Rich Shepard | 22 Jun 20:28 2011

Running wicd-client on 13.37/x86_64

   On my recent trip I discovered that I had not installed wicd from the
/extra directory. I'm now trying to run it, but without success.

   After installing I tried 'wicd-client -n' but see the message,

"Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error
messages."

   I checked, and there's nothing in /var/log/wicd/ other than the
.empty-on-purpose file.

   There were no problems running wicd on 13.1/386 so I'd appreciate learning
what I have missed here.

Rich
Srdjan Todorovic | 22 Jun 20:33 2011

Re: Running wicd-client on 13.37/x86_64

Hi,

On 22 June 2011 19:28, Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>  On my recent trip I discovered that I had not installed wicd from the
> /extra directory. I'm now trying to run it, but without success.
>
>  After installing I tried 'wicd-client -n' but see the message,
>
> "Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error
> messages."

I've not really done much with D-Bus, but the only suggestion I have
at this time is to restart the d-bus stuff on your machine.

Given you have a wicd-client, does that mean you also have a
wicd-daemon (that isn't running) ? *shrugs*

Regards,
Srdjan

Rich Shepard | 22 Jun 20:52 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Srdjan Todorovic wrote:

> Given you have a wicd-client, does that mean you also have a wicd-daemon
> (that isn't running) ? *shrugs*

Srdjan,

   Sigh. I had not run '/etc/rc.d/rc.wicd start'. That lead me to add my
username to the netdev group. I still have an issue, but I'll try logging
back in.

Thanks,

Rich
Jostein Berntsen | 22 Jun 20:41 2011
Picon

On 22.06.11,11:28, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   On my recent trip I discovered that I had not installed wicd from the
> /extra directory. I'm now trying to run it, but without success.
>
>   After installing I tried 'wicd-client -n' but see the message,
>
> "Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error
> messages."
>
>   I checked, and there's nothing in /var/log/wicd/ other than the
> .empty-on-purpose file.
>
>   There were no problems running wicd on 13.1/386 so I'd appreciate learning
> what I have missed here.

You might have to start the wicd daemon first. Run "wicd" as root, and
then "wicd-client -n" as user. You can also run "wicd-curses" in the
console.

Jostein
Rich Shepard | 22 Jun 20:55 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Jostein Berntsen wrote:

> You might have to start the wicd daemon first. Run "wicd" as root, and
> then "wicd-client -n" as user. You can also run "wicd-curses" in the
> console.

Jostein,

   I'm still getting the suggestion to add my user to the netdev group. As
soon as the patches finish downloading I'll try logging out and back in to
see if that clears the situation.

Thanks,

Rich
Jostein Berntsen | 22 Jun 23:00 2011
Picon

On 22.06.11,11:55, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Jostein Berntsen wrote:
>
> >You might have to start the wicd daemon first. Run "wicd" as root, and
> >then "wicd-client -n" as user. You can also run "wicd-curses" in the
> >console.
>
> Jostein,
>
>   I'm still getting the suggestion to add my user to the netdev group. As
> soon as the patches finish downloading I'll try logging out and back in to
> see if that clears the situation.

You might have to reboot to make the changes take full effect.

You can also try this command: usermod -a -G netdev <youruser>

Jostein
Rich Shepard | 22 Jun 23:08 2011

Re: Running wicd-client on 13.37/x86_64

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Jostein Berntsen wrote:

> You might have to reboot to make the changes take full effect.

   So I discovered. I'll boot it again later today to test it.

> You can also try this command: usermod -a -G netdev <youruser>

   Good to know.

Thanks,

Rich
Tom | 22 Jun 21:54 2011
Picon

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:28:04AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   On my recent trip I discovered that I had not installed wicd from the
> /extra directory. I'm now trying to run it, but without success.
>
>   After installing I tried 'wicd-client -n' but see the message,
>
> "Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error
> messages."
>
>   I checked, and there's nothing in /var/log/wicd/ other than the
> .empty-on-purpose file.
>
>   There were no problems running wicd on 13.1/386 so I'd appreciate learning
> what I have missed here.
>
> Rich

I think you may have to belong to dialout group at least I had same
problem I added me to that group and restarted daemon and now it works
on 13.37

Tom
Rich Shepard | 22 Jun 23:09 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Tom wrote:

> I think you may have to belong to dialout group at least I had same
> problem I added me to that group and restarted daemon and now it works on
> 13.37

Tom,

   There's a good thought. Thank you.

Rich
Srdjan Todorovic | 22 Jun 22:56 2011

Re: Running wicd-client on 13.37/x86_64

Hi,

On 22 June 2011 19:28, Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>  On my recent trip I discovered that I had not installed wicd from the
> /extra directory. I'm now trying to run it, but without success.

I am curious why you installed wicd. I'm not saying there's anything
bad about it.
It's just that I've always used k3b + cdrecord / mkisofs, and these
always work for me.

What's the advantage of choosing wicd?
Is it better than the older system of burning DVDs?

Regards,
Srdjan

Rich Shepard | 22 Jun 23:11 2011

Re: Running wicd-client on 13.37/x86_64

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Srdjan Todorovic wrote:

> I am curious why you installed wicd. I'm not saying there's anything bad
> about it. It's just that I've always used k3b + cdrecord / mkisofs, and
> these always work for me.

