pointer To Help Fixing Acroread on Multilib 13.37

   I followed the directions on modifying 13.37/x86_64 by adding the multilib
packages and the compat32 packages. This allowed me to install the latest
acroread on the portable. However, there's one problem that I don't know how
to fix.

   All the text on the acroread window are represented by vertical rectangles
rather than letters. I've no idea why. The downloaded file is for English (I
assume that's what the _enu means).

   I'd like pointers to a source of help in making this application readable.

Rich
Gil Andre | 16 Jun 20:03 2011
Picon

Re: Pointer To Help Fixing Acroread on Multilib 13.37

Rich,

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:41:51 -0700 (PDT) Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>    I followed the directions on modifying 13.37/x86_64 by adding the multilib
> packages and the compat32 packages. This allowed me to install the latest
> acroread on the portable. However, there's one problem that I don't know how
> to fix.
>
>    All the text on the acroread window are represented by vertical rectangles
> rather than letters. I've no idea why. The downloaded file is for English (I
> assume that's what the _enu means).
>
>    I'd like pointers to a source of help in making this application readable.

This sounds like a font problem.

Make sure you have all fonts installed on your system, including
the PostScript ones.

You can also check the fonts contained in the PDF file. And try
to open it under xpdf, of course.

Hope this helps!

Gil ANDRE				   gil [at] panix [dot] com
				andre [dot] g [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Evan Hisey | 16 Jun 20:25 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Gil Andre <andre.g <at> wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Rich,
>
>>    All the text on the acroread window are represented by vertical rectangles
>> rather than letters. I've no idea why. The downloaded file is for English (I
>> assume that's what the _enu means).
>>
>>    I'd like pointers to a source of help in making this application readable.
>
> This sounds like a font problem.
>
> Make sure you have all fonts installed on your system, including
> the PostScript ones.
>
> You can also check the fonts contained in the PDF file. And try
> to open it under xpdf, of course.
>
> Hope this helps!

Have you tried rerunning the pango setup? I ran in to the same issue
when building gnome 2.32 for Slackware and need to replace pango. I
can't remember the exact command but it should be in the one of the
rc.x files.

Evan
Rich Shepard | 16 Jun 21:38 2011

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, Evan Hisey wrote:

> Have you tried rerunning the pango setup? I ran in to the same issue when
> building gnome 2.32 for Slackware and need to replace pango. I can't
> remember the exact command but it should be in the one of the rc.x files.

Evan,

   No, I haven't. I'll take a look at what pango does and how it should be
re-run.

Thanks,

Rich
Rich Shepard | 16 Jun 21:37 2011

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, Gil Andre wrote:

> This sounds like a font problem.

Gil,

   Yes, it is. I think it's an X Window font issue; but it may not be since
no other application yet exhibits this issue.

> You can also check the fonts contained in the PDF file. And try to open it
> under xpdf, of course.

   It's not a pdf, but acroread itself.

Thanks,

Rich
Gil Andre | 16 Jun 23:36 2011

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:37:20 -0700 (PDT) Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> > This sounds like a font problem.
>    Yes, it is. I think it's an X Window font issue; but it may not be since
> no other application yet exhibits this issue.
>
> > You can also check the fonts contained in the PDF file. And try to open it
> > under xpdf, of course.
>
>    It's not a pdf, but acroread itself.

OK, that's different then. Try using 'lsof' and 'ldd' and see
what the acrobat reader is trying to access as far as fonts are
concerned.

Sorry about my mistake, I thought you were talking about a PDF
file opened under Acrobat Reader.

Gil ANDRE				   gil [at] panix [dot] com
				andre [dot] g [at] wanadoo [dot] fr
"Il faut beaucoup philosopher, il faut beaucoup penser. Celui qui
pense peu se trompe beaucoup". Leonard de Vinci.
Gil Andre | 16 Jun 23:47 2011
Picon

Re: Pointer To Help Fixing Acroread on Multilib 13.37

Replying to myself:

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 23:36:15 +0200 Gil Andre <andre.g <at> wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> > > This sounds like a font problem.
> >    Yes, it is. I think it's an X Window font issue; but it may not be since
> > no other application yet exhibits this issue.
> > > You can also check the fonts contained in the PDF file. And try to open it
> > > under xpdf, of course.
> >
> >    It's not a pdf, but acroread itself.
>
> OK, that's different then. Try using 'lsof' and 'ldd' and see
> what the acrobat reader is trying to access as far as fonts are
> concerned.

What you can also try is 'xlsfonts': this small utility will
display all fonts installed within your X11 system.

Hint: there are many ''adobe'' fonts installed on my system
here, and something tells me you may fint a couple are missing
from your installation...

Hope this helps!

Gil ANDRE				   gil [at] panix [dot] com
				andre [dot] g [at] wanadoo [dot] fr
"Il faut beaucoup philosopher, il faut beaucoup penser. Celui qui
(Continue reading)

Rich Shepard | 16 Jun 23:57 2011

Re: Pointer To Help Fixing Acroread on Multilib 13.37

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, Gil Andre wrote:

> OK, that's different then. Try using 'lsof' and 'ldd' and see what the
> acrobat reader is trying to access as far as fonts are concerned.

Gil,

   Using ldd leads me to believe that my installation of Eric's multilib and
compat32 libraries is flawed. When I try 'ldd /usr/bin/acroread' the system
tells me it's not a dynamic executable. That file is a link to
/opt/Adobe/Reader9/bin/acroread, and looking directly for the libraries that
/requires produces the same result. Acroread is a 32-bit application; it
loads, but does not properly display menu fonts.

   I need to fix this problem with installing and running 32-bit apps quickly
as I leave early Sunday morning for a business meeting.

Thanks,

Rich
Jostein Berntsen | 22 Jun 20:47 2011

On 16.06.11,14:57, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, Gil Andre wrote:
>
> >OK, that's different then. Try using 'lsof' and 'ldd' and see what the
> >acrobat reader is trying to access as far as fonts are concerned.
>
> Gil,
>
>   Using ldd leads me to believe that my installation of Eric's multilib and
> compat32 libraries is flawed. When I try 'ldd /usr/bin/acroread' the system
> tells me it's not a dynamic executable. That file is a link to
> /opt/Adobe/Reader9/bin/acroread, and looking directly for the libraries that
> /requires produces the same result. Acroread is a 32-bit application; it
> loads, but does not properly display menu fonts.
>
>   I need to fix this problem with installing and running 32-bit apps quickly
> as I leave early Sunday morning for a business meeting.

If you have done an update of Slackware and the glibc packages it might
have removed Alien's multilib glibc packages. Try to upgrade again to
the multilib glibc packages.

You can also do this:

cd /etc/pango/i486-slackware-linux
pango-querymodules > pango.modules

Jostein
(Continue reading)

Rich Shepard | 22 Jun 20:58 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Jostein Berntsen wrote:

> If you have done an update of Slackware and the glibc packages it might
> have removed Alien's multilib glibc packages. Try to upgrade again to the
> multilib glibc packages.

Jostein,

   This issue arose when I tried to install and run acroread from the Adobe
download. Using the acrobat-reader SlackBuild script solved the problem. Why
that worked and the direct installation didn't will forever remain a mystery
as acroread is working now and that's what matters.

Thanks,

Rich

Gmane