Rich Shepard | 11 Mar 22:12 2012

Encrypting Portable Hard Drive

   Has anyone here experience creating and using dm-crypt with cryptsetup on a
laptop? I'm considering protecting the hard drive contents on the portable
because I travel with it and it holds both personal and client information.

   Because I have no experience with encrypted drives I appreciate learning
from those who do have such experience.

Rich
zux | 11 Mar 22:44 2012
Picon

Re: Encrypting Portable Hard Drive

i use encryption on my laptop. works great. the readme in slackware
install root folder is all you need. i recommend doing crypt + lvm. i
had some problems with initrd, but those where my problems, the readme
is great.

On 03/11/2012 11:12 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Has anyone here experience creating and using dm-crypt with
> cryptsetup on a
> laptop? I'm considering protecting the hard drive contents on the
> portable
> because I travel with it and it holds both personal and client
> information.
>
>   Because I have no experience with encrypted drives I appreciate
> learning
> from those who do have such experience.
>
> Rich

./configure --with-mozzerella=yes --with-tomatoes=yes --with-herbes&&  make pizza-all&&  mount -t
stomachacid /dev/stomach /mnt/stomach&&  make install DESTDIR=/mnt/stomach&&  umount
/dev/stomach&&  sleep 3600&&  cat /dev/stomach>  /dev/toilet
(Continue reading)

Rich Shepard | 11 Mar 22:53 2012

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012, zux wrote:

> i use encryption on my laptop. works great. the readme in slackware
> install root folder is all you need. i recommend doing crypt + lvm. i had
> some problems with initrd, but those where my problems, the readme is
> great.

   Thanks, zux. Some time this week I'll read the README and learn how to
proceed post-installation.

Rich
Insomniac | 13 Mar 15:37 2012
X-Face

On Sunday, March 11, 2012 16:53 Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012, zux wrote:
> > i use encryption on my laptop. works great. the readme in slackware
> > install root folder is all you need. i recommend doing crypt + lvm. i had
> > some problems with initrd, but those where my problems, the readme is
> > great.
>
>    Thanks, zux. Some time this week I'll read the README and learn how to
> proceed post-installation.
>
> Rich

  There's this too, Rich...  http://sd4l.sourceforge.net/

  It's Scramdisk and started back in the late '90's for M$ but forked to Linux ~2000. It
explains more/better on the website. Just throwing more out there so one has more of a
choice is all, not saying one app is better or anything.

  John

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.  -Edmund Burke
Rich Shepard | 13 Mar 21:21 2012

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012, Insomniac wrote:

>  There's this too, Rich...  http://sd4l.sourceforge.net/

John,

   Thank you.

Rich

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |   Integrity - Credibility - Innovation
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |    Helping Ensure Our Clients' Futures
x y | 11 Mar 22:58 2012

On 03/11/2012 02:12 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Has anyone here experience creating and using dm-crypt with
> cryptsetup on a
> laptop? I'm considering protecting the hard drive contents on the
> portable
> because I travel with it and it holds both personal and client
> information.
Ya, Rich. I got 3 1Tb encrypted volumes all managed by cryptsetup. There
are a few issues with it, though.
First, transparent mounting and unmounting of the encrypted partitions
will probably not work, seems the automount system for the window
managers is a little buggy. Things work nicely from command line, just
mount and unmount from there.

I've not had much luck getting a Windows machine to work with Linux
created encrypted containers, not saying it can't be done, just that
I've never got it to work.

An alternative in the event of windows truecrypt shares making their way
to your systems is to install truecrypt, easy to install and works with
all that winstuff.

>   Because I have no experience with encrypted drives I appreciate
> learning
> from those who do have such experience.
One of the best spots for info is the Slackware install cd. PV and crew
have put a nice little tut on it for us. Beyond that, if you run into
problems, just ask!

> Rich
(Continue reading)

Rich Shepard | 12 Mar 14:22 2012

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012, x y wrote:

> Ya, Rich. I got 3 1Tb encrypted volumes all managed by cryptsetup. There
> are a few issues with it, though. First, transparent mounting and
> unmounting of the encrypted partitions will probably not work, seems the
> automount system for the window managers is a little buggy. Things work
> nicely from command line, just mount and unmount from there.

   When I go this route, all partitions on the laptop (/, /home, /opt) will
be encrypted and mounted/unmounted when the system boots and shutd down.

> I've not had much luck getting a Windows machine to work with Linux created
> encrypted containers, not saying it can't be done, just that I've never got
> it to work.

   I've not done anything Microsoft since '97. Other than all clients (and
regulatory agencies) all using Microsoft, I could not care less about it.

> One of the best spots for info is the Slackware install cd. PV and crew
> have put a nice little tut on it for us. Beyond that, if you run into
> problems, just ask!

   Thank you.

Rich

Gmane