> What's the advantage of choosing wicd?
> Is it better than the older system of burning DVDs?

Srdjan,

   First, I don't run KDE; I've been using Xfce forever. Second, wicd is a
network connection tool that I need to enable the wireless capability to
find and attach to local WiFi access points when I'm traveling.

   For burning cds (I've not done dvds yet) I, too, use xcdroast or
cdrecord/mkisofs.

Rich
Srdjan Todorovic | 22 Jun 23:17 2011

On 22 June 2011 22:11, Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Srdjan Todorovic wrote:

>> What's the advantage of choosing wicd?
>> Is it better than the older system of burning DVDs?

>  First, I don't run KDE; I've been using Xfce forever. Second, wicd is a

You don't need to run KDE to run KDE applications.

> network connection tool that I need to enable the wireless capability to
> find and attach to local WiFi access points when I'm traveling.
>
>  For burning cds (I've not done dvds yet) I, too, use xcdroast or
> cdrecord/mkisofs.

Hah, well I just embarrassed myself then ;)
It's late in the day and I misread and misunderstood your email, so
apologies for that.
I could have sworn there was a "new" cd burning tool with a
semi-similar name - ah yes "wodim".

Best of luck sorting out the wicd issue.

Regards,
Srdjan

Rich Shepard | 23 Jun 00:20 2011

Re: Running wicd-client on 13.37/x86_64 [SOLVED]

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Rich Shepard wrote:

> "Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error
> messages."

   Added user me to the netdev group and rebooted. Per Tom's suggestion I
added myself to the dialout group, too. Probably because of the netdev group
membership, wicd-client now pops right up and shows both my wired and
wireless networks as well as those wireless APs of several neighbors.

Thanks, all!

Rich
Dan C | 23 Jun 02:57 2011
Picon

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:20:28 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> "Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for
>> error messages."
>
>    Added user me to the netdev group and rebooted. Per Tom's suggestion
> added myself to the dialout group, too. Probably because of the netdev
> group membership, wicd-client now pops right up and shows both my wired
> and wireless networks as well as those wireless APs of several
> neighbors.

With any new release, it's always a good idea to read the "CHANGES_AND_HINTS" file.  It's quite clearly
explained in there.  Here's a link to it for your reading enjoyment:

http://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/slackware/slackware-13.37/CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he descended down into Shayol Ghul.
Rich Shepard | 23 Jun 03:00 2011

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Dan C wrote:

> With any new release, it's always a good idea to read the
> "CHANGES_AND_HINTS" file.

   I do. I also read the UPGRADE.TXT file.

Rich
Dan C | 23 Jun 05:10 2011
Picon

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 18:00:13 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Dan C wrote:
>
>> With any new release, it's always a good idea to read the
>> "CHANGES_AND_HINTS" file.
>
>    I do. I also read the UPGRADE.TXT file.

Hmmmm.... Could you please explain, then, how you didn't realize that
your user name needed to be in the 'netdev' group for 'wicd' to work?

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he lay back and lit Piglet's cigarette.
Ottavio Caruso | 23 Jun 13:57 2011
Picon

On 23 June 2011 04:10, Dan C <DanC402 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 18:00:13 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Dan C wrote:
> >
> >> With any new release, it's always a good idea to read the
> >> "CHANGES_AND_HINTS" file.
> >
> >    I do. I also read the UPGRADE.TXT file.
>
> Hmmmm.... Could you please explain, then, how you didn't realize that
> your user name needed to be in the 'netdev' group for 'wicd' to work?

Don't be stupid, this mailing list is no place for trolling. Go back
to your bridge!

Ottavio

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:57:26 +0100, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

> On 23 June 2011 04:10, Dan C <DanC402 <at> gmail.com> wrote:

>> >    I do. I also read the UPGRADE.TXT file.
>>
>> Hmmmm.... Could you please explain, then, how you didn't realize that
>> your user name needed to be in the 'netdev' group for 'wicd' to work?
>>

> Don't be stupid, this mailing list is no place for trolling. Go back to
> your bridge!

Trolling?  What?

I asked him how, if he indeed read the HINTS file as claimed, he didn't
know why 'wicd' wasn't working.  What's "trolling" about that?  Does his
statement make sense to you?

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he stuck a pin in Hillary's implants.
(Continue reading)

Gwenhwyfaer | 23 Jun 19:45 2011
Picon

On 23/06/2011, Dan C <DanC402 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:57:26 +0100, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

>>> Hmmmm.... Could you please explain, then, how you didn't realize that
>>> your user name needed to be in the 'netdev' group for 'wicd' to work?
>>>

>> Don't be stupid, this mailing list is no place for trolling. Go back to
>> your bridge!
>
> Trolling?  What?
>
> I asked him how, if he indeed read the HINTS file as claimed, he didn't
> know why 'wicd' wasn't working.  What's "trolling" about that?  Does his
> statement make sense to you?
> --
> "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
> "Bother!" said Pooh, as he stuck a pin in Hillary's implants.
(Continue reading)

Dan C | 23 Jun 21:06 2011
Picon