Insomniac | 20 Mar 08:52 2012
X-Face

Keyboard no longer works at boot...

Hi folks,

  I've been using the Slackware hdd of a dual-boot system for the past week+ exclusively
until this morning. I needed to reboot to get into my opensuse hdd to look up a couple
things I needed that I couldn't get from the Slackware side.

  When I was done, I rebooted the system so I could get back to the Slackware, but for
some reason my keyboard stops working just a second or two before I get the login prompt.
Until now, it's been working perfectly, and of course it's working on the opensuse side as
this is where I had to come to write this.

  During bootup, I did manage to catch something about fuse module not loaded (whatever
that is), and file system not clean (that's from having to hard boot unfortunately).

  I've not uninstalled *anything* other than some apps here and there that I'd built and
installed that were just simple things, nothing to do with hardware or the system/file
system.

  Anyone have any idea what happened or what I might can try to get back to using my
Slackware side?

  Thanks,

  John

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.  -Edmund Burke
TuxaneSoft | 21 Mar 09:26 2012

Re: Keyboard no longer works at boot...

Hi,
I guess you gave the answer yourself, when you did a hard boot , file-systems are likely not clean and some stuff won't get loaded.
You should start from a cd/usb live system and do fsck on all you partitions.
But I don't understand why you need to boot Suse to access it's files ?
I can't think of any reason why it should not be accessible from Slack ?

Jens
--

Cordialement,

Jens Weber

Email: <jens <at> tuxane.com>
SARL Burro-net <http://www.burro-net.com>
TuxaneSoft <http://www.tuxane.com>
7 Place du Pont
F- 66400 Ceret
Tel:+33 468827320
Siret: 503 676 124 00020
APE: 6206A
TVA: 20503676124
RCS Perpignan

[...]
Bob McConnell | 21 Mar 11:23 2012

TuxaneSoft wrote:
 > >   I've been using the Slackware hdd of a dual-boot system for the
past week+ exclusively
 > > until this morning. I needed to reboot to get into my opensuse hdd
to look up a couple
 > > things I needed that I couldn't get from the Slackware side.
 > >
 > >   When I was done, I rebooted the system so I could get back to the
Slackware, but for
 > > some reason my keyboard stops working just a second or two before I
get the login prompt.
 > > Until now, it's been working perfectly, and of course it's working
on the opensuse side as
 > > this is where I had to come to write this.
 > >
 > >   During bootup, I did manage to catch something about fuse module
not loaded (whatever
 > > that is), and file system not clean (that's from having to hard
boot unfortunately).

 > >   I've not uninstalled *anything* other than some apps here and
there that I'd built and
 > > installed that were just simple things, nothing to do with hardware
or the system/file
 > > system.
 > >
 > >   Anyone have any idea what happened or what I might can try to get
back to using my
 > > Slackware side?

> I guess you gave the answer yourself, when you did a hard boot ,
> file-systems are likely not clean and some stuff won't get loaded.
> You should start from a cd/usb live system and do fsck on all you
> partitions.
> But I don't understand why you need to boot Suse to access it's files ?
> I can't think of any reason why it should not be accessible from Slack ?

My first suspicion on the keyboard issue is that the Suse drivers
modified the hardware configuration in a way that the Slackware driver
couldn't restore it to the normal power up state. When you restarted,
did you power down the system? If not, shut it all the way down, pull
out the power cord, count to 15, then plug the power back in and start
it up. That should give it time for all the caps to discharge and return
everything to the normal start up condition.

Then figure out what partition and type the Suse file system is and how
to mount it. The normal mount point in a Slackware FS is /mnt/hd/. The
command I would use for starters looks something like this:

$> mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hd

The mount utility should be able to figure out the FS type on its own.
If you don't want to change it, append "-o ro" onto the end to make the
partition read-only.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP
Insomniac | 21 Mar 08:24 2012
X-Face

On Wednesday, March 21, 2012 03:26 TuxaneSoft wrote:

> Hi,
> I guess you gave the answer yourself, when you did a hard boot ,
> file-systems are likely not clean and some stuff won't get loaded.
> You should start from a cd/usb live system and do fsck on all you
> partitions.
> But I don't understand why you need to boot Suse to access it's files ?
> I can't think of any reason why it should not be accessible from Slack ?
>
> Jens

  I put the horse a little ahead of the carrot...I meant to write that the *first* time I
tried to boot back into Slackware after I'd done what I needed on the suse side the
keyboard wouldn't work. It was then that I had to hit the reset button because ctrl-alt-
del wouldn't work, nothing worked from the keyboard.

  The reason I had to boot into suse was because I needed a password I'd forgotten to
write down (but had thought I had and just couldn't find it). Not a big deal as I figured
I'd just boot into suse, get it and boot right back into slack. I had to open up seamonkey
on the suse hdd to get it. It was something that I was hoping would take all of 3 minutes
to get done. Normally I *can* transfer anything I want from the suse hdd to the slackware
hdd *from* slackware, but just not that password in seamonkey on the suse hdd.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.  -Edmund Burke

Gmane