Insomniac | 11 Mar 08:29 2012
X-Face

Not staying installed correctly... (kinda long)

Hi folks,

  Got a DVD of 13.37 Friday (Thanks, Rich!!) about noon and proceeded to install it on my 
second hdd until about 11PM that night (minus maybe two hours in between for lunch and 
whatever).

  Here's basically what happens every time I install:

First off, I startx works for about 10 seconds, whether root or user then drops back to 
the console (or whatever it's called). This happens whether I install the whole works or 
do an install where I can pick all the packages I want and don't want.

If I want 'startx' to work (I always install kde to use btw), after I do the first reboot 
after the installation, I install the nvidia .sh that I have in my opensuse hdd (I was 
able to boot back into my opensuse hdd and open a dolphin file manager in root mode and 
copied a slew of stuff over to the /home partition of the Slackware hdd). Once that's 
installed, I can then switch to user and 'startx' and I'm in kde.

Everything works fine, no hiccups, burps, nothing going wrong until I need to go back to 
my opensuse for whatever reason and then as soon as I try to copy something from the 
opensuse hdd to the /home of the Slackware hdd, it can't do it. Dolphin shows a small 
message at the bottom about 'mount: mount point swap does not exist' on the Slackware hdd.

Sooo...I log out of opensuse and boot into Slackware hdd to see what's going on and I get 
a kernel panic. It's this last part that happens, every, single time I log out of 
Slackware and then try to log back in.:

<skip a whole bunch of bootup stuff>
kernel panic - not syncing: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

(Continue reading)

zux | 11 Mar 09:39 2012
Picon

Re: Not staying installed correctly... (kinda long)

i would consider checking the hdd or cables, there is a big chance that 
something is broken.

if you could boot and did nothing to the hdd and it can't boot now, then 
there is probably something wrong with the hdd.

what boot manager are you using? if it's suse's, might it be that it's 
looking for init on the wrong hdd?
other reasons for init to get lost is if the controller module is 
missing or filesystem

On 03/11/2012 09:29 AM, Insomniac wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>    Got a DVD of 13.37 Friday (Thanks, Rich!!) about noon and proceeded to install it on my
> second hdd until about 11PM that night (minus maybe two hours in between for lunch and
> whatever).
>
>    Here's basically what happens every time I install:
>
> First off, I startx works for about 10 seconds, whether root or user then drops back to
> the console (or whatever it's called). This happens whether I install the whole works or
> do an install where I can pick all the packages I want and don't want.
>
> If I want 'startx' to work (I always install kde to use btw), after I do the first reboot
> after the installation, I install the nvidia .sh that I have in my opensuse hdd (I was
> able to boot back into my opensuse hdd and open a dolphin file manager in root mode and
> copied a slew of stuff over to the /home partition of the Slackware hdd). Once that's
> installed, I can then switch to user and 'startx' and I'm in kde.
>
(Continue reading)

Insomniac | 11 Mar 13:32 2012
X-Face

Re: Not staying installed correctly... (kinda long) -possibly solved

On Sunday, March 11, 2012 03:39 zux wrote:

> On 03/11/2012 09:29 AM, Insomniac wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> > 
> >    Got a DVD of 13.37 Friday (Thanks, Rich!!) about noon and proceeded to
> >    install it on my
> > 
> > second hdd until about 11PM that night (minus maybe two hours in between
> > for lunch and whatever).
> > 
> >    Here's basically what happens every time I install:
> > First off, I startx works for about 10 seconds, whether root or user then
> > drops back to the console (or whatever it's called). This happens
> > whether I install the whole works or do an install where I can pick all
> > the packages I want and don't want.
> > 
> > If I want 'startx' to work (I always install kde to use btw), after I do
> > the first reboot after the installation, I install the nvidia .sh that I
> > have in my opensuse hdd (I was able to boot back into my opensuse hdd
> > and open a dolphin file manager in root mode and copied a slew of stuff
> > over to the /home partition of the Slackware hdd). Once that's
> > installed, I can then switch to user and 'startx' and I'm in kde.
> > 
> > Everything works fine, no hiccups, burps, nothing going wrong until I
> > need to go back to my opensuse for whatever reason and then as soon as I
> > try to copy something from the opensuse hdd to the /home of the
> > Slackware hdd, it can't do it. Dolphin shows a small message at the
> > bottom about 'mount: mount point swap does not exist' on the Slackware
> > hdd.
(Continue reading)

Bradley D. Thornton | 11 Mar 18:43 2012
Picon

Re: Not staying installed correctly... (kinda long) -possibly solved


On 03/11/2012 05:32 AM, Insomniac wrote:

> to boot again into my opensuse, I was unplugging the opensuse hdd from the MOBO and 
> switching the boot sequence in the BIOS so that the secondary hdd was the only hdd to boot 
> after the CDROM. Apparently this messes things up somewhere, somehow.

So you were leaving out the most relevant parts?

