Picon

Version considerations

Dear slackfolk,

I am sorry if this is a bit vague, but -
I have used Slackware as my main OS since 10.0. With 13.37, it
introduced a kernel with which suspend stopped working on my Thinkpad
T40P (or rather, resume stopped working, but you know). It died and I
got an X32 which does the same. The most recent Slackware will not
suspend correctly, and this goes for every current Linux distribution on
that laptop. I have seen some pointers to working around that problem,
but I have found nothing that seems to solve it.
Lately, I have been using Fedora 16 with Lxde. It is practical in so
many ways, but sometimes, removing something I installed will blow away
a standard library, so the automagical functions will cripple my
system. Since not experiencing that kind of breakage is a major argument
for running Slackware, I confess I am feeling homesick.
Now, if I was to roll back in the versions, I would expect to run into
some conflicts. This machine is my all-round computer, and I use:
* LibreOffice
* Abiword
* Focuswriter
* Claws Mail
* Inkscape
* Filezilla
* Medit
* Transmission
* Xfce or Lxde
* LyX
* poEdit
* Umplayer
* Scribus
(Continue reading)

Rich Shepard | 27 Jan 22:59 2012

Re: Version considerations

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejer wrote:

> The most recent Slackware will not suspend correctly, and this goes for
> every current Linux distribution on that laptop.

Morten,

   Would building a custom kernel allow you to enable whatever is missing in
the default kernel? Or, is it a coding issue in the module itself?

   I have always shut down my portables when done for a while. If I close the
top on my Dell Latitude it does seem to suspend and a quick push on the
power button when I open the top brings it back to life. This is running
13.37.

Rich
Picon

Re: Version considerations

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:59:18 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard <at> appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejer wrote:
>
> > The most recent Slackware will not suspend correctly, and this goes
> > for every current Linux distribution on that laptop.
>
> Morten,
>
>    Would building a custom kernel allow you to enable whatever is
> missing in the default kernel? Or, is it a coding issue in the module
> itself?

Thank you for your response.
I have actually considered this, but I am also not sure what the actual
results would be of only downgrading the kernel.
What is compiled against the kernel? I mean, otherwise there would be
no issue with simply installing the kernel packages of previous
versions.

>    I have always shut down my portables when done for a while. If I
> close the top on my Dell Latitude it does seem to suspend and a quick
> push on the power button when I open the top brings it back to life.
> This is running 13.37.

I usually turn off my machine as well, but I started using suspend when
changing trains on the New York subway... and now it is part of how I
work. Currently, nothing will bring back my machine from the suspended
state.
(Continue reading)

Rich Shepard | 27 Jan 23:32 2012

Re: Version considerations

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejer wrote:

> I have actually considered this, but I am also not sure what the actual
> results would be of only downgrading the kernel. What is compiled against
> the kernel? I mean, otherwise there would be no issue with simply
> installing the kernel packages of previous versions.

Morten,

   As far as I know, the kernel is compiled with the current version of gcc
and the libraries. You'll not be able to run a previous kernel with the
current kernel libraries unless you rebuild from that kernel's source.

> I usually turn off my machine as well, but I started using suspend when
> changing trains on the New York subway... and now it is part of how I
> work. Currently, nothing will bring back my machine from the suspended
> state.

   Well, that's the New York subway system for you. :-)

   I suspect you have a hardware issue with your laptop and current kernels
or modules. I know that my Dell Latitude E5410 needs to have
'append=nomodeset' in lilo.conf or I see nothing after the POST when it
boots. That's a problem with the kernal driver for the Intel video chip and
affects all machines using that chip. And Intel has great support of linux;
many of their linux experts are active in the local linux/UNIX group.

   Have you searched the Web for others reporting the same issue? There may
be a work-around until the broken code is patched.

(Continue reading)

John Crowhurst | 27 Jan 23:25 2012
Picon

Re: Version considerations

On 27/01/2012 21:51, Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejer wrote:
> Dear slackfolk,
>
> I am sorry if this is a bit vague, but -
> I have used Slackware as my main OS since 10.0. With 13.37, it
> introduced a kernel with which suspend stopped working on my Thinkpad
> T40P (or rather, resume stopped working, but you know). It died and I
> got an X32 which does the same. The most recent Slackware will not
> suspend correctly, and this goes for every current Linux distribution on
> that laptop. I have seen some pointers to working around that problem,
> but I have found nothing that seems to solve it.

Have you tried nomodeset on the same line as vga= in the lilo.conf file?

so if vga=123 you put:

vga=123 nomodeset

then run lilo to install the lilo into the boot loader.

If that is the solution it would save having to mess about with
compiling a new kernel.

Best,

John
David Woodfall | 27 Jan 23:51 2012
Picon

Re: Version considerations

On (22:51 27/01/12), Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejer <mjjzf <at> syntaktisk.dk> put forth the proposition:
>Dear slackfolk,
>
>I am sorry if this is a bit vague, but -
>I have used Slackware as my main OS since 10.0. With 13.37, it
>introduced a kernel with which suspend stopped working on my Thinkpad
>T40P (or rather, resume stopped working, but you know). It died and I
>got an X32 which does the same. The most recent Slackware will not
>suspend correctly, and this goes for every current Linux distribution on
>that laptop. I have seen some pointers to working around that problem,
>but I have found nothing that seems to solve it.

First, have you tried a basic command to hibernate/suspend to see if
it will resume?

echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk
echo disk > /sys/power/state

(The first command isn't always needed but it helps solve machines
that file to properly power off).

If it doesn't then resume, can you post your /etc/lilo.conf please?

D.