Rich Shepard | 2 Aug 22:10 2011

Recovering With Slackware from Slackpkg Upgrade

   Just before leaving for a client meeting this morning I ran 'slackpkg
update; slackpkg upgrade-all' on my portable running Slackware64-13.37.
Kernel packages were upgraded, too. At the end of the process I was asked if
I wanted the script to run lilo for me; I answered 'y'; waited for the shell
prompt, shut down, and headed to my meeting.

   At the meeting the LILO boot screen displayed, along with a message that
the kernel was too big (I didn't write it all down as it was inappropriate),
but when I tried to continue, nothing happened. Since then when I turn on
the power I don't see even the LILO boot screen.

   I assume that that /boot has the new huge kernel as vmlinuz and
/etc/lilo.conf has something different. Is there a way to use the Slackware
distribution disk, or something I can copy on a USB flash drive from my
server/workstation (running 32-bit 13.1) to boot and correc the problem on
the portable?

   If not, I suppose that I need to get a knoppix or ubuntu boot disk and
work from that. I've not before let a script change lilo.conf or the
softlinks in /boot; now I know to not do so in the future.

Rich
Ottavio | 2 Aug 22:25 2011
Picon

Re: Recovering With Slackware from Slackpkg Upgrade

On 2 August 2011 21:10, Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>  Just before leaving for a client meeting this morning I ran 'slackpkg
> update; slackpkg upgrade-all' on my portable running Slackware64-13.37.
> Kernel packages were upgraded, too. At the end of the process I was asked if
> I wanted the script to run lilo for me; I answered 'y'; waited for the shell
> prompt, shut down, and headed to my meeting.
>
>  At the meeting the LILO boot screen displayed, along with a message that
> the kernel was too big (I didn't write it all down as it was inappropriate),
> but when I tried to continue, nothing happened. Since then when I turn on
> the power I don't see even the LILO boot screen.
>
>  I assume that that /boot has the new huge kernel as vmlinuz and
> /etc/lilo.conf has something different. Is there a way to use the Slackware
> distribution disk, or something I can copy on a USB flash drive from my
> server/workstation (running 32-bit 13.1) to boot and correc the problem on
> the portable?
>
>  If not, I suppose that I need to get a knoppix or ubuntu boot disk and
> work from that. I've not before let a script change lilo.conf or the
> softlinks in /boot; now I know to not do so in the future.

Check my previous thread "System unbootable after kernel update" on
this mailing list (22 march). Eventually I solved it by booting from
Slackware installation CD and rerunning pkgtool.

Ottavio

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
(Continue reading)

Rich Shepard | 2 Aug 22:38 2011

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Ottavio wrote:

> Check my previous thread "System unbootable after kernel update" on this
> mailing list (22 march). Eventually I solved it by booting from Slackware
> installation CD and rerunning pkgtool.

Ottavio,

   I'll certainly read the thread and follow what worked for you. Thank you
very much.

Rich
Jostein Berntsen | 2 Aug 22:34 2011

On 02.08.11,13:10, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Just before leaving for a client meeting this morning I ran 'slackpkg
> update; slackpkg upgrade-all' on my portable running Slackware64-13.37.
> Kernel packages were upgraded, too. At the end of the process I was asked if
> I wanted the script to run lilo for me; I answered 'y'; waited for the shell
> prompt, shut down, and headed to my meeting.
>
>   At the meeting the LILO boot screen displayed, along with a message that
> the kernel was too big (I didn't write it all down as it was inappropriate),
> but when I tried to continue, nothing happened. Since then when I turn on
> the power I don't see even the LILO boot screen.
>
>   I assume that that /boot has the new huge kernel as vmlinuz and
> /etc/lilo.conf has something different. Is there a way to use the Slackware
> distribution disk, or something I can copy on a USB flash drive from my
> server/workstation (running 32-bit 13.1) to boot and correc the problem on
> the portable?
>
>   If not, I suppose that I need to get a knoppix or ubuntu boot disk and
> work from that. I've not before let a script change lilo.conf or the
> softlinks in /boot; now I know to not do so in the future.

You can do this if you have the Slackware distribution disk:

http://blog.tpa.me.uk/2009/09/29/re-installing-lilo-from-a-slackware-boot-cd/

Then try to run mkinitrd before you reboot.

(Continue reading)

Rich Shepard | 2 Aug 22:40 2011

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Jostein Berntsen wrote:

> You can do this if you have the Slackware distribution disk:
>
> http://blog.tpa.me.uk/2009/09/29/re-installing-lilo-from-a-slackware-boot-cd/
>
> Then try to run mkinitrd before you reboot.
>
> You can also check if the symlink to the kernel is correct as suggested at the
> end of this article:
>
> http://www.basicconfig.com/linux/slackpkg

Jostein,

   This looks worth doing before Ottavio's approach.

   Thank you both. I'll let you know results tomorrow.

Rich
Ottavio | 2 Aug 22:54 2011

On 2 August 2011 21:40, Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> Jostein,
>
>  This looks worth doing before Ottavio's approach.

Now I feel discriminated...

Ottavio