> 
>   Looks like I'm going to have to make sure my backup of my main hdd is as up-to-date as I 
> need and try the installation with both hdd's plugged in and hope I can make YaST get the 
> boot sequence thing right (at least until I'm able to work a while with Slackware and see 
> if I end up liking it better, and then who knows what may happen, heh heh).

You mean Lilo. And yes, Lilo will get it right. then you'll just edit
/etc/lilo.conf and run lilo after the edit so that you can dual boot.

I've never really been a fan of dual boot scenarios. But I do recommend
running VirtualBox - especially if you want to sandbox something in an
environment where you can just rollback to a previous snapshot until you
get it right (instead of having to go through an entire
fdisk/format/mount/install/config process that keeps you up until the
wee hours of the morning.

Oh, and of course, not leaving out pertinent items about the steps you
followed during the installation process helps too ;)

I hope that helps :)

(Continue reading)

Insomniac | 11 Mar 17:31 2012
X-Face

Re: Not staying installed correctly... (kinda long) -possibly solved

On Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:43 Bradley D. Thornton wrote:

> On 03/11/2012 05:32 AM, Insomniac wrote:
> > to boot again into my opensuse, I was unplugging the opensuse hdd from
> > the MOBO and switching the boot sequence in the BIOS so that the
> > secondary hdd was the only hdd to boot after the CDROM. Apparently this
> > messes things up somewhere, somehow.
> 
> So you were leaving out the most relevant parts?

  No, but the BIOS or something somewhere was changing what I had originally kept making 
as /dev/sda back to what it was supposed to be, which was /dev/sdb. I just didn't know 
anything other than I could do that, heh.

> 
> >   Looks like I'm going to have to make sure my backup of my main hdd is
> >   as up-to-date as I
> > 
> > need and try the installation with both hdd's plugged in and hope I can
> > make YaST get the boot sequence thing right (at least until I'm able to
> > work a while with Slackware and see if I end up liking it better, and
> > then who knows what may happen, heh heh).
> 
> You mean Lilo. And yes, Lilo will get it right. then you'll just edit
> /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo after the edit so that you can dual boot.
> 
> I've never really been a fan of dual boot scenarios. But I do recommend
> running VirtualBox - especially if you want to sandbox something in an
> environment where you can just rollback to a previous snapshot until you
> get it right (instead of having to go through an entire
(Continue reading)

Bradley D. Thornton | 12 Mar 02:55 2012
Picon

Re: Not staying installed correctly... (kinda long) -possibly solved


On 03/11/2012 09:31 AM, Insomniac wrote:

>   Meh, I don't really mind, so long as at some point when I finally do ask for help, a 
> word or something spoken/written/read can make a huge difference, and it did by someone 
> replying here and a last-ditch attempt at a different choice of words on a search engine. 
> Worked just like in physics or calculus...you can be learning things just fine and 
> suddenly run into a wall where nothing makes any sense and all it takes is hearing or 
> reading something explained in just a slightly more different way than everyone else has 
> said it and it all suddenly makes sense again.
> 

Don't even go there dude. I have a daughter in the 10th grade and I'm
reliving this all over again LOL!

Good to know that you got it solved!

--

-- 
Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services
NorthTech Computer
TEL: +1.310.388.9469  (US)
TEL: +44.203.318.2755 (UK)
TEL: +41.43.508.05.10 (CH)
http://NorthTech.US

Rich Shepard | 12 Mar 14:16 2012

Re: Not staying installed correctly... (kinda long) -possibly solved

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012, Bradley D. Thornton wrote:

>>   Looks like I'm going to have to make sure my backup of my main hdd is
>> as up-to-date as I need ...

> ... running VirtualBox - especially if you want to sandbox something in an
> environment where you can just rollback to a previous snapshot until you
> get it right

   Take a close look at Dirvish (www.dirvish.org) for backups. It's a wrapper
around rsync and saves the differences in files so it does not consume a lot
of external drive space.

   Dirvish's documentation is a bit obtuse, but the help on the mail list
(extremely low volume) takes care of the questions.

   I turn on the external hard drice each evening when I log out, and the
cron job to run dirvish on all important partitions runs at 00:30 each day.

   On January 31st this year, the 15-month-old WD Caviar Black 500G hard
drive in my server failed about noon time. This was the first hard drive
failure I experienced since a Seagate ST-225 failed in 1991. And, the Black
is known to be a high-reliabillity drive with a 5-year warranty. Which, of
course, makes no difference when the drive fails.

   Anyway, I had to buy a replacement because my local vendor does the
warranty replacement for only the first 12 months (but WD sent me a brand
new 500G Caviar Black that's now a spare here.)

   I keep daily dirvish backups for 14 days (and the Sunday backups for 4
(Continue reading)

Insomniac | 11 Mar 17:32 2012
X-Face

Re: Not staying installed correctly... SOLVED

On Sunday, March 11, 2012 01:29 Insomniac wrote:

<snip>

  Covered what I did in a couple posts after this original one.

--

-- 
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.  -Edmund Burke

Gmane