Insomniac | 13 Mar 22:28 2012
X-Face

/tmp folders and files dleteable?

Hi folks,

  Say I download from the SlackBuilds repository some app. I also download all the
necessary things to build it with (app.SlackBuild, app.info, etc). I go through the motion
of building it with ./app.SlackBuild and it puts the new app.tgz file in /tmp in root.

  I then install that app.tgz and I'm done. Now I want to clean up. So I go to /tmp and
see app.tgz and a folder with all the files and folders it came with and was untarred to
to build it.

  Can I delete this tarball and the folder or is the app now working *from* that folder
now that it's installed?

  Hopefully I'm making sense, as I want to try out Icecat and the tarball alone is 500+ MB
and to have a folder of it also now takes up 1 GB, then to have a built tgz of it will
make a grand total of 1.5 GB - all redundant, at least it seems so to me, thus my asking
this question.

  John

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.  -Edmund Burke
Alan Hicks | 14 Mar 03:44 2012
Picon

Re: /tmp folders and files dleteable?

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:28:30 -0500
Insomniac <Insomniactoo <at> localnet.com> wrote:

>   Can I delete this tarball and the folder or is the app now working
> *from* that folder now that it's installed?

Yes, you can delete that folder safely. I'm assuming of course that
you're using a decent Slackbuild script. If you want to see what files
a package uses, just do this:

  # less /var/log/packages/app

Ecclesiastes 7:5
Bradley D. Thornton | 14 Mar 09:07 2012

On 03/13/2012 02:28 PM, Insomniac wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>   Say I download from the SlackBuilds repository some app.

Actually, you only download the SlackBuild tarball from there. The app
you download from the upstream developer via the link provided.

Without getting into bumping versions or anything, Let me explain how I
typically like to set things up. Since I'm mentioning this it would be
kewl to hear what deviations from the stock SBo that others have adopted
too ;)

I work a lot with NIS and other environments where it just makes sense
to have shared resources that are available to many machines as local,
and even for one off boxes I tend to do the same for convenience sake.

# mkdir -p /usr/local/packages
# mkdir -p /usr/local/slackbuilds

Now, take a look into any *.Slackbuild file and locate the following
section. Note that I've already made the affecting changes that will
take advantage of our new package repo area.

<code>
CWD=$(pwd)
TMP=${TMP:-/tmp/SBo}
PKG=$TMP/package-$PRGNAM
OUTPUT=${OUTPUT:-/usr/local/packages}
(Continue reading)

Robby Workman | 14 Mar 16:48 2012
Picon

Re: /tmp folders and files dleteable?

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 01:07:10 -0700
"Bradley D. Thornton" <Bradley <at> NorthTech.US> wrote:

> <code>
> CWD=$(pwd)
> TMP=${TMP:-/tmp/SBo}
> PKG=$TMP/package-$PRGNAM
> OUTPUT=${OUTPUT:-/usr/local/packages}
> </code>
>
> The $OUTPUT var is pointing to my new packages repo.

There's no need to make edits even -- you can pass OUTPUT values
to the script when it's executed, e.g.

  OUTPUT=/usr/local/packages ./appname.SlackBuild

> on line 10 of /etc/sbopkg/sbopkg.conf, change the target as follows...
>
> <code>
> export OUTPUT=${OUTPUT:-/usr/local/packages}
> </code>

You should be able to do this in your shell init files, e.g.
root's .profile and/or .bashrc, depending on your setup.

-RW
(Continue reading)

Rich Shepard | 14 Mar 13:29 2012

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012, Insomniac wrote:

>  Can I delete this tarball and the folder or is the app now working *from*
> that folder now that it's installed?

John,

   Delete with confidence.

   You can use 'ls /var/log/packages | <application>' to see what's
installed, and 'which <application>' will return the directory (usually
/usr/bin/) where the executable is located.

   When you build from slackbuilds.org scripts <http://www.slackbuilds.org/)
you can use 'installpkg /tmp/≤package_name>' or 'upgradepkg
/tmp<package_name>' as appropriate.

Rich
Insomniactoo | 14 Mar 14:55 2012
X-Face

Re: /tmp folders and files dleteable?

Thanks for all the answers and help with this guys!

Gmane