Rich Shepard | 3 Mar 18:31 2012

New Installation: Missing Module 'fbdev'

   I've installed 13.37/x86_64 on my friend's new Sony laptop and need to
configure it for her and get the wireless networking running.

   First, when logged in as her I try 'startxfce4' and am told the module
fbdev is not found. That looks like a framebuffer device; no?

   'modprobe fbdev' doesn't solve the problem.

   Please point me to a resource where I can read how to get xfce4 working
and where to configure booting into the GUI (which one I don't care). After
this I'll work on the networking.

TIA,

Rich
Rich Shepard | 3 Mar 22:55 2012

Re: New Installation: Missing Module 'fbdev' [FIXED]

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  First, when logged in as her I try 'startxfce4' and am told the module
> fbdev is not found. That looks like a framebuffer device; no?

   Fixed!

   Now to install wicd and get the wireless networking working.

Rich
Bengt Richter | 3 Mar 23:33 2012
Picon

On 03/03/2012 01:55 PM Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Mar 2012, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>>   First, when logged in as her I try 'startxfce4' and am told the module
>> fbdev is not found. That looks like a framebuffer device; no?
>     Fixed!

Gonna let us in on what happened? ;-)

>     Now to install wicd and get the wireless networking working.
>
> Rich

Rich Shepard | 3 Mar 23:39 2012

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012, Bengt Richter wrote:

> Gonna let us in on what happened? ;-)

Bengt,

   OK. I copied (and edited) root's .xinitrc and changed ownership on
directories and files. I had her /home/ directory copied from the old
portable and used that instead of running useradd. Had to fix a few things,
but having a working ~/.xinitrc seems to have done the trick.

Rich
x y | 4 Mar 03:10 2012
Picon

On 03/03/2012 09:31 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I've installed 13.37/x86_64 on my friend's new Sony laptop and need to
> configure it for her and get the wireless networking running.
>
>   First, when logged in as her I try 'startxfce4' and am told the module
> fbdev is not found. That looks like a framebuffer device; no?
>
>   'modprobe fbdev' doesn't solve the problem.
>
>   Please point me to a resource where I can read how to get xfce4 working
> and where to configure booting into the GUI (which one I don't care).
> After
> this I'll work on the networking.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rich
I'm coming in late on this one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but on 32 bit
machines, all I do is run as root xorgsetup and answer the questions. It
should set up your lappy properly with an X server provided your 64 bit
setup has the script installed.

Phil

/dev/rob0 | 4 Mar 03:59 2012
Picon

On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 06:10:13PM -0800, x y wrote:
> I'm coming in late on this one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but

Probably so (wrong).

> on 32 bit machines, all I do is run as root xorgsetup and
> answer the questions. It should set up your lappy properly with

Generally not necessary for recent hardware. Automatic detection
works pretty well for X on most hardware. (Not sure if "recent"
matters or not, TBH.)

> an X server provided your 64 bit setup has the script installed.

It does. Yes, xorgconfig works, but try without it first.

Srdjan Todorovic | 4 Mar 11:37 2012

On 4 March 2012 02:59, /dev/rob0 <rob0 <at> gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> Generally not necessary for recent hardware. Automatic detection
> works pretty well for X on most hardware. (Not sure if "recent"
> matters or not, TBH.)

+1 on this. I run Kubuntu, with the Nvidia binary driver, and it has
somehow detected this even when the x.org config file is blank. I
would think that this would also apply to Slackware, given a
recent-enough Xorg install.

In a previous version of Kubuntu, I did need to have a partial config
file to specify just a few things that were not being properly
auto-detected; this file is as below:

      Section "Screen"
            Identifier      "Default Screen"
            DefaultDepth    24
      EndSection

      Section "Module"
            Load    "glx"
      EndSection

      Section "Device"
           Identifier      "Default Device"
           Driver  "nvidia"
           Option  "NoLogo"        "True"
     EndSection

You could take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see why it's not
(Continue reading)

/dev/rob0 | 4 Mar 14:12 2012
Picon

Re: New Installation: Missing Module 'fbdev'

On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:37:42AM +0000,
   Srdjan Todorovic wrote:
> You could take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see why it's
> not loading up the display / fbdev driver.

Rich's problem is solved, IIUC.

> I would also check lsmod and dmesg to verify that the fbdev
> driver did in fact load up correctly.

No, "fbdev" is the name of the X.org driver, not the Linux kernel
driver. There are numerous Linux kernel framebuffer drivers, from
vesafb for any VESA-compliant adapter, to hardware-specific drivers
for many different adapters.

http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6/doc/man/man4/fbdev.4.xhtml

Note that this man page is not available in Slackware 13.x. The
x/xf86-video-fbdev package was removed in the 13.0 development
period, in a huge overhaul on Wed Jun 10 13:23:30 CDT 2009. The
ChangeLog.txt only says "Removed" without explanation. It seems
Slackware no longer has this driver. From my own Xorg.0.log on a
13.1-32bit:

(II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
(II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)

Interestingly enough, my own netbook, growing long in the tooth,