Rich Shepard | 20 Apr 23:43 2012

Installing guest OS in qemu-kvm via aqemu

   To add topographic maps to my Garmin Oregon GPS receiver I need a machine
running windows. Since I've not used any Microsoft since '97 I bought a
win7/home, sp1, 64-bit cdrom and want to install it in a virtual machine on
my portalbe. Seems to me there are 3 steps involved: 1) install and
configure the VM; 2) install the guest OS in the VM; 3) run the guest OS.

   For step 1 I've built the SlackBuilds.org qemu-kvm and aqemu and installed
them on my portable. Running aqemu allows me to set up a VM. This seems to
be done correctly as there's an .img file in /root/.aqemu/.

   The aqemu menu/icon for 'Start' appears to be how step 3 is accomplished
since selecting this action brings up a message box that 'no boot device
found.'

   What I cannot find on the aqemu pages or with my Google searches is how to
install the guest OS from the optical drive into the VM. Please provide
pointers on how this works as I've not used a VM since I gave up on VMware
Workstation a half-dozen years ago.

Thanks,

Rich
Rich Shepard | 21 Apr 01:08 2012

Re: Installing guest OS in qemu-kvm via aqemu [RESOLVED]

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  What I cannot find on the aqemu pages or with my Google searches is how
> to install the guest OS from the optical drive into the VM. Please provide
> pointers on how this works as I've not used a VM since I gave up on VMware
> Workstation a half-dozen years ago.

   Figured it out.

   1) Created an .iso from the win7 cdrom.

   2) Ran 'qemu-img create -f qcow2 win7.img 10G'.

   3) Ran 'qemu -m 1024 -hda win7.img -cdrom win7sp1-home64.iso -boot d'

And it boots!

   Next I'll try step 3 invoking qemu-kvm.

Rich

Gmane